GBS 82XX - Upscale, deinterlace and now downsample

I ended up grabbing one of these and it is worth the money. It works great. I did have to use the power cable to get it to play nice with my Extron unit but I’m happy to report that it passes 720p, 1080p, and audio to my capture card no problem. Haven’t tried it for downscaling yet. Part of the reason I wanted it was to simplify audio a bit.

I also started work on my Sync combiner units. Will report back on them soon.

4 Likes

I’m assuming you disabled the range protection for 720p/1080p? Do you know if the sync is still 75 ohm or does it become TTL? I haven’t gotten around to testing it myself but it would be nice to get 480p RGBS into the OSSC’s SCART port with 75 ohm sync since it’s not spec’d for TTL.

What’s the OneTask?

1 Like

That’s my Corio 1T-CT-400 scaler unit. It was the first piece of hardware I got that could do downscaling and so far it is still my favorite. The thing I really like about this unit is that it can scale any signal down to 240P. It doesn’t have to be 480p first which is great for my PS4Pro.

Tons of info about it over at shmups. I was fortunate and found one early for $50.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=63226

1 Like

Interesting, thanks!

1 Like

You bet!

I’m assuming you disabled the range protection for 720p/1080p? Do you know if the sync is still 75 ohm or does it become TTL? I haven’t gotten around to testing it myself but it would be nice to get 480p RGBS into the OSSC’s SCART port with 75 ohm sync since it’s not spec’d for TTL.

@Vespa All I had to do to get it to play nice with 720/1080p was plug in the power cable. No idea about the Sync level.

1 Like

That’s fascinating, I’m not sure how it’s letting anything above 15khz through!

• Protection from sync signal >15 KHz (can be disabled with a solder jumper).
  • Blocks sync signals that are out of range (useful when connecting old arcade monitors).

Mine just arrived today. PS2 with the motion adaptive deinterlacing chained through to my OSSC looks amazing coming from the Bob deinterlace just using the OSSC. Very happy with the results.

3 Likes

that’s what I wanted to hear in this thread! might just get one now, but funnily enough I’ve come to peace with the bob deinterlacing of the OSSC, coupled with scanlines. it’s a very period accurate look, but the flicker is kind of distracting and who knows if it will lead to burn in.

1 Like

Yeah I didn’t really mind the bob through the OSSC a whole lot but seeing this in action it’s pretty nice looking I could be fooled to think it was actually native 480p it’s great. It also does everything I wanted it to do it lets me pass through everything I want it to and now that I’ve fiddled with it for a night I don’t think I’ll have to keep reconfiguring it.

3 Likes
2 Likes

1h long!

1 Like

He tests a TON of games.

2 Likes

anybody used the control with a PSP? are there any presets to zoom in on the letterboxed window?

I’ve used the 1080p preset and a PSP on a VGA CRT and then used the CRT’s scaling controls to expand it:

I can’t remember if I used the GBS’ H and V scale options alongside the monitors to achieve this though.

Not tried the GBS Control on an LCD but have used an OSSC+LCD which will perfectly sample the active area:

(monitor has no aspect ratio control so it’s squished to 4:3)

2 Likes

Unfortunately the OSSC’s PSP mode isn’t compatible with my screen, it just loses sync. With the GBS Control I tried increasing the H and V scale but there comes a point where the picture goes all wonky, without being close to covering most of the screen. I was starting with the 720p preset though. I’ll try the 1080p one. The only problem with that is that it’s inherently a 4:3 resolution.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve come across the same issue with it going wonky past a certain threshold. Ah, that’s a shame about it not working with your screen. Hmm, 1080p will probably be the same as in need some sort of scaling I assume. The PSP’s windowed output really is an annoyance.

2 Likes

It is. I have a preset I fiddled around with on the OSSC that gives me decent screen real estate but the window still kind of leaves you with that feeling of “what could have been”. I just want to play Crisis Core in full screen lol

Ironically, the PS1 classics when the PSP output is set to interlace outputs perfect 240p in 4:3, it’s so good. If I ever get a CRT, it’s as simple as plugging in the component cables and playing all manner of PS1 games

2 Likes

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I decided to jump in and build one of these things. I do have a question though.

Most of the consoles I want to use are RGB SCART what are the requirements to get that up and running? I’ve seen a few bits of conflicting information and came away confused. Is there a one size fits all solution that would also accept a 240p and 480p signals over RGB? Obviously trying to keep costs down as low as possible as that’s the entire reason I built this thing. I do already have a SCART to RGBS adapter that came with my PVM so if that makes things any simpler.

It’s best to post on the official thread on shmups forum, I only use mine with VGA

1 Like