RGB High Score Battle! - Battle #41: Ms. Pac-Man

Hey everyone! With winter coming, I have decided to start up the high score battles again. This time I’ll be doing one month each time, to allow lots of time for competition and for people to get their scores in.

I chose Ms. Pac-Man on the NES because it’s a fairly faithful arcade port, and it should be easily accessible to everyone. I hope you choose to compete, and have fun!

Ms. Pac-Man (Unl) is the correct ROM. This is the Tengen release, not the standard one.

Site is updated! Here’s our current week details:

WEEK 73 to 76
Game: Ms. Pac-Man
Platform(s): NES
Challenge Type: High Score
Game Details: Full Game
When: Oct 15th - Nov 14th, 2021
Chosen By: raskulous

I’ve updated the website with the new game, let’s get alien slaying!

Good luck everyone, please submit your scores via screenshot or video by replying directly to this post!

RULES

1. Competitions last two weeks, close on Sunday night @ midnight.
  2. Post screenshots in this thread as proof.
  3. The winner from the previous week chooses the next game to play.
  4. You cannot choose twice in a row. 2nd place will choose if someone wins two weeks in a row.
  5. If there’s a tie, the person that submitted the high score first gets to choose.
  6. Games must be high score compatible (think “arcade style scores” like Pac-Man, or Spy Hunter, not Super Mario).
  7. Emulation is okay (MAME is often the best for high scores).
  8. No save state manipulation (pausing to take a break is fine though).
  9. Submit scores as soon as you get them! To keep the competition rolling and fair, do not hold on until the last moment to submit.

Points will be awarded for the entrants, based on the position finished for the week. This is to encourage wider participation, and the points will be posted each week as well as on the website.

POSITION POINTS AWARDED
1st: 10 points
2nd: 7 points
3rd: 5 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
Any honest attempt: 1 point

Overall, we should keep it simple. This is just a good time, not a crazy official high score competition! Game plays should ideally be short and fun so people that can’t invest hours into this can still compete. Obviously we are working on a trust based system here, so don’t ruin it for the others!

Here’s a simple website I made to keep track of the competition.

2 Likes

For those of you running this on an everdrive, there are some different ROMs out there, and some don’t work.

The one included with the nointro ROM set didn’t work on my N8 Everdrive, but the one I found named “Ms. Pac-Man (USA) (Tengen) (Unl).nes” worked perfectly.

1 Like

I’ll be sure to participate, though I really doubt I’ll get any decent score in this.

Could we get the CRC HASH for the “Ms. Pac-Man (USA) (Tengen) (Unl).nes” ROM you are using?

Crap, I only have Ms. Pac-Man on the Genesis, I would’ve been glad to give it a shot otherwise.

Unfortunately the Genesis and SNES ports don’t play nearly as nice as this one.

You can always emulate it really easily with pretty much anything that will run an emulator.

The NES version gives you the option to play with the pac booster speed up, which changes the game drastically. Are we allowing this for the challenge or keeping it strictly original?

The .nes file is bd0e29b3
The zip file containing it is 8c6eda1b

Default settings, like this:

1 Like

Still no takers huh? Anyone planning on doing up some scores for this one?

I definitely want to, just need to find some time to sit down and play.

1 Like

I wanted to as well, just keep getting distracted with real life or other games when I have the time.

1 Like

I really like the idea of this and I hope to participate sometime. I only have access to a Nintendo Switch nowadays though, so I won’t be able to compete this month.

I have quite a few retro games for the Switch (Namco Museum, Atari Flashback Classics, SNK 40th Anniversary Collection, Capcom Arcade Stadium, Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection, Sega Mega Drive Classics, Sega Ages games and lots of Arcade Archives and ACA Neo Geo releases), so I hope you’ll consider picking one of those for a future high score battle.

Good luck to this month’s participants!

Glad to hear you’re on board! Do you have a computer or laptop that can emulate NES games?

I have a laptop, but I don’t use it for gaming.

Also, when I moved to my current home I sold all my original retro hardware + games (with pain in my heart, I must add), so it’s just the Switch now, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

My lame attempt:

Ms._Pac-Man_USA_Tengen_Unl_001

2 Likes

Slight Improvement by aiming for higher score in lower levels:

Ms._Pac-Man_USA_Tengen_Unl_002

1 Like

The enemies become way too fast as you get farther into the game…

But here is my best thus far:

Ms._Pac-Man_USA_Tengen_Unl_003

Level 8 appears to be my limit.

1 Like

Getting better… two really dumb mistakes cost me some lives though.

1 Like

Page updated with the latest scores