OSSC now readily available (without the waiting list)

Wow just updated to the newest firmware and I’m very impressed with the new scanline options. The hybrid option really brightens up the image,still playing with the right balance between scanline strength and hybrid percentage,leaning toward 68%/100%.

Also,I dont know what they did but the scanlines at 4X look perfect now and not too skinny! Its on par with the 2X scanlines! Im finding 3x and 5x still too thin though.

Damn, new firmware? I need to try it out.

Damn! Need to test this out. Link to said firmware?

Edit: Found them here: https://www.niksula.hut.fi/~mhiienka/ossc/fw/

yup I upgraded the firmware a few weeks ago and liked the additions.

These are just the screen grabs from my capture device and I find you have to reduce the scan line strength when capturing to card otherwise it looks uneven. I think these were taken with the scan lines lightened.

1 Like

Just ordered my OSSC today with the remote, overlay, PSU, everything! Pretty excited and can’t wait to post screens.

2 Likes

Retrotink-unit

Introducting RetroTINK 2X

OSSC has been on the market for a while now and continues to go from strength to strength with new firmware features being introduced all the time. One feature that can’t be added in firmware updates however is support for new signal types. Analogue video was typically transmitted using composite video, S-Video or RGB. Until now there’s been no affordable, readily available way to add S-Video or composite video support to the OSSC. Now, however, a new, affordable solution is about to hit the market, say hello to the RetroTINK 2X.
RetroTINK 2X - It’s a transcoder

The dinky little RetroTINK measures just 7.5cm by 5cm by 3cm. In that small package, it manages to offer composite video, S-video and component video inputs, as well as stereo audio inputs. These signals can be input and transcoded directly to HDMI.

Connecting the RetroTINK to the OSSC requires a simple HDMI to VGA adapter and we will be selling a kit to do this in our store. We have tested the adapter we will be selling extensively and can confirm it doesn’t add any input lag, nor does it crush blacks or over saturate whites as far as we can tell.

RetroTINK 2X - It’s a line doubler!

Turn the RetroTINK 2X into line double mode and you can enjoy lag free line doubling of your component, composite or s-video sources! While lacking the advanced features of the OSSC, the RetroTINK 2X still does an admirable job, providing a super affordable way to add 240p compatibility to a wide range of televisions.

Yeah, I don’t have an OSSC but I ordered one. It’ll get my Sega CDX onto the big screen in the living room. :slight_smile:

There was some discussion here… Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

Worth noting the price. Looks like it will be $99.

I updated to the latest firmware last night

I don’t know if anyone has tried the FBX profiles yet but I am trying to wrap my head around doing it now.

Here are some links that might help you.

http://pbnl.byethost7.com/ossc/profiles/?i=1

Looks like we are going to need to edit some of these files. I thought notepad was good enough but I have experienced a few things that prefer notepad++ (the PSIO in particular).

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

What was added in the latest firmware? Like how I got my shit set up right now and don’t know if I want to go fiddle with everything again.

The biggest thing was the added ability to export and import OSSC settings profiles. This will make updating to future firmwares much easier because you won’t have to redo your settings, you just export them and then import them again after updating. This is why firebrandx posted up his very own exported OSSC profile. You install it the same way you do firmware but instead use the import settings option. I downloaded and tried firebrandx’s profile and it works perfectly, he even labeled all of them so you know which profile to pick based on the console you have connected. He hasn’t made a profile for every console but he is working on it, he just got his PSX cables so expect a PSX profile in the future. Unfortunately the OSSC only has 15 slots for saved profiles so you won’t be seeing a profile with every single console and mode included but Firebrandx also included a seperate file that you can use to add and take out profiles depending on which consoles you own.

2 Likes

What @Fallen92 just said.

Thanks

Don’t mention it @Kawika, just figured I’d answer since I was here and had time. Also in case anyone else wasn’t aware you can edit and make your own bin and json files using the web app found here. This is where you would upload and edit Firebrandx’s json file and customize it to your own needs. Just copy and paste.

1 Like

Interesting. I have used his guides for optimized timing settings but there is a lot of fine tuning that isn’t just standard on them, which he even says in his tutorials I believe, so wonder how that works out in using his profiles. Guess I’ll look into it once I finish some work. Thanks.

This might sound like an odd question, but does anyone have a < 2 GB Micro SD card I can either buy or borrow (mail it to me, I’ll use it, and mail it immediately back) to upgrade the firmware on my OSSC? I’ve bought two on Amazon and neither of them have worked. (They may not have actually been SD–they were likely SDHC.)

I’m sick of wasting time and money on cards that don’t do what I need them to, and that I know I won’t use for anything else.

Can anyone help me out??

There’s one confirmed to work in this thread (eBay link): https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/compatible-sd-cards/

I had no idea it needed something 2gb or under. Strangely enough I was looking for a <2gb card this week to load Swiss/GBI on my Gamecube but I also need to update my OSSC so this is good to know.

Well firmware version v0.74 added in support for SDHC/SDXC cards so you can use cards bigger than 2GB but the point is moot if you’ve never updated it before. My friend had a 512MB Samsung microSD I could have which is nice but it sucks that I needed it, the OSSC should’ve supported SDHC/SDXC cards in the first place or used a full size SD card since it’s easier to find a <2GB version of those.
@KC-Slater I wouldn’t mind mailing you the MicroSD card I used but I’m not entirely sure what would be the safest way to mail it nor am I sure how much shipping would cost, though it should be cheaper than buying one online from what I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Still need this? I got a couple of extra 2gb ones I pulled from some old junk phones. Amusingly enough I was having the same problem you are till I went though some old stuff.

1 Like

Hey–yes I absolutely am still in need! Feel free to inbox me if you’re interested in lending/selling it to me. Thanks!

I’m located in Ontario, Canada, I think regular letter mail inside a card or something would be fine. Feel free to inbox me if you are interested in lending/selling it to me. Thanks!