Let's talk Game Storage.

They’re not any bulkier than UGCs. I’ve owned both and UGCs are about the same size but way more fragile.

I waited for the bitboxes to go on sale so I could buy a bunch for a better price.

The custom game cases look better imo (than UCG & Bitboxes) because they include a manual clip without paying extra and there is no modifications necessary. I just want confirmation of that. I suppose I can buy 1 case for all my systems and see how it looks and feels. I like the clear boxes so you can put artwork on the underside like Switch games have sometimes.

TBH I would never box my entire collection. Just my favorites so either way I’m not boxing more than 15 games per console. Except for my GBA collection. I’d love to box them all in the DS style cases.

All I know is that Bitboxes ended up looking a lot better then I thought they would when I finally saw them in person. Made me want to get them even with the price, but I still haven’t made the leap yet.

I have a couple Bitboxes and UGCs I can take pictures of for you.

I’m not looking for universal game cases. There is a 3rd case to consider. I linked the website a few posts up.

Sorry for the confusion. I thought I had asked if you wanted side by side pictures of the UGCs and the Custom Game Cases. Anyway it turns out I wrote an article on cases for loose games last year and I still had the pictures. Let me know if you need more. It seems my GBC case is old and they include the manual clips found on the NES cases now.

I love the way the Custom Game Cases look. I know I don’t want to get the UGC. Do those clips on the CGC scratch your carts?

I think the bit benefit with bit boxes at the moment is that they have famicom ones. Some people really want all their boxes to be the same size unless its hand held where they should all conform to the DS/3DS height.

I was actually thinking if i went the CGC route, I would go with clear so I could put art on the underside. I said this before. Do you have any clear boxes? How transparent or opaque are they?

I have a lot of special to me Famicom carts so I am waiting to see what CGC does. I want my Rockman Set to be displayed.

My my experience the clips don’t scratch the carts. The cases themselves are sturdy. My son dropped one on the floor and one of the clips broke off but there wasn’t any damage to the cart or manual.

I’m sorry I don’t have any of the clear ones.

If you’re looking for a display piece you might want to look at Rose Colored Gaming. They have all sorts of displays.

https://www.rosecoloredgaming.com/

https://www.rosecoloredgaming.com/shop/super-mario-bros-nes-cartridge-display-stand/

Me and RCG had an issue and I am not buying from him anymore. I think those are cool. If someone else made them I would think about it. His work photographs well but is often not the premium I expect when paying what he’s charging.

This is what I did. Or rather, this is what I had my dad do. I basically drew up a rough sketch of how I wanted it and he was kind enough to build me my shelves.

By the way, I finally ordered those shelves. They’ll be here in January. Bascially, It will be a 62" wide “bookcase” of white shelves that are a little over 6" deep each. Here’s the basic placement next to the sofa:

There’s a chance I may add a few more shelves up high to the left of the sofa for books, but I’m not sure yet.

In the future, I will likely opt to expand to another wall so that I can store some vinyl and books with the same type of shelves. Vinyl storage looks really cool with them:

Or maybe something like this with the books on top:

Then the project after that will be cabinets built into the wall for my consoles and wall-mounting my CRTs (very VERY far down the line). Kinda like this, but replace the artwork with a widescreen TV and all the drawers with the left most cabinet piece:

1 Like

Peltz you and I could build a beautiful home together :stuck_out_tongue:

My wife and I have wildly different tastes lol.

I need to choose a spouse who loves the midcentury modern stuff. Male or female, I don’t care. I just need the dual income for more shelves :sweat_smile:

I ordered 3 Hemnes from ikea. Well, actually 4 units 2 units are next to each other. 2 sets on each side of the TV. I liked the look of these, but you’re limited to how high and how low you can place the shelves. I didn’t mind too much because my consoles boxes take up the bottom shelf. Seems to House the Genesis games nicely. https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20371764/ !

I thought about the Billy bookcases, but I didn’t like the look and wanted some depth.

1 Like

I use the extra narrow ones in my set-up. This photo is outdated as that little CRT is now a PVM, but the shelves are there.

Are those laserdiscs you have framed? If so, awesome!!

That they are! Walked into a Half Price books the day a gentleman dropped off his collection and they just put the box out front and priced them all $1 each so I picked some favorites :slight_smile:

Sweet Sega collection. :+1:

I just got two of the IRIS boxes. They are EXCELLENT! Great size! I need to order a few more. Unfortunately, one of them got a cracked near the handle. It’s perfectly functional and I don’t feel like hassling with returns so I’m going to continue using it. I was able to get my DS collection into them but I’ve got lots more stuff that needs a home. Thanks again!

What shelf unit has the utmost space efficiency and storage capacity? Can fit the most stuff, floor to ceiling, minimal amount of bulk from dividers/doors/etc. I just want shelf space to cram my stuff (albeit neatly) but also not take up a lot of floor space. Basically trying to become organized by going up vertically and using up all that wasted air space.

Same for a media center unit. I have a small 1-BR apt, but my goal in mind to move my retro stuff and CRTs out of my bedroom and into as compact and clean a layout as possible in my living room. I don’t know where to begin to look for what I’m thinking of in my head. My OSSC is also underutilized (Wii only) and would work toward having a setup where I can send any console signal to either the HDTV/OSSC or any of the CRTs. The latter I can already do with my matrix switch and 5 CRTs.