Anyone for Tennis? 🎾

I actually played the original Game Boy Tennis until I could beat the highest level.

Man that original batch of Game Boy games (Golf, Tennis, Mario Land etc) were really solid little arcade classics.

1 Like

Got to play World Court Tennis, very nice. And also Final Match Tennis on TG16 - possibly my new favourite!

1 Like

Top Ranking Tennis on Gameboy and Virtua Tennis 2 on Dreamcast were my go to choices for Tennis Games.

1 Like

Virtua Tennis 2 on Dreamcast was just an amazing game and so too VT4 on XB360.

I’m guessing the demand has dwindled since Sega isn’t planning on making anymore tennis games

I still have World Court Tennis in my collection it’s one of the very first tennis games and having a multi tap being a necessity for the multiplayer so I have fond memories of it and also those simplistic chibi sprite are endearing.

Final Match Tennis is just so on point and tight gameplay, one of the best Tennis games.

Nerdy and in a sad way I was in that area during Wimbledon and decided to do a few shoots there during the summer of this year

4 Likes

Reading this made me think why the heck isn’t there a Tennis game on the Neogeo MVS/AES?

I guess there is that pocket title.

I think Sega would be too cheap today to acquire the licenses necessary for a modern take on the game. Do they even make sports games these days?

Mario Tennis on N64 is the game that got me into the tennis subgenre in video games, still a really good arcade version of the sport.

Everybody’s Tennis on PSP I remember enjoying quite a lot, though I only played through the single player story mode - it’s a bit like the Camelot portable games.

Did Virtua Tennis 4 sell significantly below expectation I wonder? If it weren’t for the success of Yakuza I wonder what ‘big’ games Sega would even have in the console space. I don’t remember Team Sonic Racing making much of an impact (with good reason).

Final Match Tennis is pretty tough…

Been having so much fun with it though, every point has to be earned, and there’s still so much to learn.

Had to look up the former, didn’t realise it was a rebranded Pro Tennis: World Court, which came with my PC Engine earlier this month!

Going to give it a go now…

Edit: Happy 30th anniversary to Final Match Tennis! Not sure if I’ll ever clear the game in my lifetime but I’m still coming back for more, it just plays so well. The high difficulty of world tour mode is completely justified.

2 Likes

Pardon the bump, but I recently got a cheap Top Rank Tennis (USA) cart and it’s really dang good!!! Like Tennis on Game Boy is good but this feels like a huge and solid upgrade. Glad to see it in the thread already.

I don’t see a ton of love for it online, especially for being published by Nintendo.