Chinese OSSC clones

A bit of background might be helpful.

Up until 2016, the only good option for getting good looking retro games from real hardware on a modern TV was to buy a $300+ framemeister. A lot of us actually did this (myself included) but it was a hard pill to swallow for many.

For quite a while marqs had been working on making his own FPGA scan converter, which eventually became the OSSC, an alternative that while still pricey was more reasonable and eventually became more fully featured than the framemeister. Itā€™s a bit of an underdog story, and a lot of us wish him and VGP success for going through the work to make it a reality.

Of course there was always going to be spinoffs and clones ā€“ itā€™s an open source product so thatā€™s fine. But itā€™s the specifics here that are rubbing people the wrong way.

Personally I feel that even if it wasnā€™t open source it would have eventually been cloned and likely would have been passed off as legit anyway. But Iā€™m not looking forward to Joe Blow that buys OSSC China Ver. off ebay and claims that all OSSCs are faulty and donā€™t work with ps2s or something.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure he is already in the know. Perhaps heā€™s preparing something already.

Itā€™s nothing to get outraged over. VGP should probably protect their trademark though.

And buyers should simply be aware of what theyā€™re buying.

2 Likes

Of course it is. Anything you want to have a Chinese factory make will be ripped off. Thatā€™s the nature of the Chinese mind set. Steal, rip it off, make money. I even enquired about getting BluRay discs made of some of my shows from a Chinese factory because they were cheap. They came straight out and said ā€œwe will keep Master copies of your product for future referenceā€. Eh? More like future knock off prints. Mind you they didnā€™t know what my BluRay was even about.
Just look at the clones I review. Many are rip offs of rip offs.
To be honest Iā€™m surprised itā€™s taken this long.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll rather buy ā€œchinese knock-offā€ OSSC, cuz EUR162.00 - get out of here.

Thing is, the chinese versions are about the same price (Around Ā£140 from what Iā€™ve seen on eBay shipped from China or HK). So yeah, if youā€™re spending the same amount or saving on an insignificant value like Ā£10 then why bother getting the knock-off?

1 Like

Itā€™s also worth keeping an eye out for VGPā€™s refurbished stock as theyā€™re a bit cheaper and have a 6 months warranty.

I think the OSSC is very much worth the price for all that it does though and happy it came out just as I was about to get a Framemeister which is significantly more costly.

1 Like

It is certainly worth the price. I - too - was about to get the framemeister but the OSSC was not only much cheaper but impressed me more.

2 Likes

At least on Aliexpress, they are constantly on sale, and not in small batches like on the well-known site.

dunno if this has been posted yet

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Itā€™s all in the Twitter thread linked.

1 Like

Seems like he had high praise for the ā€œknock offsā€.

2 Likes

Aww no way! That dude got a pretty cool yellow transparent top-plate. Where can I get one of those??? My one is only matte black.

Theyā€™re all over Aliexpress and come in other colours too.

Did you see the wood panels someone made for the OSSC?

I looked into a place that could produce them in the UK as shipping from the US is too much but it cost way more to make them here.

1 Like

omg! That wood panel is absolutely stunning!

1 Like

Those covers really do add something. Are those sold separate from the main unit or do you have to buy it all together?

Iā€™m also kinda wondering when if ever is someone going to come up with a full case mod? I donā€™t like the idea that the pcb is itself staying exposed to the elements and expecting to last 5 years without some random dust particle shorting it out.

Itā€™s pretty much the standard for these enthusiast made devices. Normal cases on electronics donā€™t do much for the dust other then keeping it ā€œout of sight out of mindā€ and are mostly for that and the presentation side of selling a product.

Someday Iā€™ll find a perfect filter system for keeping all my stuff dust freeā€¦somedayā€¦

Is that really the reason? Or itā€™s just cheapo?

I know Iā€™d prefer closed boxes. Stuff like the Beharbros Dreamcast things donā€™t get hot or anything and could have a fully enclosed box no issues.

@SupaNintendoChalmers Classic game store has started to sell plates https://www.retrorgb.com/ossc-color-replacement-cases.html

$20 (Not sure about shipping cost but they at least ship worldwide)

Edit: Shipping costs the same as the plates : /

1 Like