Can we talk about shmups? What are your top 5 of all time and why?

Asking here just to keep from making a new thread.

My daughter is 6 and overall not much of a gamer. From what she does like to play, I am wanting to introduce her shmups since they are more straightforward than most games (on the surface).

So what shmup would you guys recommend for an absolute beginner gamer, I’m talking the simplest and easiest shmup around that will still give her an idea of how to play and introduce her to the genre?

I would think platformers would be a much better introduction, but to directly answer your question, the easiest shmup I’ve played is Sine Mora.

It’s pretty to look at, and I finished it on my 2nd attempt.

I would recommend something light hearted, like Star Parodier if you’re able to play that game. Other great intro shooters on the TurboGrafx are Blazing Lazers and Super Star Soldier.

If you prefer the Genesis, I can’t recommend Fire Shark enough for a beginner. :slight_smile:

Thunder Force 3 or Super R-Type on kids mode.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, we will try them this weekend!

Ketsui on PS4 … it has a preset Super Easy mode, but you can make it even easier in the options.
My 4 year old managed to finish it this way and had a really good time!

1 Like

I should have mentioned, she actually prefers a stick or Keyboard, which is part of the reason she struggles with platformers. Since I have a stick for PS4 this is a good recommendation!

Also, on an unrelated note, I’ve just discovered Viewpoint on the Neo-Geo and it rocks!

I love the art style, which I feel is the rare blend of 2D and 3D (digitized?) assets done well, and even though I’m just to the second boss (doing 2 credit/$.50 runs) the levels and enemy types are pleasingly varied and interesting. It’s the first time I’ve really gotten into an isometric shooter but I am really digging the feel as well, control is good.

I see this was ported to other systems like PS1 and Genesis, I’m assuming the Neo-Geo is the way to go?

1 Like

The Neo Geo version is the one true god. It’s in my all-time top five. I recently bought it on Neo CD.

The Genesis version is interesting from a port standpoint in that it’s good for a Genesis port. I think it’s worth playing if you love the original. The PSX game has a similar appeal but it’s got terrible slowdown/speedup problems. It’s “enhanced” graphically. It’s a mess of a game but still sort of interesting if you are a fan.

I have a very weird relationship with shmups as all of my favourite 2D games in the genre were directed by a same person: Hiroshi Iuchi. I love his games but as far as 2D games go there’s very little else I like. Which is a shame, as I’ve given it a fair shot multiple times! Bullet-hell shooters aren’t for me, unfortunately.

So mixing up with 3D on-rails shooters, my Top 5 would be something like this:

Radiant Silvergun
Ikaruga
Gradius V
Star Fox 64
REZ

There’s a few other games which would make the cut such as Sin and Punishment, Panzer Dragoon, Space Harrier, Parodius and so on. I definitely lean more towards 3D on-rails, for some reason.