Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

I guess it’s a very specifically tailored product. I don’t blame them. This inputs go unused on my framemeister.

I used to use them for the Famicom in the years ago before the NESRGB was invented (2011-2014). Still use them for Colecovision, VCS and various others.

I think part of the issue is just adding the space for those inputs (s-video and composite) would basically double the size of the unit, since it already has buttons or ports on all 4 sides. Would just be cumbersome for something that would only really be useful to a relatively small number of people invested enough in the hobby to think the OSSC is a good pick up. Might be able to allow for them via another input but then you’ll need a weird converter cable anyway. :woman_shrugging:

I don’t know though there’s still a few consoles out there that either don’t have RGB mods, or their RGB mods aren’t readily available any more. For me that would be the 7800 and the 3DO. I know that’s not many people, but I do think an S-Video port would be nice at the least. A good S-Video signal is a huge leap over composite, while not being that far behind RGB.

Got the Gscart in yesterday,really nice! I’m liking the extra output for going to the OSSC compared to the 1 output on my Hydra.

Got a preorder email and unique code for the PSIO flashcart (PS1). Decent price but I can’t justify buying it now as I’ve already gone for a super NT and ultrahdmi this month plus switch games.

Anyone want my code? The unit is 149 dollarooneys (Australian $), free shipping worldwide.

It does involve soldering an adaptor board in the console itself, but that seems simple enough. You also obviously need a PS1 with an expansion port.

I didn’t realize that the psio was finished/being sold. Shows how out of it I’ve been. It’s tempting to take you up on your offer, but think I’ll wait till a few revisions come out since I’ve got so much shit on my plate right now.

Saw this display at Gwacheon that a friend posted. Hahahah.

2 Likes

Is that bodine’s basement?

5 Likes

Worth mentioning that Firebrandx is actually working on an OSSC related project. He’ll provide a video tutorial to guide OSSC owners to set up their systems without guesswork, going beyond the incomplete (and not always correct) timing tables currently attached to the official Wiki page. Sounds exciting!

1 Like

If anyone sees this please post it up top. I feel there is something off and my tv would work even better with the OSSC if I knew wth i was doing behind the scenes. I can’t wait. FBX has been a king among men with all the work he did with the XRGB- MIni. I would have never figured that thing out without him.

No worries, I’ll keep this thread updated and link the video (and any other resource FBX should put up along with it) as soon as it gets posted. ^_-

When ever FirebrandX’s video goes up I’ll add it to the first post.

Who snuck into my game room and took this pic?

I thought this article was very interesting in regards to line doubling 480p content with the ossc.

1 Like

I have yet to direct input any of my 480p consoles to my OSSC. I mostly run them through my gsscartsw. Since there are two paths out, 1 goes from my dsub connector to bnc to my pvm and the other scart goes to my OSSC. I bought those cable’s direct scart cables and I just don’t think they are as high quality as I was hoping for. I really should see what direct input of any of my outputs look like. I am just wondering if this is what is making me less impressed with the scaler.

What I would like to get one of these cable companies to make is a good shielded dsub15 to bnc cable, 1 component to scart cable so I can just use my gscompsw to gsscartsw to my pvm/scaler and probably a really nice shielded scart cable that is about 9 feet long so I can use it to go to my xrgb or ossc depending.

Also, is there a way to split rca audio into two outputs without losing clarity or using a large receiver.

I’m not that fancy. Luckily my old Samsung flatscreen has S-Video ports, so I’m just using S-Video for all of my consoles. :slight_smile:

This looks so much better it’s not even funny.

Try that with (light) scanlines on. The image output is beautiful.

I don’t have capture shit but I took some photos of my TV, I’m really impressed with this. Make sure to click and zoom in.

First is Line2X 480p as default:

Next is the same but with the higher sample rate (upsample2x):

Now, the best of all, upsample2x line2x 480p with soft scanlines:

The effect on an actual TV is really something else.

4 Likes

^^^^ And that, is why, in the Wii U thread, I said that the Wii U is not the best way to play Wii on a flat screen!

1 Like