Retro Game Books & Literature |OT| - Butterfree in the sky, I can go twice as high!

I’ve seen some complaints on Amazon that Supercade has screenshots of emulated games and most of the photos are of fairly low resolution.

I ordered a cheap used copy to check it out. I’m kind of a sucker for old arcade photos and videos.

RE The current’t running Third Editions kickstarter:

First stretch goal has been announced and it’s “The Work of Taro Yoko: From Drakengard to NieR: Automata”.
b9769bc61c88e2c6d055a769830c7263_original

As a massive Taro fan I am thrilled. Apparently he (Taro Yoko) even wrote the forward for it.

Probably late to the party but I found out Pat Contri is currently working on a SNES Guidebook. Would love to pick up both books sometime in the future.

UPDATE: Pre-order is now available on the book.
URL: https://the-punk-effect.myshopify.com/products/ultimate-nintendo-guide-to-the-snes-library-book-pre-order

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1454/7672/products/SNES_NTSC_1024x1024.jpg?v=1533143333

Geeks-Line are back again with the SUPER NINTENDO ANTHOLOGY - The Ultimate Book on KickStarter. There’s two editions of the anthology. One focusing on the SNES hardware and another on the software.

Hardware version: 35 Euros (excluding P&P)
Software version: 40 Euros (excluding P&P)
Early Bird KS Bundle containing both books in a sleeve case: 65 Euros (excluding P&P) SOLD OUT

URL: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2099439603/super-nintendo-anthology-the-ultimate-book?ref=friends_launched

Backed it, but really unhappy with how they ship things. All my books from them come in a standard box with just one wrapping of bubble wrap with the corners all banged up. Really wish they would get those plastic corner protectors that a few other book sellers use these days, especially for their expensive/limited editions.

Probably best to raise it with them. They are pretty responsive from what I recall. I’d kick up fuss too if it came with dented corners and wear.

Yeah, I’m gonna. Been putting it off because I just haven’t had the time but have had the box/gamecube book sitting right next to my computer monitor since it arrived so I deal with it. Seeing the big red “FRAGILE HANDLE WITH CARE” sticker on a crushed box is kinda amusing in it’s own right.

1 Like

You know what? I’ll raise the issue too once the Kickstarter gets approved.

I just never know if it’s an issue with me being too caring about condition. Didn’t even know about those corner protectors for books till I started ordering things directly from other sites and not just through amazon. Know ROM and Bitmap Books both use them and they are amazing.

1 Like

Just wanted to say I got around to messaging Geeks-Line about my damaged GameCube book and got a response within the hour requesting pictures of the damage, which I sent and then got another response within 30 minutes saying they would be sending another one tomorrow.

I still wish I didn’t have such a problem with condition since it is a constant problem in this shipping based world but wanted to make sure to give them props for such good customer service.

2 Likes

Sweet! Glad to hear they were able to help you out. I have just finished raising the issue about their postage/shipping so hopefully they’ll take it into consideration for next year’s SNES Anthology launch.

1 Like

I may mention/request the corner protectors in the comments of the kickstarter. It looks like a few other people have brought up shipping conditions already though so seeing if any of them get a response as well first.

I just noticed a suite of French-only single-game focused books by Pix 'n Love on Amazon.

https://www.editionspixnlove.com/13-pix-n-love-le-mook

Anybody tried any of these?

I have Volume 1 of their Nintendo History, and according to my Amazon Orders list I also bought Vol 2 but memories of where exactly that is are a bit hazy. The prices of those two on the collectors market are £££s crazy

Regular numbered pixnlove books (“mooks”) are more like magazines, with a broad range of articles. Like the british magazine Retro Gamer. Unless you can read French I’d stay away from them.

Good to know. I can read French, but I’ll stay away as they don’t sound like my thing.

After a year, literally, I finished Console Wars. I really liked it, obviously the quasi-fictional conversational style was kind of annoying but I can see why the author decided to go that route as opposed to a more matter of fact list of things that happened. I was actually kind of sad finishing the book, not really, but it did remind me of a care free time in my life when I could play video games for hours a day and had little to no responsibility. Compare that to now with work, kids, endless chores, etc.

I started Blood, Sweat and Pixels recently. I like it so far although it has spoiled some games, Uncharted 4 mostly so far, but I don’t even have a PS4 so not a big deal. I just finished the chapter on Stardew Valley which was good.

Did you read it’s going to be a TV series? (was movie but the situation has apparently changed )

I did! I don’t have super high hopes but looking forward to it nonetheless.

I finished Blood, Sweat, and Pixels a couple days ago. I really enjoyed it. It had good background into recent game development. It makes some comments you see online, “why can’t CDPR put 3rd person in as an option for Cyberpunk” seem silly, lol. Also, confirms that I would never want to work in game development…not that I have the background to anyway.

I’m kind of on a role with gaming books, may try Service Games: The Rise and Fall of SEGA next.

Just to drag this out again: