Nintendo Wii Appreciation/Collectors Thread

I found this out recently but the horizontal scaling is also busted in MM9 (not sure about 10) on Wii. It’s uneven integer pixel scaled.

I think even forcing it to run in 240p won’t fix that.

That is such a shame.

It’s a fun game, but just a bit too flickery and jaggy on a crt, in a way that other 3D content at 480i isn’t.

480i is 480i. It’s always going to be flickery. It’s just… you can tell that MM9 and 10 should be 240p because it’s on hardware capable of outputting it and it otherwise looks like the NES games in the series.

It should have been a no-brainer.

Are there at least filtering options on the Switch versions of those games?

Agreed.

As to the Switch, others will have to chime in.

I wonder which of the versions are the most lag-free. I’d assume Wii on a CRT is the fastest you can get for MM9&10. But it also came out on PS3, Xbox 360 (which I wouldn’t want due to the controller), and Switch. I’d love if someone compared each version so we can get the pros and cons.

To this day, I still haven’t played them due to the lack of a 240p option. It’s pretty crazy how they went through pain-staking lengths make such an authentic pair of sequels only to botch the last .001% of effort by not including a 240p option where possible.

Hopefully, they release it on PC someday so that we can finally see them in the right res.

Don’t forget to pick up MaBoShi if you haven’t - amazing game that I can’t quite describe!

I wouldn’t mind using Wii mode if it were easier to access - unless you hold down B at boot it forces you to have the sensor bar set-up and the TV switched on. The bizaarely poor battery retention of the GamePad means I often can’t hold down B on boot as it’s out of battery. I wonder if you can do it using a Wii Remote…

My Wii U also has this issue where it only successfully boots half the time, I’ve never been able to fix the problem. It’ll switch on but it does nothing, it won’t even begin to spin a disc inside it. A hard reset and reboot fixes it until the next power-off.

1 Like

My 640x480 LCD has zero frame lag from Wii over component, according to the 240p test suite.

1 Like

I had a hankering for some Pilotwings-style airborne challenges last night and dug out this little known gem.

Radio Helicopter (PAL)
aka MiniCopter: Adventure Flight (USA)
aka Puchi Copter Wii: Adventure Flight (JP)

Really nice little game. I play with tilt+dpad, but you can also use tilt+pointer with the Wii remote, or two types of dual analog control with a Classic Controller.

1 Like

Kinda reminds me of Toy Commander on Dreamcast?

1 Like

Visually, yes. I never got on with Toy Commander Racer but I’ll dig it out and try again and post my thoughts.

I just checked and I have Toy Racer, which I didn’t like at all. I’ve not played Toy Commander, so I’ll look at picking it up. Cheers!

The end of the Wii Shop is fast approaching. I used 1000 points of my 4400 on Castlevania The Adventure ReBirth last night since every day that goes by seems to indicate it will never be freed from its Wii Shop prison. I played through the first full level and some of the second and it really is a great game that seems relatively “easy” by Castlevania standards, at least so far. I’m really glad I purchased it!

I’m still sorting out the remaining points for purchases. Contra ReBirth is likely next. I was checking the Wii U eShop because I thought TG-16 would be the best option for remaining points, but they really brought most of the stuff I want to the Wii U store and since I’m running everything on a fridge I moved to the Wii U anyway, I’ll probably just buy those games there instead when it’s all said and done. Better to use these Wii points on things that will never leave this platform.

That might mean Gleylancer for Genesis among other imports… Still deciding. Anyway, just a PSA that the end is coming.

1 Like

There is no such thing as “never” when it comes to re-releases……

" M2 President Noki Horii said he was pleased to see Konami’s ReBirth series - developed by M2 - was on the poll, as these games were last released on WiiWare. As Wii Points can no longer be added, this makes these titles inaccessible to modern audiences. The team will now strongly consider this series for the latest systems after a rumour from earlier this year suggested they could be on the way to the Switch eShop. These releases include Gradius ReBirth, Castlevania The Adventure ReBirth and Contra ReBirth.

1 Like

No doubt they will be watching the sales of those three titles closely all the way through Jan. 31 and then announce they’re coming to Switch … in mid February.

That’s what I figure. Now that I bought one of them, it’s almost guaranteed they’ll bring them to the Switch.

However, this IS Konami we’re talking about. They hate video games, common sense, and money.

1 Like

Wii will remain the best version anyway even if it is ported - as long as you set your Wii to 4:3 and run it on a CRT.

It’s screwed up in terms of resolution if run in 16:9.

I want that Rebirth physical edition!

This is interesting, thanks. Is it the same with Gradius Rebirth? That’s always looked funny to me as well. Once again I regret downloading it to my Wii U instead of my Wii…

It probably is I’d have to check.

Yes it’s impossible to have correctly on a Wii U I think. Maybe that can be forced to 4:3?