Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

In case you’re curious, RCA/Retro Access will build you a Scart/BNC cable but it costs $50. She gave an explanation on why it’s more expensive than Wookie’s cable, but I wasn’t really following. I probably would have considered it but I had already placed my order through the Retro UK site for one. $33 shipped across the pond really wasn’t bad at all.

But good information if you love RCA’s cables and want one from her. I sure as fuck wouldn’t give Wookie any money.

1 Like

Ha yeah, but honestly it’s not that bad imo. In total the cost including shipping was £180. That’s cheaper than the RetroUSB AVS would be! I think it’s very reasonable for what’s being offered as a complete price

So looking for a really cheap solution (max 30/40€) to connect my japanese Famicom AV (composite) to my hdmi screen , i dont use it much any more but still have a lot of games , and want to get rid of my CRT (switch to full OSSC setup a year ago) .
Any advice for a cheap “not so bad composite to hdmi converter” working with it ?

OSSC doesn’t take composite?

Nope, nor it takes S-Video.

You’ll never get a good picture.

I found this thing to least works to get it to VGA, without the nasty blurriness when moving you get from TV scalers. It’s basically a TV tuner box for VGA monitors. I didn’t test it extensively, I just used to use it to test NTSC RF consoles. You’d need another VGA to HDMI after that too so it would start to get extremely cumbersome.

1 Like

I plan using it on a pc monitor , so composite to vga is ok too :wink:
I know i won’t have a good picture but i really net to get rid of this CRT.
I will try this and after maybe invest in a AVS.

Thanks !

I guess it’s a very specifically tailored product. I don’t blame them. This inputs go unused on my framemeister.

I used to use them for the Famicom in the years ago before the NESRGB was invented (2011-2014). Still use them for Colecovision, VCS and various others.

I think part of the issue is just adding the space for those inputs (s-video and composite) would basically double the size of the unit, since it already has buttons or ports on all 4 sides. Would just be cumbersome for something that would only really be useful to a relatively small number of people invested enough in the hobby to think the OSSC is a good pick up. Might be able to allow for them via another input but then you’ll need a weird converter cable anyway. :woman_shrugging:

I don’t know though there’s still a few consoles out there that either don’t have RGB mods, or their RGB mods aren’t readily available any more. For me that would be the 7800 and the 3DO. I know that’s not many people, but I do think an S-Video port would be nice at the least. A good S-Video signal is a huge leap over composite, while not being that far behind RGB.

Got the Gscart in yesterday,really nice! I’m liking the extra output for going to the OSSC compared to the 1 output on my Hydra.

Got a preorder email and unique code for the PSIO flashcart (PS1). Decent price but I can’t justify buying it now as I’ve already gone for a super NT and ultrahdmi this month plus switch games.

Anyone want my code? The unit is 149 dollarooneys (Australian $), free shipping worldwide.

It does involve soldering an adaptor board in the console itself, but that seems simple enough. You also obviously need a PS1 with an expansion port.

I didn’t realize that the psio was finished/being sold. Shows how out of it I’ve been. It’s tempting to take you up on your offer, but think I’ll wait till a few revisions come out since I’ve got so much shit on my plate right now.

Saw this display at Gwacheon that a friend posted. Hahahah.

2 Likes

Is that bodine’s basement?

5 Likes

Worth mentioning that Firebrandx is actually working on an OSSC related project. He’ll provide a video tutorial to guide OSSC owners to set up their systems without guesswork, going beyond the incomplete (and not always correct) timing tables currently attached to the official Wiki page. Sounds exciting!

1 Like

If anyone sees this please post it up top. I feel there is something off and my tv would work even better with the OSSC if I knew wth i was doing behind the scenes. I can’t wait. FBX has been a king among men with all the work he did with the XRGB- MIni. I would have never figured that thing out without him.

No worries, I’ll keep this thread updated and link the video (and any other resource FBX should put up along with it) as soon as it gets posted. ^_-

When ever FirebrandX’s video goes up I’ll add it to the first post.