Golden Tee is really addictive. I started playing a few years ago because it’s the only video game my dad really plays and I wanted to share it with him. At that time the only way to play at home without paying an obscene amount to Incredible Technologies was to play the 2006 and prior editions of the game in MAME which are still excellent games but missing a lot of the features that you get used to playing modern versions at a bar. Thanks to the Teknoparrot guys the LIVE series of Golden Tee from 2006-2013 is now playable via emulation, and they are still adding more game years every so often. Sadly the games are locked behind the subscription tier of the project but compared to paying to play at the bar each time or buying a modern home edition it’s hard complain really. It needs an Nvidia card which my other emulation PC didn’t have, but not a really powerful one, so I dug out an old Alienware laptop I had collecting dust and set it up with a front end. My dad and I play this nearly every night out in our garage once it gets warm enough.
A buddy of mine bought a current cab prior to the pandemic. I’ve played it a bunch.
Given how much you’re playing, it sounds like it would be a decent investment!
I picked up HAL’s Hole in One Golf recently. Complete!
You might say, “Why would you do this, Dave?” and it’s because it was programmed by Satoru Iwata, and I miss the guy. I realized there are games of his I haven’t played, and this is one of them.
It’s a decent game of golf, but with a swing meter that’s not ideal. It seems like any short shots are very difficult to get button presses on the swing meter right because it moves so quickly. It’s absolutely a step down from Mario Golf on Game Boy Color, which is brilliantly executed (and I’ve been playing that a LOT lately). On the other hand, HHIOG is a beautifully presented game of golf on SNES with some quality graphic effects. Music is repetitive, but this is video games in 1991 and early on SNES. It can be given a pass.
Glad I picked it up, and I’ll spend some more time with it. Definitely not a classic like Balloon Fight, but they can’t all be that, can they?
It looks like Golden Tee is the next Digital Eclipse game/collection.
“Golden Tee Arcade Classics will feature eight of the developer’s golf titles, including Golden Tee 3D Golf, Golden Tee ’97, Golden Tee ’98, Golden Tee ’99, Golden Tee 2K and Golden Tee Classic . It will also include non-golf games Shuffleshot and World Class Bowling .”
Huh!! I’m always up for a simple, fun golf game. Wonder how well they will be able to translate the trackball to sticks.
This looks cool
I have ported Papillon Country Club (Virtual Boy) course data to Sega Mega Drive “New 3D Golf Simulation”
I wrote up my joruney porting these courses.
I watched a video that showed this game, from one of those little plug-n-play composite systems.. Looks kind of awesome!
This is fascinating! I wonder if the data extends to the 32/64 bit games they released? I always found it odd that on N64, the west got Waialae Country Club a mere 6 months after they released (Augusta) Masters '98 in Japan. Why did they bother to make an entire new course when they could have just released Augusta? Or had both in one game for the west (probably didn’t want to pay for a bigger cart?) If they could port course data from their older games easily, I guess it would be pretty fast to make, which might partly explain it.
I do want to look at the other games, but it’s a time consuming process. That’s why I only focused on unique courses.
I did have a quick peek at the remaining unique courses on Saturn, but in the time I had I couldn’t find similar data. Saturn Waialae has English (hidden) and 2 unique extra courses, but never got a release over here.
So many unanswered questions!
Does Snap Shot Golf have a release date?
![]()
This month, after the World Cup. It’s done though if you want to try it on TestFlight


