What retro styled games are you looking forward to in 2018?

I understand where you’re coming from, I personally dislike faux 8-bit games that incorrectly mish mash art styles, disregard pixel size consistency and get retro all wrong, but I think they’ve really nailed the Natsume look here and shown a great deal of restraint with bending the rules where it makes sense. Can’t speak for the gameplay, but I’m seeing consistency in the art style here and this is far above the common retro indie junk.

I’m still waiting for Pocket Rumble which was supposed to be a March launch window Switch game but feels like it’s never coming out. Back in August the dev said the last few bugs were being caught and the Switch port was being finished :neutral_face:

1 Like

Brings back many fond memories of King of Fighters R-2, Samurai Shodown! 2 and SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium on the NGPC.

1 Like

It looks so much like them that there is no way that it wasn’t the intention.

Yeah, the NGPC fighting game inspiration was very deliberate.

The game’s listing was removed from Nintendo’s site (was a dead link) but it went back up with a “Coming 2018” release date.

Latest update:

Looks like RetroBit is releasing Holy Diver for the NES in 2018. Cool collectir’s edition too:

Paprium is on my radar. Hoping that plays as good as it looks in stills.

I saw this today. I literally know nothing about it save the dev of axiom Verge retweeted something about it.

1 Like

That Holy Diver looks cool - but I guess Im happy with the copy I already own.

Is that the game with the really cool CRT filters?

Well shit! I just watched the launch trailer and I need to see more!

Matt Kap is the Castle in the Darkness guy, which is a really cool game if you haven’t played it. Looks like LABS is his new game studio and that’s their first game. Looking forward to it!

Here’s a link for Castle in the Darkness. Easily located on Steam.

http://castleinthedarkness.mattkap.net/

Very timely. Saw this on Reset.

2 Likes

Pocket Rumble is definitely really well-done. I’ve had a good amount of fun with the Steam release.

A PC port of Polybius is apparently still on the way, and Tempest 4000 will of course be excellent (and hopefully VR). Been meaning to play Fight n’ Rage.

Big one for me is Steel Assault, sri-k’s awesome-looking action platformer:

I also just backed Xeno Crisis, an upcoming arena shooter for MD with Henk Nieborg art, with cautious optimism:

Also hoping action-puzzle game Boulder Boy makes it out, the devs said they’d be continuing with development after an unsuccessful Kickstarter:

and of course (shameless plug) I’m excited to release my own game, HORIZON VANGUARD late this year:

1 Like

Oh yea I want to try your game tain. Gives me a slight Sin and Punishment on N64 vibe. Maybe Virtual Cop too.

Is it VR?

Yup, there’s an early demo for SteamVR on Steam and itch.io at the moment and I’m hoping to get a Rift-native version in the Oculus store this month (though the SteamVR version works well on Rift of course).

I’d also like to release on PSVR, but I’m still in the “getting PS4 dev access” stage there.

It looks cool but I’m done with PSVR. I’ll wait for a more powerful, higher clarity option. I really want the htc Vive I don’t have the space required to enjoy it right.

1 Like

Has to be UFO 50…

https://50games.fun/

Gah… the moment it comes to PSVR I’m on board. I hope it reviews well enough so that Sony comes banging on your door and demanding the game for their platform, and throws fistfulls of money at you.

1 Like

Nice article by Jeremy Parish about the Messenger. Game certainly looks rad. Check out the teaser trailer for the small taste of the jump to 16-bit style graphics at the end.

This one just has to come to the Switch.

1 Like