Let's talk Game Storage.

I ordered 3 Hemnes from ikea. Well, actually 4 units 2 units are next to each other. 2 sets on each side of the TV. I liked the look of these, but you’re limited to how high and how low you can place the shelves. I didn’t mind too much because my consoles boxes take up the bottom shelf. Seems to House the Genesis games nicely. https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20371764/ !

I thought about the Billy bookcases, but I didn’t like the look and wanted some depth.

1 Like

I use the extra narrow ones in my set-up. This photo is outdated as that little CRT is now a PVM, but the shelves are there.

Are those laserdiscs you have framed? If so, awesome!!

That they are! Walked into a Half Price books the day a gentleman dropped off his collection and they just put the box out front and priced them all $1 each so I picked some favorites :slight_smile:

Sweet Sega collection. :+1:

I just got two of the IRIS boxes. They are EXCELLENT! Great size! I need to order a few more. Unfortunately, one of them got a cracked near the handle. It’s perfectly functional and I don’t feel like hassling with returns so I’m going to continue using it. I was able to get my DS collection into them but I’ve got lots more stuff that needs a home. Thanks again!

What shelf unit has the utmost space efficiency and storage capacity? Can fit the most stuff, floor to ceiling, minimal amount of bulk from dividers/doors/etc. I just want shelf space to cram my stuff (albeit neatly) but also not take up a lot of floor space. Basically trying to become organized by going up vertically and using up all that wasted air space.

Same for a media center unit. I have a small 1-BR apt, but my goal in mind to move my retro stuff and CRTs out of my bedroom and into as compact and clean a layout as possible in my living room. I don’t know where to begin to look for what I’m thinking of in my head. My OSSC is also underutilized (Wii only) and would work toward having a setup where I can send any console signal to either the HDTV/OSSC or any of the CRTs. The latter I can already do with my matrix switch and 5 CRTs.

Well, Vitsoe is what I’ve recommended above, but it’s very pricey for sure. Still, they’re wall mounted shelves and save a ton of floor space.

Another option I like is the Ikea Eket series. They are also wall-mountable and could hold a ton of games in a minimal space.

An option for space saving when it comes to CRTs that people here don’t talk about much is wall mounting them. Tons of bars and restaurants had wall-mounted CRTs, and the mounts themselves aren’t too pricey. On Ebay, a lot of the mounts go second hand for under 50 bucks and would look pretty slick next to a wall mounted HDTV:

You could put a SCART switch beneath something like this one rather than the VCR:

For some reason, I never see CRTs wall mounted in anyone’s retro-setup. Not sure why though. It seems like a perfectly logical solution.

I would be terrified of a CRT falling/breaking off and killing my cats or child.

Operation CRT rip my wall apart.

Most walls are stronger than you realize.

It’s not the wall it’s the mountings.

"The safety experts at Sharp Electronics also shared with Safe Sound Family the following TV safety tips:

The best solution to keep the TV out of harms way is to mount it on the wall so there’s no chance of it toppling off stands. Manufacturer approved brackets, braces and wall straps should be used to ensure TVs are fastened securely. Install the TV where it cannot be pushed, pulled over or knocked down."

See my post above about the Ikea Besta frame. You can put a bunch of those together vertically and you’ll have excellent amounts of space for games at a perfect size that minimizes the square footage of floor you take away to put them up. You can mount them on walls and combine them and if you really want doors, you can put those on them too. I think they’re the most efficient use of space for visible bookshelf-style game storage at a reasonable price.

What does everyone do for loose Game Gear or Ganeboy cartridges? Right now I have gameboy games in a stack on a shelf. And because the GG games do not stack, there just in a travel bag.

@Peltz @DaveLong Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to take a good look at these. This stuff nags at me and keeps me up!

Barring the unforeseen, I’ll have a new picture to post here on Monday evening. Fingers crossed

I store most games in storage bins!

1 Like

I don’t have GG games, but I’ve sought out the plastic dust covers for my loose GB games to at least have that. Then I just have them on a shelf. They’re not too expensive luckily. Even official ones.
I’ve seen people have these display racks that they use for GB games these days but I feel that’s really space inefficient, even though it does look really nice.

Welp, this finally happened. I think it looks pretty good.

imageimage

I’m not used to having my video game collection on display like this. I’m not going to lie… I feel a bit naked or exposed now that it’s up there. I have to get accustomed to it.

It sort of changes the dynamic of the room in ways I didn’t expect. It somehow makes the space in front of it feel more open and empty (I’m not sure why). I think I need a piece of furniture in front of it to give it some scale.

6 Likes