Nvidia is making a 65" 120hz 4K HDR local lit w/ G Sync

While this is a retro site, I think keeping up with display tech is a necessity. The fact that we are getting a PC monitor like this is about fucking time. The TV companies have been giving us sub par gaming displays since the switch to LCDs. This thing will probably have better compatibility with the likes of the ossc since it’s a PC monitor and they know people will likely have consoles too.

Even if it doesn’t work with the ossc the potential for having a large quick refresh display will likely be a win for emulation and all HDMI consoles connected to it.

I was about to redo my gaming room to have a desk and TV on the same wall. I’m done with that noise. I’m going to ditch my PC monitor really quick if this thing turns out to be what I’ve been waiting for. (I probably wouldn’t have bought the XB1X had I known this was on the horizon).

1 Like

This interests me greatly but my wallet is already crying.

1 Like

Consider me interested as well. I’m leaning more towards OLED for my next display, but if this looks good enough, I may go with it.

Whoa this is pretty sweet. Unfortunately I already made my last big TV purchase for the foreseeable future, but no regrets really as OLED is where it’s at.

That being said if I were in the market I would be heavily considering this and weighing it vs OLED.

Aren’t electro quantum dots the future?

Beats me. I promptly stopped researching TV tech after I bought my TV. Can’t have buyer’s remorse/regrets if I don’t know what I’m missing :smiley:

2 Likes

These are wise words, and it’s generally what I do as well. Hardcore research then just cut it off when I make my choice.

G-Sync AND a Shield built in? Holy hell. This will cost like $4000 at least, right?

That said, G-Sync is fucking incredible. And yes, it requires that curse word to emphasize just how amazing it is.

I have had a PC at my TV for over two years now and it’s a significant upgrade to your options if you do so. This is obviously a little different as they’re kind of selling it as a desktop upgrade, but it would be awesome to use it as a TV, too. Anyway, I’m interested, but down the road. :slight_smile:

Who’s actually using the “TV” features of a TV now adays? The gap between monitor and TV is practically non existent.

1 Like

Reminds me of how the Vizio P-65s were sold as monitors and people were pissed/annoyed it didn’t have a built-in tv tuner.

LOL really?

“hey I just bought a new hdr 4k tv but I can’t find where I hook my coax into?”

The average consumer doesn’t understand what has happened. They really don’t. When I tell people I have a PC connected to my TV they think that’s a really unique setup and it’s totally foreign to them. The understanding of how TVs have changed simply doesn’t exist in the minds of people purchasing televisions.

I’ll bet that’s why NVIDIA is showing a desk and chair with a big ass TV sitting on it in this video. It’s being sold as a monitor but those of us with a clue know it’s basically just a TV with some newish monitor tech thrown in and that there really is no difference.

For average Joe though, that thing looks like something totally new for PCs.

…as another example of how tech is misunderstood. I was talking about the Analogue Super Nt with someone on Saturday just briefly. They know the Retron but hadn’t heard about the Analogue machines (NES or SNES models) and I could tell it was kind of foreign to him. Those of us on this board are rather bleeding edge with our understanding of display tech and analog to digital conversion, etc. For most people, junk like the Retron is “good enough” to play their old games. That’s where the Analogue guys are going to struggle, because they have to help people understand that they’re giving you accurate simulation of the hardware rather than just a way to play games that may or may not work all the time and may or may not approximate the original look and timing of the game. They have to explain that “good enough” isn’t really good enough and that you can get much better for not much more $$$.

Hopefully they’re a big improvement over QLED (which is significantly worse than OLED in most areas) and don’t cost so damn much ($1K+ more than comparable LG OLEDs). Reading the article, they do seem to similarly and maybe even better, but they’re some years away. OLED may continue improving and coming down in cost while this new tech is being prepped for consumer markets.

I’m interested in this new TV if it offers nearest neighbor interpolation of sub-native content. In fact, it would be great if it had robust scaling controls and let us do integer scaling. If someone can get it right we can do away with external scalers.

I am assuming Oleds will be the new Plasma. Eventually, the EQD tech will be so good and has a chance of being cheaper (so do oleds) but the inherent flaw of burn in is just too much for me to handle for great blacks. I just don’t even want to deal with that foregone conclusion.

Except that with HDMI you are limited to 4K 60 HDR minus RGB color (YUV 420). A display port can handle 4K 60 HDR & RGB at the same time & it can do 4K 120hz SDR w/ RGB color. It will be a huge difference because of that bandwidth. I am going from memory here and I assume I can be wrong on some of the DP details. The new HDMI protocol will have high bandwidth but who knows exactly when that will actually show up to market.

Anyway, I think it will skew more towards monitor than tv where it counts. Super Low input lag (1-5ms tops) will be a must for this thing to hit the target they want (people like us) and the fact that they are putting smart features built in gives me pause. I feel like TV mfgs don’t trust people to just deal with game mode and thus adding post processing features to make the picture look good at the cost of input lag. The other benefit of being a monitor is that it will likely support oddball resolutions which should help with compatibility in theory for OSSC. But since its HDR, there are going to be some tv processing features built in too. So I really don’t know what to think.

So true, I think the price point of the Super NT is the step in the right direction. Ultimately, the appeal of a retron isn’t just old games over HDMI its multiple consoles in one box. The Super NT is for me but for average Joe, if the Polymega delivers the promise of all your old games on one machine, this would be the “filthy casual box.”

Ultimately, all I really want is a 35-50" PC monitor that can play my PC and Console games. 65" is way too big if you are gaming 2-3 feet from it but I think the 43" might a sweet spot where it can reasonably be a Monitor that you can type and do work on and also be the thing you can game on up close or 4-5 away too.

Having G-Sync built in is so clutch for me that I probably would really think long and hard if I really need to continue buying consoles in future generations. I wish these companies would do an OPEN SYNC platform that didn’t play favorites on graphics cards. Console gamers could have the benefit of HDMI 2.1 in the future if a TV mfg wants to add that in. I think what is more likely to happen is that more companies will make large monitors with freesync with low input lag.

There’s literally always new tech on the horizon. You should feel comfortable with the fact that you got an OLED TV in the current gen.

1 Like

Totally. Like I said earlier, no regrets :slight_smile:

This is something I could be interested in, by the second or third gen. I’m all for innovation in the display market.

One thing I know for sure is any set I buy from now on has to handle the OSSC (and whatever eventually supercedes the OSSC) well. So it needs to handle 960p, and display it windowboxed, for example. It needs the ability to scale everything on an integer basis where applicable. It needs to handle weird dot clocks and refresh rates like the SNES puts out through the OSSC, and so on.

I’m sure that something will beat OLED colors and black levels while retaining the critical per-pixel lighting at some point, but I’m not going to expect it within the next year or so. Color accuracy is a big deal, and current OLED is giving us the most accurate out-of-the-box colors that the industry has ever, ever seen.

So I’m more interested in hearing real-world results than press releases.

It’s really a shame how badly the Framemeister processes the image. I never got mine looking nice.

I really like the framemeister. Except for when you switch resolutions and input lag it is pretty impressive how clean and how compatible it is. Of course, I never got it looking good. It was FirebrandX that got it too look good and I benefited from his work.

I mainly play JRPGs w/ it. Since I got the OSSC working right I don’t use it nearly as much but for a while I was pretty happy when playing those type of games.

I’ll have to get an OSSC eventually because I’m tired of everyone talking about it’s awesomess and me not being part of the cool owner’s club :frowning:

I have this Framemeister though! (I say…as if that’s ever stopped me before…)