Wii Virtual Console Shutdown Countdown and Recommendation Thread

Are you me? Agree on that Pikmin sequence. What a charming way of handling it.

1 Like

I think anyone with even a shred of a heart inside them was just a tiny bit emotional watching those Pikmin do their work. I remember talking with friends locally about it and we were all loving it.

Nintendo, especially in the Iwata era, just had so much charm.

RIP Wii Shop Channel purchases. I think they went offline three hours ago.

I logged in yesterday evening for one last browse - I’m so glad I did. That music is wonderful, and the Wii remote is a great tool for navigating things, with its pointer, D-Pad and pinch-like A and B config. Shame the store’s increased content outgrew its initial simplicity though.

Anyway, I hadn’t realised I had 900 points left over from when I went on a Wii points and game buying spree last January. So I picked up Rock ‘n Roll Climber (- YouTube) which is from Giles Goddard and his studio Vitei in partnership with Nintendo. It’s always intrigued me. I’m surprised to read it’s a Unity engine game too!

So long, WiiWare library. I still wish Nintendo would have repackaged the games as eShop downloads like they did the DSiWare library on 3DS.

2 Likes

Wii had some good times. :clap:

1 Like

Mobile. That’s the reason that the daily challenge server is still running! New challenges every day. It’s says Nintendo WFC but it’s actually hosted on RedLynx servers.

I’m a handful of levels away from finishing it. I’m not going for all coins and spirits though! Don’t have time for that.

Really interesting Factoid that. I wish I picked it up, but I don’t regret spending my last points on Rock 'n Roll Climber…erm, which I still need to get round to playing! I should make that my retro goal next month or something - I still use the Wii Balance Board so I think I just need to dig out a motion plus remote…