Anyone for Golf? ⛳

We Love Golf

I didn’t play it because it requires motion controls (I’m usually fine with motion control so I’ll go back to it)

Sid Meier’s Sim Golf is damn good. It’s a tycoon game where you build and manage your own courses and club, and then make your own golfer that you can use to play the course and level up stats as you go while holding tournaments and getting challenged by pros.

Can pull off some really fun trick shots in it as well.

Has anyone played Battle Golfer Yui? There’s a English translation patch (beta version). It appears to be a golf game with rpg sections? Elements?

I was hoping to try it out over the weekend but I’ll be out of town so no dice.

Sounds interesting! How heavy is the RPG part?

Just found this great T&E ad in an old Famitsu:

No idea, I haven’t played it yet. I hope to next week pending that elusive thing called “free time.” lol

1 Like

Well, this looks decent for MSX!

info: https://www.generation-msx.nl/software/pack-in-video/the-golf/release/1121/

I played the above MSX game tonight and — wow — it’s so very impressive. Plays like a T&E SOFT golf game but… it isn’t one.

I mean… it even has the half-time digitised photo and music montage.

Arguably, this is on par with the SNES (1991) and MD (1993) T&E games. At least graphically and gameplay wise. Speed it is obviously slower at redrawing the course given that it’s running as MSX2 (and it’s not Turbo enabled).

Now, the bombshell is that this game is dated 1988! Which means it precedes T&E SOFT’s 1989 PC-98 version (the first of their New 3D Golf Simulation series), which for comparison sake looked like this:

And so my mind is kinda blown right now. I need time to process what this means to my world view :joy:

So… Street Golfer (PS2)

Looking longingly at Japan Pro Golf Tour (64DD) and the earlier and very similar Eikou no Saint Andrews (N64) both seeimingly not possible to emulate. Both by SETA Corporation.

Then I remembered (and ordered) Legend of Golfer (GC). Also by SETA Corporation.

Let’s see how it goes.

A store near me has Legend of Golfer for quite cheap so i’d be interested to hear your thoughts once you get it. They’ve also got Swingerz Golf which looked a bit like Pangya from the pics on the back, anyone played that?

Another store near me had St Andrew’s until i bought it today! Mostly got it out of curiosity, being such an early release i wonder how bad it is.

NICE! Where do you live that stores have these rare titles "quite cheap”? Ah, Japan.

Swingerz (Ace Golf in Europe) I did not like. It’s OK, just… uninspiring.

St Andrews plays a decent game, apparently, but yes it looks a little unrefined.

I just updated the T&E list in the OP, and put a check mark next to each one I’ve played.

For those wanting to save time, go with:

1. PlayStation (3 games) - full 3D, fast response, great control
  2. Mega Drive (4 games) - most charming, play at 400% CPU to get a modern feel
  3. Super Famicom (final 2 games) - technically very impressive, though emulation can be a problem, don’t work on Super NT
  4. Nintendo DS (2 games) - a great version that I almost consider separate from the rest of the series
  5. Saturn (5 games) - play more like SNES than PS1, but is the console with the most games
  6. PC-98 (6+ games) - for the most curious only, the largest reange of courses
  7. PlayStation 2 (2 games) - move away from realism has me less interested in these

I’m considering doing a YouTube video on this to save this knowledge for future generations.

Send help.

I didn’t realise the Super NT had problems with some games! Are there more?

I’ve been on the lookout for those later T&E Soft SFC games for a while, i only see the earlier ones around. I have Wicked 18 though, and Augusta 3 i think on Saturn. Augusta was pretty decent i thought.

And yes, Japan! That one was just from a general recycle/used shop. The others i saw at a place called Manga Souko that is mostly games

Mine has run everything flawlessly (so far)

I know it can’t run special chip games with jail broken firmware, you need the actual carts.

There are a dozen or so known problematic games with no resolution so far.
https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak/issues/

When I bought mine, earlier this year, they did seem less common than the early titles.
But I was patient and got them for a good price (YAJ via Buyee)
I also got a loose cart via Amazon marketplace but got a refund for that (and got to keep the cart!)

I have the real carts for Pebble Beach no Hatou NEW: Torunament Edition and the similar Harukanaru Augusta 3 Masters NEW and they both have issues.

Known since 1 year ago and still not resolved.
https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak/issues/100

Super NT looks like this

https://imgur.com/a/1s5lzsA

My photos

https://imgur.com/a/aWvfwPk

Do these work on Higan/BSNES? Is there any way to play them besides original hardware? If not that makes them pretty interesting in the widely-accessible SNES library.

Also:

Do I have to build courses or can I just live my dream of visiting posh country clubs to golf and network with my yuppie friends?

(Sorry, I’m just a filthy mini putt-putt and Neo Turf Masters casual)

I can only speak for the golf games, but they are quite easily playable on RetroArch. I use one of the SNES9x cores to play them even on SNES Classic.

So it’s a bit surprising that Super NT doesn’t run them correctly.

if i remember correctly they work with the sd2snes but not real cartridges on the super nt, saw kev mention in an interview that he has no clue how to fix it and most likely doesn’t have the time to look into it either.

1 Like

Yeah we’re deep in the weeds here, niche of a niche.

This is a cool golf game written using pico8

I particularly like the zoom transitions from birds-eye to fairway to putting green. Fore!