Console Wars book, any RGBers read it?

Thanks for the tip, I think I was recommended this a while back but forgot!

I picked it up over the holidays and am 16% complete (per kindle lol). I pretty much agree with all your comments. It’s interesting if you’re interested in that era but it has its shortcomings.

1 Like

I really enjoyed this book, finished it over the summer. I also recommend Masters of Doom for those that were around in the early days of PC gaming.

1 Like

Yeah, I enjoyed reading Masters of Doom.

1 Like

I really liked it when they talked about how the original design of sonic was all disgusting, and the character was a real perv until SoA stepped in

Really good book.

I’ve already finished a couple of books about gaming history so had avoided this, hearing this is SEGA slanted it’s interesting so I might pick it up.

The author got crazy access on the SEGA side, so there’s a lot of detail there.

Finished the book last night and still hold the same opinion I previously gave. strong 2 out of 5. Kinda gutted that the book didn’t go into super details explaining how Sony demolished Sega. It just ends with the Saturn launching during E3…then 10 months later its a flop and SOA caves in. Shame :frowning: Wanted more tension in the Sega house and how Sony was capable of succeeding with their plan. The last few chapters of the book felt really rushed. Really enjoyed the Video gmae rating and ESRB parts which were quite eye-opening. Dialogue continued to be nothing more but added filler but at times it went into cartoonish territory with the whole hotel lobby room fight bit, Kalinske walking up the street in snow and the promo for Donkey Kong Country with Nintendo reps dressed up as explorers with cigars parodying Dr Livingstone and all that. haha, I was able to handle most of the outlandish stuff in the book but towards the end it did feel remarkably over the top. Lastly, the whole Yogi Bear bit during Sega’s E3 speech…I admire the author for using a Barbera reference but maaaan, it felt sooo out of place

Anyway, great light read and thoroughly captivating if you’re into video games but nothing more.

Just got my copy, excited to read through it.

1 Like

I’m 3 chapters into the audio book, and while I enjoy the details and information inside, the authors tendency to lean on invented dialog and exaggeration is annoying.

Is there still a movie in the works?

I’ve wondered the same. Kinda get the vibe it’s just gone into limbo.

Wasn’t Seth Rogan involved? I’d like to think they’re taking the time to iron out the screenplay and taking it seriously…but then again, I don’t know.