Lo-Fi and Poverty Retro Streams - Share your experiences and tips

Paging @DaveLong. I always liked to record my play sessions, since the old VHS days of bypassing a RCA cable into a VCR input to record some crude 1CC El Viento gameplay, even if I never showed that to anyone. If your are like me and thought “hey, maybe it could be fun to do that nowadays”, but already watched anyone streaming, chances are that you thought that you have to spend some serious money before actually doing anything.

But fret not, now its easier than ever to capture your gaming session, and best of it all, without spending with additional hardware, so you can spend more in games that already are. Potato quality, of course, but the enjoyment is the same.

In this thread, we can share some tips to capture or stream game sessions.

You’ll need this.gif

1. Smartphone (and not the latest one as well, I’m rocking a iphone 5 from centuries ago, almost as retro as my games)
  2. A twitch or youtube account
  3. A good, stable internet connection and a router that you can you can pick a good wi-fi signal near the place that you want to record.

Open your twitch or youtube app and press “stream now”, point your phone to the screen (you can use a tripod if you are feeling rich or some piled books) and remember, if you’re doing it only for yourseft or others, don’t forget to have fun!

PS - Streaming on phones on busy times (like after 8PM) can make your stream unstable, if you can, use another device (like another phone, PC, laptop or tablet) to check if your stream is actually running. But this isn’t required.

Anyway, here is my twitch account

2 Likes

I tried that a few months ago. It works well but you do need a quality internet connection. I couldn’t have a good enough bandwidth to stream and no one could watch it.

1 Like

Yeah, but in my experience I think it’s more fault of the router than a fast connection. When my ISP exchanged a faulty router for a dual band one, I was able to stream better than before because of the extended range and stability.

But as I said, I cannot stream at peak time for more than 5 minutes without timing out. Maybe try to stream at other hours. We can help you to troubleshoot some issues.

So I was thinking about a dual video setup involving one camera on me playing on a 240p arcade cab, and another direct feed straight from the source.

For the upscaled direct feed, an OSSC would look great, but I’m not concerned about lag, so that’s probably overkill. Are there any worthwhile upscalers that are cheap and easily powered to get a decent picture to send to twitch?

1 Like

IMG_2886

Sorry, can’t help you there.

1 Like

What resolution are you wanting to stream at? I would assume you’d want to integer scale it to keep your image quality looking crisp. 4x @ 960p would give you a nice 1080p stream with black bars.

Also what signal would you be outputting into the scaler?

Yeah this is all theoretical at this point. I feel like once I put money in to it then I’m committed.

A crisp picture would be ideal, the 960p would be ideal, although a lot of arcade games have slightly varying resolutions.

The signal would be from a 15khz groovymame PC setup, probably using a VGA splitter to feed to both the upscaler and jamma/jpac.

Might be a little tough to find on the cheap… if you search for a VGA to HDMI upscaler, you’re mostly going to find models that are meant to be used with a 31khz VGA signal from a PC. You might be better off to convert your VGA out to component video before feeding into a scaler.