right then, so i wan to make the case that last gen was Sega’s finest since bowing out with the dreamcast (given that the lion’s share of their best efforts went to xbox, but then monkey ball/etc went to GC & Virtua fans saw love on the PS2, so that was kind’ve split), and i don’t think they get enough recognition for this. mind you, i’m talking stuff they developed & also those published with partners like Sumo.
last gen alone:
- Sonic All Star Racing/Transformed: Sumo made some of the best kart games since Diddy Kong Racing, and with a ton of classic Sega fanfare too. Superstar Tennis got this ball rolling but man, they really dug deep for the greats here!
- House of the Dead: Overkill: to me, this is inarguably the series’ peak. it’s just ridiculous and fun to play too.
- Valkyria Chronicles - okay, so i’ve only played part 1, but that shit was really good! also, you’ve got Vyse returning from Skies of Arcadia!!! woops, spoiler for that. but really? the game is like a dollar at this point and it’s nearly 10 years old y’all
- Sonic Generations - Sonic Mania wasn’t out yet, and this was the return to greatness. also? Colors dropped this gen and that was more innovative and also good
- Yakuza - 4 was one of my favorites of the series, and that was totally last gen. it’s more DNA from river city ransom/streets of rage than GTA and one of my favorite series to date. so much classic sega built into this series.
- Binary Domain - the ryu ga gotoku folks got let off the leash, and made a good game! but none of y’all bought it, so it’s over now. good job guise
- Virtua Fighter 5 - i guess this was good? look , i worship Yu Suzuki but i’m not gonna keep apologizing for not getting into this series, so hey, fuck you danny, you’re not my real dad
- Rez HD - oh my god this is the real reason we moved to HD right here, thou shalt have no gods before miz
- Ghost Squad - this was fun
they also published Vanquish, Bayonetta, Alpha Protocol, Persona 4, Alien Isolation and so much more quality. oh, and we got HD ports of Jet Grind Radioooo, Nights HD, Guardian Heroes and more saturn fighters
and After Burner Climax (the series’ peak!) and OutRun arcade but dumb licensing took them both away before any hint of physical copies so let’s not talk about them
that really sucks
well hey, M2 did some fantastic ports for the 3DS collection at least
i know samba de amigo, nights and alien syndrome saw wii efforts but i don’t recall any of them going too well? i should boot them up
this gen? Sonic Mania (the real sonic 4!), ToeJam & Earl 4, a remake of Wonder Boy 3 & a badass new one with Monster Boy, Shenmue III (okay the last few ones have not been sega’s work but they are known from that stable), upcoming Panzer ports and i’m sure i’m forgetting more stuff. sure we don’t have Bonanza Bros or ESWAT HD so they clearly havent been reading my letters but this is still quite the list!