I think this is mandatory viewing: Video on retro game pricing distortion and the key players involved

Yeah, it’s great to see games get physical runs where it wouldn’t have happened, but the aftermarket prices for them seem very different in circumstance - almost like a self fulfilling prophecy in a way.

It’s just less interesting, I suppose.

It’s not like a game like Devil’s Third on Wii U which is expensive because publisher Nintendo had little faith in it and printed about 1000 copies in North America. No one could have predicted that outcome ahead of release but it’s how things went with the game.

Or a title like Pokemon Heart Gold going pricy might tell us a lot of kids who grew up with the game probably binned it or their parents did. I was surprised to see copies of that game with the included PokeWalker peripheral go for quite a lot despite its big initial print run. And the supply on eBay and the likes isn’t high.

They don’t have to have binned them. They could be:

• Abused with ripped labels or even outright broken. Kids wreck stuff.
  • Lost
  • Buried in storage
  • Have been kept, because some people just don’t sell things. (reddit is full people people posting showing off their childhood games they recovered from an attic etc)
  • Were handed down to younger family members who still have them and/or add another opportunity for any of the above points

So now you have a relatively large population of carts, but few available on the aftermarket. And a relatively large number of millennials hitting a wall in life and wanting to relive their childhood favourites.

I think lots of games will continue to appreciate in value forever, well above inflation. How many people who buy an expensive game (let’s say, Cotton Boomerang) will ever plan on selling it? A few may do sell offs, maybe to raise funds, or maybe to but other games instead, but I think most people plan to buy for keeps. So the copies in circulation drop year after year, affecting the supply part of supply/demand permanently.

1 Like

They sometimes don’t have the same versions available. I was after the Turrican pack they did and he ones on LRG had a larger selection of games on it than the ones available elsewhere.
__

In a way the old games market is a finite resources, which is bound to drive prices up. People who aren’t interested in them throw them away, they do get destroyed, wear and tear etc. However, I wouldn’t think normal market forces would make a game cost millions of dollerydoos in normal circumstances.
As peoples interest in/decreases, the prices will fluctuate and collectors will keep stuff, thereby removing it, but even then, millions for common games is a bit ridiculous.

TL;DR - Video game collecting, especially for good copies that are sealed or CIB, is getting expensive. This happens to anything remotely collectible and games are no exception. The upside here is that games are digital, and tens of thousands have been preserved so that they can be enjoyed in high fidelity without the need to buy the original cart or even hardware.

Physical game collecting is becoming just like any other pop culture collectible. If you demand original, high quality copies, they are going to be expensive. This happened with comic art over the least few years, (thanks to Heritage Auctions), so that I will never be able to afford originals of some of my favorite artists. Yes, it is sleazy, but the art world is built on this (I mean just look at modern art prices and tell me with a straight face the prices are reasonable). The upside here is the increased awareness means more high quality scans and discussion so that the art can still be enjoyed, so it’s all good really.

Luckily, games have a huge advantage over art and books in that the games themselves are digital. A dedicated community of volunteers have been working for years to preserve games in the form of digital copies, including scans of box art and ‘feelies’. Tens of thousands of games (including virtually all of the most expensive titles) have been preserved in the form of ROMs and ISOs. From here games can be replicated virtually endlessly and in perfect fidelity. Thanks to things like emulation, ports, flash carts, clone consoles, and ODE drives, retro games are honestly more accessible than ever. Even game manuals and packaging is often digitally scanned in high quality. If someone wanted, Super Mario Brothers could be recreated pretty much perfectly, box and all, without too much effort.

Of course collecting is fun and can be rewarding, but whether it is an original Action Comics #1, a first edition of Lord of the Rings, or a sealed copy of Super Mario Brothers, these things are just physical media carrying a story, images, or game. If you want to look at Action Comics #1, it is available as a reprint or digitally. LotR can be checked out of the library or found in used book stores for under $10. Super Mario Brothers can be played on Wii, Wii U, handhelds, Switch, your browser, on a flash cart, through emulators on a dozen devices, and probably 5 other ways I am forgetting.

The thing is, if someone wants the physical item of SMB64 sealed, a first edition of Lord of the Rings, or Action Comics #1, that’s completely fine and their buying price can be whatever they are willing to spend. I don’t have any issue with this because the game/art/story itself, along with scans of it’s original packaging are available much more affordably or even ‘freely’. Nothing of note is really being taken away from anyone aside from being able to claim ownership of that one cart, box, and manual which is identical to many others.

My only issue here is if the game in question is not already available otherwise. Say an unemulated title, rare prototype or unreleased version of a game. This is also something that is often seen in the art world, a private collector buys something and hides it away from the rest of the world. Luckily this doesn’t happen often with games and the community is very passionate about open source projects and accessibility.

There are still many games out there I’m sure that only exist as cartridges/disks/tapes, but at least we have so many folks dedicated to freeing these games from the constraints of their original media.

So coming from this perspective, I just don’t think this WATA stuff matters much to the average enthusiast, any more than an Action Comics #1 matters to even a die-hard comic book fan.

Great summary of all the different possibilities for these games, cheers!

fantastic video. i know it’s been said, but growing up watching the comic book industry implode from some of these very same speculators makes this sting that much more

I will certainly watch this video.

I saw a quick thing about Magic: the Gathering card collectors, and how coin and baseball card collectors were getting into the market.

Mostly around 1st edition rarieties like the Black Lotus ($5000-$15,000 ea.)
The featured guy really just wanted to play with it though.