Consumer CRT Thread

Service Manual confirms Component on Input 3.

Plus details of Service Menu adjustments for Component image.

https://elektrotanya.com/sharp_32u-f500_f810_sm.pdf/download.html

ps: love this old review

http://www.audioreview.com/product/televisions/standard-televisions/sharp/32u-f810.html

1 Like

Exactly, I bet even the best courier firms will throw it around during sorting, so it’s going to face a drop at some point. Might have to do some research…

I once bought a TV from an Army auction and they shipped it to me in a box twice it’s size with zero padding. So it was just rolling around in there. I’m suprised it worked, and that it wasn’t more damaged. Just a cracked bezel.

Oh god. I can’t even imagine a CRT shipped non freight. I feel bad for the delivery people.

1 Like

Oof!

I bought my first PVM off ebay, 13" model. It came packaged pretty well in a CRT computer monitor box with the styrofoam and all.

I think I posted on here somewhere before the interview Bob from RetroRGB did with someone who services PVM/BVMs (not Savon Pat) and he described how he packaged them for shipping: screen down on a old couch cushion on dense foam, ~2" foam all around, ship freight and pick it up at the warehouse instead of home delivery. I can dig it up if someone’s interested.

Shipping a consumer set seems like it would be more difficult due to the larger, odd volume compared to a PVM/BVM cube.

Interesting about the LCDs.

This is why I will probably keep and store my 46-in Panasonic plasma when I finally get a much larger new TV this year. I imagine there will be a day when really good (especially plasma) native 1080p screens might be coveted. Sounds a little crazy but who knew 15 years ago that we’d be willing to pay what we do for some of these consumer CRTs…

2 Likes

I never thought about it, but you’re probably right.

1 Like

Thanks for this, I’m going to ask any sellers how they plan to ship it before I bite on any.

There was an 2004-era 14" consumer Trinitron for sale, bit like my last one which I no longer own, still in the original box and extremely well looked after. But it doesn’t have S-Video, just one scart-style port at the back (and RF of course). I might have to get a PVM.

Yeah, with the move to 4K older content is presumably becoming less flattering on modern displays. My primary TV is still a 2006 768p Bravia with an IPS panel and beefy built-in audio. Still works really great so never saw a need to replace it! But compared to my PC monitor consoles like the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U look eons better on the old Bravia thanks to its lower resolution.

You can get an s-video to SCART converter. No idea of quality sorry.

And you’ll probably need a SCART switch box.

1 Like

I guess I could always just get SCART cables for the consoles that I’m using S-Video off as well.

I’m also drawn to a smaller PVM (like, 9") at the moment because the form factor is quite nice, but compared to a late generation consumer CRT it’s going to be hard to guess how many hours of use it’s had over its lifetime.

I had both of my PVM serviced by a local old school TV repair guy. He also repaired the PSU on my Philips LCD.

Personally the only thing I’d be concerned about is burn-in.

I run PS3, 360, Wii U into a 1440p monitor now and it all looks really good as long as the content is native 720p. Feel the same way about 4K, it’s an improvement over 1080p screens for 720p stuff.

That’s what I’m doing at the moment with any HDMI systems (including the CoreGrafx Mini), and it’s certainly fine but it’s so crisp on the HD Ready Bravia it makes you wonder if 1080p or beyond was even necessary!

Starts around 54:20 (can’t seem to figure out time linking on mobile right now)

Added time stamp, thanks @matt, although only seems to work when click to YouTube ( doesn’t seem to work on embedded viewing) Also, 4” padding I guess, not 2” like I posted above.

2 Likes

Add ?t=54m20s

There you go. Appreciate that insight.

My set has really nice built-in sound as well. It’s the full package. I am not a pack rat with hardly anything else but when it comes to displays … I just can’t see myself listing this thing for like 50 bucks on FB…

Finally got round to watching this, thanks for sharing! Good to know there’s less risk involved with smaller sets as well.

Not sure I’d be able to avoid having it shipped directly to me though - don’t have a means of picking one up directly from the local freight centre which is a bummer…

As you probably saw on the other thread, I ended up going for a PVM. But I have to thank everyone for the advice regarding shipping these safely.

Maybe the seller was already conscientious but I’m pleased to report it arrived fully intact with no visible damage or (based on operation so far) internal issues. It was double boxed and surrounded by a couple of inches of foam which seemed to be good enough, at least with this courier. It was also secured between both boxes with a plastic belt-like strap thing (not sure what they are called) and fragile stickers slapped over the exterior.

1 Like