Arcade Check-in

I’m at The Galloping Ghost in Chicago. Good lord! This place is absolutely incredible!!

2 Likes

Such a great place!

They have a Flicky cab used by the girl that has the verified world record. I met Danielle there to talk tactics (because I own a Flicky cab and am crazy about the game) and was super impressed by the place.

1 Like

Love GGA. Been going there for a long time. It’s an incredible place with just about every game you could ever want to play. I only wish I lived closer, as I’m about 3 hours away. The shmups room is fantastic.

1 Like

There is a Round 1 about an hour away from me that we checked out a couple weeks ago. It was cool but not amazing. Lots of sit downs for (new) Daytona and Mario Kart and Initial D and a few others. Tons of UFO catchers too. Had one of those modern Pong machines, I thought it was pretty cool.

I will absolutely make a point of visiting Galloping Ghost sometime in the next few years (8 hrs away!)

Otherwise the most common arcades have to be bar arcades right? Seems like every city has a couple.

1 Like

In the UK we have Arcade Club who now have multiple locations. My Flicky cab is in loan to them.

1 Like

There are a few barcades coming to my city this year, I’ll have to check them out. As far as I know, we don’t have any traditional arcades left.

1 Like

I’d drive that three hours multiple times a year. lol!

I was so damn impressed. You never see shooters like this place has. That entire shooting room could have been the only thing they had and I would have been happy. I was just in awe of the volume of fantastic games on display and obscurities that I had never seen and in a handful of cases never heard of! I’m 47 and I went to a LOT of arcades through the years. It takes a lot to bowl me over and the Galloping Ghost did just that. Funspot in NH is excellent and focused a little differently toward older cabinets than GG so it complements it nicely, but I’d honestly spend more time at GG and Funspot as a whole.

I made a long post at Qt3 about it so it’s easier to link that I think… pictures included!

2 Likes

I’m 5 hours away. Went to GG a few years ago and was blown away. Would love to go back. I’ve been to Chicago a couple times since, but couldn’t find the time to make it back to GG. Sadly, my wife doesn’t want to spend an entire day in the arcade :frowning:

1 Like

Would be cool if there was an RGB meetup at the Galloping Ghost sometime. Not sure how feasible it is but it could be fun.

1 Like

I could definitely consider making this a once a year event for myself. We have some great arcades locally, but nothing that was on this level. Wow.

1 Like

I always wanted to visit Chicago :thinking:.

2 Likes

I’ve still never been to the states, always wanted to check out Funspot and GGA. UK has gotten much better this last few years with Arcade Club and a whole load of other places popping up. With any luck… I shall be opening up my own collection to the public soon, I only got about 27 cabs in total, but keeping them all up and running is indeed still quite the game. I couldn’t imagine looking after hundreds of cabs right now.

Also going to Japan again next month for a two week arcade sesh…

1 Like

Im around 45 minutes away from Galloping Ghost. There’s a planned STG meetup for 2020 at GG and I’ll be there for that.

2 Likes

What a great post @DaveLong.
Time for me to start planning a trip to Chicago with my sons! :star_struck:

1 Like

I’m glad I could turn you on to the place! Sometimes I think we don’t talk about arcades enough. There are a number of spots now you can play these games many of us grew up with. I love spotting arcade machines in the wild too. Walking by a laundromat and seeing a Virtua Fighter or something like that? It’s awesome.

If people make trips to places, please use this thread to check in! I’d love to see pictures from all over the world where these games are still being played!

1 Like

Taking an empty suitcase?

1 Like

I was going to mention Arcade Club - didn’t realise they existed until someone brought it to my attention yesterday. Looks brilliant.

If you’re going Kyushu (or heck, anywhere, it doesn’t matter) let us know if you find any good independently run arcades in Japan with older titles!

Just going to Tokyo and Osaka this time, been over numerous times before, done tons of tourism so this time its just an arcade trip. done loads of hunting already and have a few dozen noted down, there’s the obvious ones like Hey and Mikado but there’s tons of little ones squirreled away. New retro joint in Osaka called Zarigani too.

Arguably yeah you can play a lot of these games up at Arcade Club now but there’s something about the different atmosphere that I enjoy. Also great to see the new games in current arcades over there too.

And yes I will be taking a spare suitcase haha. Fill it with computers and PCBs hopefully.

I’m hoping to make the trip to Chicago next spring/summer, and visit Galloping Ghost. I’m sure I could probably spend an entire weekend there, just soaking it all in :smiley:

Huge international Super Turbo tournament going on in France. A few Americans, a lot of British and French players. Also some legends from Japan like Shogatsu and Mattsun