PSone Classic - Smaller = Better

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/18/introducing-playstation-classic-with-20-pre-loaded-games/

" Almost 25 years ago, the original PlayStation was introduced to the world. Developed by Sony Computer Entertainment, it was the first home console in video game history to ship 100 million units worldwide, offering consumers a chance to play games with real-time 3D rendered graphics in their homes for the first time.

Today, we are excited to announce that we are bringing back the original PlayStation experience in a new miniaturized version – PlayStation Classic! The console will come pre-loaded with 20 classic titles, including fan-favorites such as Final Fantasy VII , Jumping Flash , Ridge Racer Type 4 , Tekken 3 , and Wild Arms …"

Pressing open changes virtual disc
USB PS1 controller replicas
Doesn’t come with a power supply

2 Likes

You know that RGB is going well when news like this is already here when you come to post it.

Keep up the good work :+1:

1 Like

Hmm I’ll probably pick one up but not expecting perfect emulation. I’m interested to see how it handles video output and things like lag.

I can’t tell if those controller ports are USB or something more bespoke? Also, is this thing a repackaged Vita TV?

Really didn’t expect Sony to get into producing a mini classic console but I do like the look of this.

I don’t necessarily think it would have to be via software emulation since Sony have plenty of experience of hardware based PS1 backwards compatibility via the PS2, though I expect it to end up being based around their existing POPS software.

Awesome and very surprising! No dual analog is a bit of a surprise

This is also what I would expect, and hope for, since it is/can run really well.

I am also surprised at the lack of the analog sticks. May indicate the games that will be included.

No Analog sticks but it comes with a power AND reset button!

POPS is great, I wouldnt be surprised if this is repurposed or retooled PS TV hardware

2 Likes

I’m surprised that they managed to secure tekken 3. But no M rated games or dual shock support make this irrelevant for me.

I think I know where they got this idea… :thinking:

Hope it does emulation well for those that want it.

Yeah, that they (Sony) are the ones making it and it isn’t licensed out like all the shitty emulation box consoles (basically all of them aside from Nintendo’s) along with the fact that they have done a lot of work on ps1 emulation already for various other systems makes me believe it will be worth the purchase. I hope it gets cracked fast. I also hope they sell dual shocks separately for it to make cracking it worth it.

The thought of this being cracked made me giddy and then I realised you may as well just use a pstv in the first place.

A cracked pstv has:
Most likely the same ps1 emulation
Ds3/4 support up to 4 players
Usb drive support
WiFi/Bluetooth
Psp/psv games on top of that

I know I’ll buy this because I’m a sucker and it’s cool but for those looking for a ps1 emulation box a perfect one already exists for dirt cheap!

1 Like

This.

Sony is about to sell a rebranded Vita TV with less functionality, and it will be the gift to get over the holidays.

Well played.

I wonder how Nintendo will respond to this? If they had some sort of retro N64 Classic coming out over the holidays, it would be great to see them duke it out in some sort of proxy-based console war.

I could see them shelving it now though, so as to not have to compete… sigh

Wonder how much smaller it is relative to the dinky PS One.

I’ll probably pick one up as it’s likely I won’t have played most of the games in 60hz on there - not to mention even the PS1 classics were poorly handled in Europe. 50hz games on the PSP and Vita just felt wrong given those systems’ native support for a 60hz refresh rate,

As for the Vita TV jokes - heh. It’s probably not true, though - the Vita TV was never capable of outputting more than 544p (which was then upscaled to your TV’s resolution), so unless Sony’s content with shipping a blurry interface it’ll probably have a new SoC. Though a lot of the things that made the Vita TV such a poor TV adaptation of the handheld were probably software-related.

I think you’re right about this being a PSTV in disguise.

N64 Classic was never happening.

1 Like

Everything you said is exactly what I think about it, especially the quoted part. Basicly the same reason I have the Nintendo Classic systems when I not only have the original systems with hardware to play them on old CRTs but also the means to do actual perfect emulation to my main TV as well.

This is something I am not sure I’ve seen brought up, but I’m happy they went with the original ps1 design for this system. I really like the PSOne design as well, but they knew what the appeal of this device was.

The pstv doesn’t output 544p it does 480p,720p and 1080i.

480p and 720p should provide proper scaling for ps1 content. Am I missing something ?

I was under the impression the PS TV/Vita TV renders in 544p - same resolution as the Vita display, which is then outputted at whatever you pick, which is then upscaled to your TV.

So for PS1 games you’d get the 240p PS image pixel doubled to 480p, in a 544p window, then outputted at either 480p, 720p or 1080i, with the resolution of the surrounding interface being native 544p (outputted at either 480, 720 or 1080)

Edit: Digital Foundry confirms this in their review:
“indeed, the HDTV options on the user interface are identical to the tools available to developers: 480p, 720p and 1080i are supported, but the core graphics remain at the standard Vita 960x544 resolution, upscaled in a fairly rough manner. Video content is presented at full 720p, however, while - in theory - the 1080i option should render 1080p streams with little loss of quality on most modern HDTVs.” Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-ps-vita-tv

2 Likes

Oh god this is the case. I went and researched this myself and it doesn’t look like there’s a Homebrew solution to adjust this either.

Adrenaline does allow you to set a custom x and y for ps1 games though. I wonder if that would allow for a properly scaled picture despite the double up res