Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

Just want to have easy reference for this:

2 Likes

So the Dreamcast HDMI mod will use a board that provides line doubling of 480p to 960p… which it puts into a 1080p window! Awwww yisss, mothafuckin integer perfection.

1 Like

What’s the consensus on these insanely priced HDMI mCables? (https://www.marseilleinc.com/gaming-edition/)

I only heard about this today. Reminds me of the marketing of Monster Cables BITD. These seem to have some sort of scaling/smoothing tech baked in. Does anyone have any experience with them? Has DF or MLIG tested them?

I haven’t used one personally. There is a large thread on ResetEra about them though.

Avoid.

It seems like some big retro YT channel tried this out, maybe Metal Jesus or possibly one of the more tech-focused channels like MLIG (maybe the PS2 episode?). It seems like it was a decent AA implementation but predictably resulted in a heavily blurred image. Not well suited to sharp 2D or 3D images. Maybe for old movies/video it’d be okay, but in any case the price makes it a no-go in my view.

For me, the price isn’t the issue. It’s the fact that you’re adding image processing on top of other image processing.

It’s also doing the same formula no matter the source resolution and no matter whether it’s being scaled by the console. That means if you have a 720p game, it’s applying the same formula to the graphics regardless of whether the console is outputting 720p natively or upscaling it to 1080p first.

It’s also applying AA even if you’re superscaling an image down to 1080p from a higher res frame buffer.

It’s far too much of a blunt instrument to be taken seriously in my opinion. It would be another story if it came with user-controls like a proper device. But it’s a cable. It should instead be a processor that sits between cables.

It’s such a boneheaded design. I understand the “set it and forget it” mentality. But those with such a mentality probably aren’t the people to be bothered by a little aliasing in the first place.

You can’t even turn off the smoothing. So for me, it’s a no-go. I shoudn’t have to swap cable every time I want to implement a post processing effect.

1 Like

They work well of your setup is just so and you upscale from a low red to a high one. I use a 720p projector so they would do me no good at all

I’d rather there be a discrete HDMI device that can do nearest neighbor integer scaling with full aspect control. Then maybe also have post processing AA options with selectable ranges

New GCHD MkII

I’m guessing/hoping non-standard resolutions means this will do line doubling to 960p and it will frame it in 1080.

That would be AMAZING.

The Dreamcast mod aiming to that, and seeing as how all these makers have been exchanging things… fingers crossed.

960p would be a great option, and it’s a possibility with Citrus3000psi’s involvement in that DC HDMI project you mentioned.

Hopefully it can force 240p too. Amazing product if it works as advertised either way.

Agreed. Saw a video review that showed it worked well with 1080p Switch games that lack AA (Mario Kart). But a lot of other stuff (BOTW @ native 900p) has mixed results.

MLiG - RGB Gamecube HDMI Shootout

Personally, I was hoping the Mark2 would line double 480p and frame it for integer scaling. It does not, so I’m a bit disappointed. The DCHDMI does do this, so I’m crossing my fingers that a Mark3 in the future will.

I use a Wii for all my GC needs and this video just made me feel better about that choice. I had to watch on 1080p on YT to notice any difference in the Wii signal vs. the GC, and that’s while pixel-peeping on a capture. Definitely not anything I’d pay for while playing on my CRTs.

I wish MLiG would be like DF and include a less compressed version of their videos on Dropbox or something.

1 Like

All the captures are native 480p. 1080p is only to get less compression of what was captured. Meaning, irl, it’s easier to see. Even John from DF agrees that Wii ain’t up to par.

It’s fine if you wanna not pay more money for not an enormously better image, but there is a discernible difference that doesn’t really require the meticulous pixel scrutiny that some like to play it as.

Yeah, I’m know it’s there, I just don’t think it’s a $100 difference. I know there are many who would find the difference as unacceptable as I find Genesis composite, but if I can’t tell it without going side-by-side on a blown-up capture, I’m fine.

I’m also an S-video pleb when it comes to N64 and SNES, so that may tell you something about my moral makeup! I actually emulate much more than use original hardware these days though.

I’m also cool with Wii. It’s better than Wii U but not quite as good as GC. However, it does so much more as a one box solution - especially when you factor in RetroArch.

1 Like