Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

Question: if one wants to shield an unshielded SCART cable… how difficult is that? And how does one actually go about doing that?

Good question.

Part of me wants to create a “learning to mod” thread. But I’d need someone well versed in these things to help make it.

It could be a valuable resource if done well.

I can draft up something on Sunday, maybe. A rundown of gear, soldering resources/guides and beginner mods (such as mega drive region modding, which is very simple).

I vote for this. Rich has great modding related content on his site.

One might say, rich is awesome

One might, but let’s see the thread first. (I kid, I kid)

But seriously, I think Rich would be a great candidate for this.

Cool, looking forward to it! I’ve had a Weller soldering station in my amazon cart for a while; need to pull the trigger on that soon so I can practice. I have a fried motherboard in an old pc I plan on abusing lol.

I don’t know this Rich person and now I want to. Care to link the site?

A modding 101 thread would be awesome. Only thing I’ve ever done is disable a 10NES chip, and replace a 72 pin connector (which isn’t a mod).

https://richretro.wordpress.com

1 Like

Thank you

Richisawesome was his old tag incase some didn’t get the reference - _-

1 Like

I modded my SNES Mini with RGB, S-video (cause I needed the challenge!) and I added a power LED. I can contribute a little with help for these mods.

That shipping bill is a killer.

In case you’re curious, RCA/Retro Access will build you a Scart/BNC cable but it costs $50. She gave an explanation on why it’s more expensive than Wookie’s cable, but I wasn’t really following. I probably would have considered it but I had already placed my order through the Retro UK site for one. $33 shipped across the pond really wasn’t bad at all.

But good information if you love RCA’s cables and want one from her. I sure as fuck wouldn’t give Wookie any money.

1 Like

Ha yeah, but honestly it’s not that bad imo. In total the cost including shipping was £180. That’s cheaper than the RetroUSB AVS would be! I think it’s very reasonable for what’s being offered as a complete price

So looking for a really cheap solution (max 30/40€) to connect my japanese Famicom AV (composite) to my hdmi screen , i dont use it much any more but still have a lot of games , and want to get rid of my CRT (switch to full OSSC setup a year ago) .
Any advice for a cheap “not so bad composite to hdmi converter” working with it ?

OSSC doesn’t take composite?

Nope, nor it takes S-Video.

You’ll never get a good picture.

I found this thing to least works to get it to VGA, without the nasty blurriness when moving you get from TV scalers. It’s basically a TV tuner box for VGA monitors. I didn’t test it extensively, I just used to use it to test NTSC RF consoles. You’d need another VGA to HDMI after that too so it would start to get extremely cumbersome.

1 Like

I plan using it on a pc monitor , so composite to vga is ok too :wink:
I know i won’t have a good picture but i really net to get rid of this CRT.
I will try this and after maybe invest in a AVS.

Thanks !