Youtuber Metal Jesus Rocks on collecting games in 2019.

Im with you brother!

Ballerz!

And don’t forget the cartridges are much more pleasent looking than the US bricks. They also are uncensored in many cases and have far better artwork

If I had to guess, I think it’s because the PS3 controller inputs were different from a Vita’s (due to no touch input specifically).

I still have a PSTV new in box. Not sure if I have an incentive to open it honestly.

You can use a Dualshock 4 controller on your PSTV for touch input:

You can use DUALSHOCK™3 wireless controllers and DUALSHOCK™4 wireless controllers with your system. Up to 4* controllers can be connected at the same time.

https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/pstv/basic/usecontroller.html

That requires me taking the PSTV out of the box though. What is the best stuff to play on it and hows the scaling?

To be honest, I never really wanted to look at a N.A. SNES under the entertainment center. It would just make me angry we didn’t get the Japanese design. Not sure who Nintendo hired to make that bonehead decision. I do wish you could play N.A. style carts on the Super Famicom, only for reproductions. I can’t find many repros in a quality SFC cartridge. If anyone knows of some, please share a link.

It’s not very good sadly. I hacked mine and gave it a massive SD card to put all my PSP and Vita games on but then it dawned on me: all the PSP games would look significantly better on a PC emulator (unless something has changed the scaling/filtering is not good at all) and there’s very few Vita exclusives left. You also see kind of see why Sony implemented a whitelist as some games are broken without touchscreen controls and it’s a real PITA at best (and straight up not viable at worst) relying on the DS4 touchpad to emulate touch. I thought it was a huge waste of time and money, your mileage may vary!

As for games to play on it, Persona 4 Golden and Killzone: Mercenary are the two best exclusives left but you don’t need to hack your PSTV to play them.

I honestly haven’t used mine enough to tell you so I’ll have to defer to Windrunner.

I like transfering saves between Vita and PSTV to allow for on-TV play of Vita games. It’s true there’s not a ton of great Vita exclusives but it’s nice to play stuff on handheld with the option to do TV play, so I sometimes go for Vita versions even when they aren’t the best.

Vita means OG Switch! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, the Vita TV is somewhat of a mixed bag. The best way to play Vita games is on the handheld, but as some have mentioned it’s nice to have the option for TV play when it works well. Which is admittedly rarely due to Sony’s region specific(!) lists of compatible games, and the problem where Vita exclusives tend to have used the touchscreen or rear touchpad to compensate for the lack of L2 and R2 buttons. What’s also frustrating is the lack of work done to redesign the front-end for the big screen and controller.

As for game recommendations, I’d like to vouch for Lumines: Electronic Symphony, Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen, Oreshika 2, Taiko no Tatsujin: V Version and Trillion: God of Destruction. TxK got a port under a new name for Atari but it’s there if you want it. The best non-exclusive titles are the ones which carried on the torch from PSP. Even if they received PS3 or PS4 versions you could tell they primarily existed because of handheld, so stuff like Everybody’s Golf, Utawarerumono, Falcom’s stuff, Akiba’s Trip 2, AM2’s Project Diva games.

i wish this was true - even stuff that got big print runs (JP sega ages, for one) went up a bit. US stuff by & large skyrocketed.

there’s still quality to be found for cheap, but it’s a diminishing pool

ps wish idve grabbed a PS TV when they were cheap!

1 Like

Maybe I’m just lucky but I started buying saturn Games like 2 years ago, and got about 40 games, mostly common Sega stuff, but pretty good stuff nonetheless and never payed more than $15 on each. Of course, my mindset of not into full sets or anything, but good stuff from the genres that I like.

I guess that expensive stuff will always be expensive, but the video says “starting collecting in 2019”, and for that my point still stands (im not drunk though).

1 Like

I think you’ve had a lot of luck. I’m looking at the 75 games I own in Game Value Now and the average of all of them is $35 and most are above $15. The cheap stuff are the sports games and stuff like Solar Eclipse, Shanghai, Criticom, etc

Japanese versions of some games are cheaper, but if you want to play Guardian Heroes, the Panzer games (not Saga), Daytona, fighting games that aren’t Virtua Fighter 2, etc. It gets pricey really quick for US games.

I’ve also noticed that Saturn games are probably the leanest in selection when I get to stores that sell them used. It’s so hard to find certain titles. Sega CD is pretty lean too usually.

2 Likes

I have to correct myself. The most I paid for a Saturn game was $28 for a loose copy of Street Fighter Collection (US version).

EDIT: I made a list with my Saturn games on gamevaluenow, and holy shit, $255 for a copy of Bloody Virtua Fighter Remix? $180 for Shining Wisdom? Thank god for Tec Toy LOL.

The Virtua Fighter Remix price is for the rare longbox retail version that I believe was Canada-only.

Brazil also had one. I have the 2 variants, the pink disk and the blue “not for resale” disk.

1 Like

I had forgotten that long box existed so when you said how much it was I was all confused! Remix was certainly a really cool thing Sega did for us early adopters. Made me very happy at the time.

I’d love to start collecting AES, but too rich for my blood. I’ve always wanted a unit as a wee lad, but obviously too rich for me or my parents. SNES/Genny was more than enough so I was not complaining.

1 Like