Consumer CRT Thread

Yeah, not sure about hours used but sounds like he’s been using it in the past but everything still works fine. he was using it for video editing vhs tapes apparently.

Edit: Sounds like it might not have S-Video but waiting to hear back

Yup, just confirmed no S-Video, only the BNC connectors for composite. For $65 I think that’s fine for now. The JVC TM-A13SU referenced above that does have S-Video is going for over double the price of this one and I don’t really have anything that can use S-Video except PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era stuff.

Ah, that’s a shame. Composite on the TM-13U is supposed to be pretty good but personally I’d leave it.

It’s cheap enough and I’ve seen so little posted that I think I’ll get it for now and then I can always swap it if I find something much better. My only thing right now is an old HDTV so just having this for the time being while I continue to look I think will be an improvement.

In that case it sounds like a good idea

Agreed, and if you like that style and size, you can easily find a Commodore 1702 for around that price with a little patience.

Not worth that much for composite only.

Can I find one for $60? Most on ebay are $70-$100 for completed listings and that’s not including shipping which can be up to $50 depending on the auction. This one is only $60 and local where I can pick it up myself.

Likely yeah. They are quite common, so you likely don’t have to pay for shipping. Be patient and look for them locally in the local classified and retro groups.

I’ve managed to find three in the last year for no more than about $50.

3 Likes

Are there any specific places people look besides ebay and craigslist to find crts?

Offer up app, medical supply companies, local TV stations (@bodine1231 hauled a imperial shit-ton from them), government auctions, school/university auctions/surplus, electronic recyclers, Goodwill/Value Village type places (although I think I’ve read Goodwill doesn’t take CRTs anymore, but I saw some PC CRTs at my local one in the donation pile when I was dropping off some stuff a couple weeks ago). Facebook marketplace maybe?

How would you go about getting things from tv companies or medical supply companies?

Search online, find their contact info and call them (emails are easily dismissed).

Just realized this is the consumer CRT thread. TV stations and medical supply places will more likely have PVMs if they have anything. It depends on your location to some degree. I see decent consumer CRTs on Craigslist rather frequently but I’m in a metropolitan area.

Where are you located?

My primary source has been kijiji, which is essentially a local classified site, like craigslist.

What I did was search for local production companies and tv stations and email them. For the tv stations you want to contact an engineer or general manager. You’ll get quantity at tv stations but the good stuff is at the small production houses.

From my experience the tv stations buy the cheaper ikagami and lower end pvms and they are road hard. Lots of burn in and definitely cap changes required. I’ve probably picked up 200+ pvms and they all had one issue or another.

Production places are the best. They are taken care of and don’t run 24/7 like the tv stations. Of the 100 or so I only had problems with a couple and they were easy fixes. Lots of Bvm and 20l5 from them.

The one place I could never get stuff from we’re colleges. I’ve had people tell me there are tons still there but I could never get in touch with someone to negotiate a sale.

At this point it’s slim pikins though. A lot of the tv stations were close to throwing them out when I used to hunt and that was years ago now.

2 Likes

My monitor came today. Only issues so far seem to be a high pitch whine and the image is slightly off center. Is the whine normal or symptoms of an issue?

1 Like

Whine (transformer/power) can be normal, depends. Difficult to say without comparing.

Centering you can sometimes adjust using OSD or hardware controls. But before you do that, check multiple games and platforms to confirm where the issue lies.

Yeah only had my Saturn handy so hoping to have time next week to keep testing to see if it changes at all based on console or input type.

Bonus picture of Sonic 2 since it is the best sonic game:

2 Likes

Could anyone screen shot their best menu settings for the FV310?

Do you mean the standard menu or service menu?