Arcade Game/PCB Collecting: A Thread for Gamers With More Money Than Sense

Exciting stuff. Love the paint job. Looking crisp.

Started putting my cut-down Naomi back together. I’m not happy with the the condition of the grey bezel, and I’m finished with trying to paint/sand it, so I think I’ll try a custom vinyl wrap of some sort.

What white paint did you use for the outer bezel?

Hey, sorry for the delayed reply. I used the following:

White Plastic/Fibreglass parts: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/painter-s-touch-2x-satin-0482466p.html#srp

(Clear-coated with Painter’s Touch clear semi-gloss after a few coats of white.)

White Metal Frame: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/armor-coat-enamel-gloss-white-spray-paint-340-g-0480315p.html#srp

Krylon spray paint was used for the grey bezel, and while the colour matched up almost perfectly to the original, I think the paint was either old or just reacted unfavourably with the base material. It blistered and bubbled up a bit, and generally left an unsatisfactory texture. No amount of wet/dry sanding, and repainting could fully remedy this. I am just going to cover it with a vinyl wrap this week.

OK ladies and gentlemen, I found a few Neo Geo arcade machines this weekend and I was wondering. Whats a fair price for a neo geo arcade in good working condition that has a few games. The games are fairly basic. Metal Slug, Puzzle Bobble, Fatal Fury and Aero fighters 2.

A few questions for context:

-Where are you located (approximately?)
-I’m assuming this includes the cab, wiring, PSU, CRT and MVS?
-Is it a 4-slot or a 1-slot with multiple carts?
-What’s the condition of the cab and monitor like? Also, are they original or converted from another game.

I’ve seen them listed in Ontario, Canada anywhere from $400-1000 (CAN), depending on condition and included games, but I wouldn’t pay any more than $800, personally. I think $600 is the sweet spot.

People selling cabs tend to over estimate their value. They also tend to forget what a commitment owning one is, and consequently don’t recognize just how niche their buyer-audience is. Use this to your advantage as a buyer.

As a rule of thumb for a non-candy cab, the price is typically the sum of it’s parts, plus maybe $100-150 extra for the cab itself, if in decent-to-great shape. ‘Big Reds’ are pretty common, and so there isn’t much of a premium for them.

Greater Los Angeles Area in Southern California

All working and complete with everything

I am looking at 2. Both are in a 4 slot cab but 1 is a 4 slot and the other is converted to a 1 slot because the guy wanted the best one or something. He said he put in a better board but is only selling it to buy a HTC Vive.

Cabs look clean, not a lot of ware. The 1 slot guy upgraded the buttons and stick to newer components.

The two cabs are both going for $500. They have almost the same games. One guy has Metal Slug 2 and the other X but just about everything else is the same.

Honestly, I don’t know if I want to make the room but I also don’t want to screw up my equipment with poorly converted arcade to rgb. I would love to get one of those mini SNK machines that are much smaller. My buddy has one and its not so damn big you can’t fit it in your garage. I know this machine would never go in the house, ever.

You’re in SoCal, land of the arcade cabs. If you’re concerned about space, I would wait it out to try to find a smaller cab, like maybe a Super neo if you’re into SNK stuff.

I just wouldn’t get anything that big if you have any doubts about it at all.

I do like big reds though, lots of nostalgia there.

2 Likes

My original idea was to make a table top cab with my sony pvm14M4U. But i have to admit I like the idea of having a big machine.

If I had the room, I’d grab a big red for $500. It definitely seems like a fair price. A consolized MVS alone can run you close to that.

Put down painter’s tape in your floor space and see how it would look. I definitely think a full machine is better than a bartop one.

Big Reds are amazing. I’m still upset I never got a shot at the one my buddy owned. He sold it without letting me know! WTF?!

I think it’s the best option short of a Candy, which is very hard to come by here in the east.

I agree with @cornerstone – you’re in SoCal, and from everything I’ve read and heard (anecdotally, granted) arcade machines, especially candy cabs, seem to be both plentiful and affordable there.

Where I’m at, there are tons of Neo Geo Big Reds and Capcom Big Blues, but I don’t have much love for those big, wooden cabs as a rule. (Just personal preference.)

That said, the most important factors are the condition of the monitor and cab itself (especially original parts that aren’t easily/inexpensively replaceable.) Stuff like sticks and buttons, and even the MVS-board are less of a concern, IMO.

Four-slot machines are more prone to failure, but I would still go with one, just out of convenience and the novelty of being able to switch between a few games, or working towards your “ultimately” cart configuration.

$500 for a four-slot (with carts, too) sounds fair IMO.

Does anyone know where to get a decent quality jamma harness? Most on eBay don’t have the proper gauge for the powered wires, they just look like it because they double up the insulation.

Is jamma harness the same as kick harness? Or is it something else?

Also, i have a question. I want to buy a cable that goes between the jamma-ports on my supergun to the mv1fz, anything i need to look out for? can i just buy something cheap from china, or do i need to watch out here?

Separate (if used unqualified)

The Jamma harness is the standard one used since around 1985 for almost all arcade games.

A kick hardness usually refers to an extra set of cables for Capcom CPS2/3 which is added in addition to Jamma to run three extra buttons.

The arcade scene here in Japan fucking rocks! I was just at A-cho in Kyoto and they were having a VF3tb tourney! I played a bunch of 3s, Puyo and MoTW while I was there. They had a ton of 4 slots @Peltz

Looks like a really cool scene. I’m going to need to travel there myself sometime soon. Not just for the video games of course, but it certainly is an aspect of the appeal.

Glad you’re having such a ball and keeping us updated while out there. Looks like such an awesome trip!

Before YouTube, I used to download videos from A-Cho, usually of SF Alpha 3 to see how top level players played the game.

They were the first arcade to collect and distribute competitive footage online, even if it was pretty bad quality compared to today. I’m glad they’re still around and still having tournaments.

That’s awesome to hear! It was a cool spot and everyone was laughing and having a great time. I’d highly recommend anyone visiting Kyoto to stop by!

Really tempted to pick up a SEGA Naomi. Any one experienced with setting one up and the whole JVS I/O business?