GBS 82XX - Upscale, deinterlace and now downsample

Yep, if the game will do 640 x 480 you should be good.

This is going to be great! I have a Corio but itā€™s kind of a painā€¦ and I love new thinks to mess around with. Probably have to wait for that fully assembled version but Iā€™ll be grabbing one.

1 Like

Someone in Canada is selling pre-built GBS scalers. (doesnā€™t have the clock mod, unfortunately)

gbsccc

$64.99+Shipping

1 Like

Tidy.

Iā€™m about to fit the clock generator to mine. Iā€™m getting some horizontal tearing on PS2 480p and whilst Iā€™m not sure itā€™s the game I figure Iā€™ll fit it anyway.

Anybody else done so?

How hard is this to use for downscaling? At that price I may actually bite if itā€™s fairly plug-and-play.

Also, what are you guys using to convert from HDMI to this for downscaling?

Yeah, Iā€™ve done the clock gen mod, Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ve noticed any tearing at 480p before adding it though. Fingers crossed it solves the tearing!

@Peltz - Itā€™s just a case of toggling the option in the Web GUI.

Since you need RGBS (or Ypbpr) to downscale a normal HDMI to VGA wonā€™t work, so Iā€™ve been using component where I can. Should be good to go with an HDMI to Component transcoder. If you have an Extron RGB unit then you could also use that instead with any HDMI to VGA converter:

HDMI to VGA (RGBHV) > Extron for RGBS > GBScaler

1 Like

Thanks. Man I just wish we had an all in one device that takes HDMI and outputs analogue downscaled.

I know itā€™s a simple conversion, but I have to imagine there is a market for such a device right?

1 Like

I think the OSSC Pro might fill that void, I know itā€™s going to simplify my chain by removing a lot of the devices for sure including the GBS.

1 Like

Yeah, is the OSSC pro does good downscaling Iā€™ll jump on it for sure. If the upscaling is good enough I may even buy 2 and trade one out for my Framemeister.

1 Like

All things point to it being a beast of a machine. Marqs has been great at implementing community suggestions too so I can see it perfecting things like downscaling if not immediately but eventually. I think Iā€™m more excited for the OSSC Pro then next-gen hardware.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the ETA on it?

iirc it was pencilled in for late 2020 but I get the feeling it wonā€™t make it.

Someone asked Marqs a few weeks ago on an ETA:

A second prototype board should be finished soon. Estimates on release date etc. will have to wait until thatā€™s on my hands and verified. Itā€™s also worth remembering that even if the prototype HW works flawlessly and is ready for production, firmware is still far from the point which I feel comfortable releasing it with.

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™ve never messed with any upscalers or similar external hardware. Just RGB -> CRT for me. But Iā€™m going to remodel my living room eventually and wouldnā€™t mind having the option of taking a console from my basement CRT setup into the living room for limited times. A single input with an upscaler where I could swap a console in and out (or not use it all when I donā€™t feel like it) would be nice. Have considered a Framemeister before but feel an OSSC or RetroTink would be the best option at this point.

If a new OSSC is coming out, thatā€™s worth watching for me.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in no rush, which is good since Iā€™d wait a bit after it comes out to see about a second revision anyway. I always get in too early on these things.

1 Like

I just really wish that 4K up scaling was coming sooner. Going to have to wait quite a bit longer for that though.

1 Like

Looks like the guy selling these pre-built boards will be adding the clock gen mod. Price bump up to $74.99

EDIT: Good article on the downscale feature: https://medium.com/rgb-inside/gbs-8200-gbs-control-hands-on-with-the-downscale-feature-f65d3b6907be

4 Likes

So I just read VGPā€™s post announcing the OSSC Pro ā€¦ wow, it really does look like a beast of a device. As I said, Iā€™ve never messed with any upscalers but from what I know and have read, it looks just amazing. Pretty much a wishlist of all the stuff people have wanted for years. ā€¦ And then add the possibility of turning it into a MiSTerā€¦ geez. I think Iā€™m going to have to get on the wait list for this one.

1 Like

Link please?

1 Like

Iā€™m assuming itā€™s this:

[edit - I think it is this, but I shouldnā€™t be assuming things and answering on othersā€™ behalf. Apologies.]

1 Like

Yes that is the one. Itā€™s from January, was linked earlier in the thread. Iā€™m just now catching up!

2 Likes