Anyone for Golf? ⛳

https://www.instagram.com/p/BucZbkDlzE6/

Started playing the DSiWare followup to T&E Soft’s Nintendo Touch Golf and the interface has impressed me a lot. Swinging is both tactile, intuitive and technical, and putting is great too. I just wish there was a way to rotate the camera when viewing the course and green. But I’m still discovering new things, for example you can pick up and drag the pinpoint location for your intended shot with the stylus. That’s great for examining the course too.

2 Likes

Did you try the built-in manual? It’s been a while and I’m currently away from my DSi so I can’t remember if there’s camera rotate.

Really glad you’re enjoying it! It’s a great game.

I’ll give it a look this evening, it would be really helpful when putting, though it is also pretty cool having to reinterpret the green from a different angle.

That said, the game seems to show an outline of where the ball will go when putting I think, which feels a bit like cheating. Is there a way to turn it off or is it not accurate enough to rely on it (only done easy challenges in the new challenge mode for now)?

Ah, the big putting arrow. IIRC this decreases in size as your handicap goes down (skill level increases).

I do remember a way to view the green from the side or reverse angle. But I’m not sure of details.

Oh that’s really cool actually, and makes logical sense that the training wheels would eventually come off when you’re skilled. It would be nice to turn it off entirely though, but it isn’t as much of an assist as racing/braking lines in modern driving games at least.

The size of the golf hole also shrinks down to normal size the further you get.

X button changes green camera. B cancels. Not sure if you can rotate or zoom whilst using green cam?

Just played another round in my ongoing challenge mode attempt - X indeed changes/cycles through to new camera angles! Y seems to change the camera between focusing on the green or pin. I think there’s also a way to scroll the camera with the D-Pad, but it wasn’t mentioned in the manual. Thanks for the heads-up!

1 Like

Really want to play this but it’ll have to wait a while. Challenge mode is the real deal.

The first golf game I really fell in love with was a freebie in “Links” series that came with our new Pentium 150 computer.

It was Microsoft Golf 1.0 1998 edition, for Windows 95.

I played countless hours of it, and tried many other games in the following years, but never really enjoyed one like it again, all the way up to Tiger Woods 2007 on the Xbox.

That’s a good version of Links. I really enjoyed Xbox Links 2004, the only problem was that once you got good enough you could dial in shots with absolute precision all too easily. Kind of game breaking. Great game though.

I’m currently playing Jun Classic C.C. & Rope Club (PS1) which was the last in trilogy of golf games by T&E SOFT for PS1. After that, Saturn.

Golf, you say?

My first HIO on Golden Tee. I’ve made a little bit more than I put in my account so far. Friend of mine bought one for his home.

1 Like

You guys ever play Pangya golf on PC back when it was around? I just thought about that title this morning.

I loved it. It’s a bummer that it’s gone now. I used to play it around 2008 or so. It was also known as Albatross18 back then.

It’s sad when online games literally disappear from existence.

1 Like

I played the PC version briefly. My only taste of MMO games.

There’s something called Pangya Celebrity which is a private server for the old PC version.

It’s also still around in mobile form (iOS and Android) but only in Thailand, Taiwan and Indonesia thanks to LINE.

There are also 3 offline Pangya golf games on console. Two on Wii (aka Super Swing Golf 1/2) and one on PSP (supports local wireless multiplayer).

I think the most successful MMO Golf game today is Com2us’ GolfStar, which plays a really good game of golf. I can’t recommend it though, because the in-your-face micro-transactions and countdown-timers are just too much. Call me old-fashioned.

I’ll call you retro instead :smiling_face:

1 Like

I played it… it was actually really fun until I discovered how far behind the curve I was in skill (AKA money dropped into the game). I was happy with my piddly little 3 under par, and people were getting 40 under.

PANGYA! I still hear the sound.

It was an interesting take on the genre with it’s crazy powerups. Golf MMO basically.

Some people were ridiculously precise online too. I was good but not 40 under par good.

Just googled for some world records, and found this -54…

Not sure why the hole numbers jump around, but the scoreboard seems legit at the end. Hole in one on every hole!

Game is broken, man.

I read that people created spreadsheets and tools that could dial in shots precisely. I mean, where’s the fun in that?

Never did, but I always wanted to try the Wii game. I think there might have been two on Wii. That reminds me, there was also a Camelot-developed golf game published by Capcom after they briefly fell out with Nintendo. I guess that’s why Nintendo partnered with T&E Soft again for DS’s first party Golf title.