rask's gaming, mods, and repairs.

I enjoyed the marble game review on your site. Looking forward to more!

1 Like

Thanks!

Just posted up a really simple mod to make the Amiga 2000 so quiet you can’t hear it at all when it’s running!

Unless you’ve got one of those old SCSI hard drives… my word they are crazy loud.

https://raskulous.com/2020/02/amiga-2000-power-supply-fan-mod/

1 Like

Here’s a write-up and guide for modding your N64 for a couple bucks for RGB output.

https://raskulous.com/2020/02/n64-rgb-mod-with-diy-7316-amp/

I modded my PS1 this morning to add in the switch board for the PSIO. Pretty tough install, easily the smallest soldering work I’ve done. The little VIAs on this board are much smaller than a pin head.

And a banana screwdriver for scale

3 Likes

whistles Clean work! Any time you have to weld to vias that small it is a little nerve wracking. Great job.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’m happy with the results (at least the look of it anyway). Unfortunately it doesn’t work.

I’ve double and triple checked everything, and checked continuity on everything that I can. I’m at a loss here after spending all morning troubleshooting it.

I just sent off an email to the PSIO support people, hoping they can help. Maybe I got a dead Switch Board or a PSIO unit.

1 Like

Bummer! If you’ve checked continuity everywhere and everything is doing what it is supposed to be then it’s probably a bad IC or dead unit.

I think so, but I’m not used to working on stuff this small, so it’s feasible I could have messed something up for sure.

Yeah, great work @raskulous.

Always a bit jealous of yours and @Danexmurder super tidy wire routing.
I just tend to just go for shortest routes and end up having a spider on the PCB.

When I did my PSIO install I threaded the wire through the via and soldered them on the opposite side as I find it is easier to make a good/strong connection that way.

No idea why it is not working either as looks good.

Edit:
Maybe the traces you needed to cut are still connected?

2 Likes

Thanks for he kind words.

Maybe the traces you needed to cut are still connected?

I checked for that too.

• Pin 5 on the parallell port no longer connects to the ground plane.
  • The other two farther down the board are easy to trace where they go, and they actuall get wires soldered onto the other end as well, so if you don’t have continuity between the two wires, you’re good to go.
2 Likes

Darn.

The only other thing I could think to suggest is to try a different 5v source or try probing the PSIO switch board with a Logic Probe while it is on, otherwise I’d be inclined to say its either a bad EXT Socket or bad PSIO/switch board.

1 Like

I’d love to test that out, but I’m not sure what I’d be looking for while it’s running. I could make sure the board is getting 3.3v, but that’s about it.

1 Like

That looks so much nicer than mine - oddly the PSIO was one of the first mods I ever did which was pretty tough! - I’ve been meaning to go back in and fix it up but as it works fine I’ve just put it off.

That sucks it isn’t working, I had no issues - if you haven’t already I’d suggest raising a ticket and posting on the forum at the same time. Personally I’ve found Matt to be really helpful whenever I’ve interacted with him.

1 Like

I submitted a ticket, but didn’t know they had a forum. Thanks for the suggestion.

I got in my Game Gear goodies today and started work on it.

Time to say goodbye to the mostly stock system. I’ve recapped it previously and fitted a glass screen protector.

Taking some clean shots here in case I need to reference them later. Screw locations, etc. Always a good idea.

Out with the old! Need to remove the screen, CFL bulb, reflector, screen fuses, a power coil, some transistors, some capacitors, and some resistors. There also some teeny tiny bridging work that I wanted to do without using component legs. Was pretty tough to get right!

And this is where I had to stop. I don’t have thin enough gauge wire to solder properly to the ribbon connector, so I’ll have to wait for some 30 AWG wire to come in before I continue.

2 Likes

You’re off to a great start! Those bridges look clean!

1 Like

Finished up tonight. I’m super happy with the install and results!

Gus approves!

I didn’t like how the screen got in the way of using the iconic gold ‘gamebit’ screw on the back, so I cut it down and glued it in place. Much better than an empty hole in the shell.

1 Like

Some shots of the screen in action.

2 Likes

Awesome work! Nice and crispy.

1 Like