What are your favorite puzzle games that aren't Tetris?

Another one for you

1 Like

This one just got released and it looks amazing!

1 Like

Looks great!

@raskulous he’s a weird one

Just started playing a lost cell phone puzzle game called Topolon.

G-Mode rereleased it on the Switch: https://gmodecorp.com/gmodearchives/topolon/

No videos of it exist online, but it was released outside of Japan back in the mid-2000s and received a pretty positive reception.

Hope it’s good enough to make a later appearance in this thread!

Upload a video!

Essential reading!

Originally published in Game Hihyou magazine, this feature saw several key puzzle game creators reflecting on the essence of puzzle video game design and sharing the origin stories of several of the most fondly-remembered puzzles games of the late ’80s and ’90s, from arcade classics like Puyo Puyo, Puzzle Bobble, Columns and Magical Drop to the console-exclusive Panel de Pon, the Japan-only action-puzzle game Babel no Tou and even STG developer Cave’s little-played arcade puzzle game Uo Poko.

http://shmuplations.com/puzzlegamecreators/

1 Like

Good shout - there’s a 1 minute mode and the Switch does 30 second captures. Just need to get my head around the game rules first…

Edit:

I enjoyed this one so much I went and made a thread on it…

@raskulous

Return to Castle Monkey Ball

1 Like

Well now I’ve seen everything.

1 Like

See? I knew 2021 was going to be an improvement!

1 Like

This looks like a really cool marble style game. It’s out for Steam and consoles.

Just watching my son play this right now… the graphics are great and the gameplay is very fast, with super tight controls.

I’m definitely excited to try this one.

Looks amazing. I need to play this!

For me it has to be Puyo Puyo 2. Played the hell out of that one on the Saturn.

How was Skully @raskulous ?

The algorithm knows me well and has just recommended me this mobile game. Not tried it yet!

Really cool actually… it’s fast and fun, and you get to switch into a different form at some points.

I’ve only played about 15 minutes as I have too much other stuff going on at the moment, but it’s on my short list of ones to spend more time with.

Not sure how many people play it these days, but I’d say Bejeweled is a pretty nice alternative to Tetris:

1 Like

Loved this on Palm OS.

1 Like

Yeah I played it back when it was on palm too, then again on very early Android.

Now it’s more widely associated with those jerks over at King, but back then it was actually a great game.