Commodore Amiga [OT]

Introduced by Commodore in 1985, the Amiga was a line of 16-bit computers with a strong game development community. It was released at a time when their 8-bit Commodore 64 was only three years old and still popular but with rival companies making powerful new computers, it was important to get the system out to tackle the higher end market. Its primary competition was Atari’s ST and Apple’s IIGS. The latter never really took off but initially the ST was selling better than the Amiga.
commodoreamiga500-a-1024x661

Many games in the '80s were released on both ST and Amiga. The ST was a bit weaker and lacked hardware scrolling so many of these games were developed at ST level and didn’t use the Amiga’s full abilities (although they were still impressive). It wasn’t until the '90s that I think the Amiga would really shine in the games department. By then the ST was becoming less relevant and the Amiga was getting more exclusives.

Similar to the jump from NES to SNES, or SMS to Genesis, the jump from C64 to Amiga was a big graphical improvement and many games were refinements of the previous system’s concepts. However, I don’t think the C64-Amiga situation parallels exactly with what happened with the consoles for these reasons:

• The Amiga’s heyday coincided with other awesome games systems with exclusive games: Genesis, TurboGrafx, SNES and DOS PC. The C64 was in a position in the mid '80s where owning just it would cover you very well. Consoles were dying in support and many of 1984’s NA console games were on C64. I love the Atari 800 and Apple II but many of their best games were ported nicely to C64. And DOS PC wasn’t really relevant for games yet. I am speaking specifically about the North American market, though. Japan obviously had good Famicom and MSX stuff that most of us couldn’t get to yet and Europe had Spectrum and Amstrad games.

• The Amiga computers remained at a price level competing with other high end computers while the C64 dropped closer to console prices, and could be hooked to a TV without needing an adapter. The Amiga had more of a reputation for non-gaming software than the C64.

• Despite Commodore being an American company (although founded in Canada in their pre-computer days), and the C64 having sold well in North America, the Amiga wasn’t very successful in that region. This resulted in the Amiga’s game development scene being largely European while the C64 had more of a NA/EU mix. A bunch of the Amiga’s great games (LucasArts and Sierra adventures, Civilization, Dune II, Desert Strike, Prince of Persia, Ultima games, etc.) did originate from NA but these were straight ports mostly from PC and not originally made for Amiga.

Here are 20 quality Amiga games:
(Years ago, I made a much bigger version of this thread if anyone wants more game pics. It seemed like overkill to post that many. http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/threads/54727-Commodore-Amiga )

Agony (Art and Magic/Psygnosis)
This is one I admit I liked more for style over substance. It was still solid for gameplay but the art, detail, music, and animation were incredible.
agony_09

Another World AKA Out of this World (Delphine Software/U.S. Gold/Interplay)
I was amazed at the cinematic nature and surreal art style in this game. I had never seen or played anything quite like it. I was bummed that I didn’t own an Amiga at the time but I ended up getting its first console port in 1992 (SNES) and it was a worthy conversion as were others. The Amiga version remained the best one visually until modern ports. This game was also a big influence on one of Japan’s few Amiga owner-turned game designers, Fumito Ueda, the main man at Team Ico.
another_world_11

Apidya (Kaiko/Blue Byte)
Although it took inspiration from Japanese games like Insector-X and Gradius in theme and power up system, this popular Amiga shooter was very European in look and feel. It has held up well over time for fans of methodical shooters.
apidya_16

B.A.T. series (Computer’s Dream/Esprit Software Programs/Ubi Soft)
I preferred and put more time into the second game (also known as Koshan Conspiracy). It was a hard game to categorize as it felt like an open-ended adventure game but had RPG stats/battles, arcade-y minigames, and 3d flight areas. It was quite ambitious for a 1992 game. I think the ST version might have come first but the Amiga and PC versions were very similar.
bat_ii_06

BC Kid (Factor 5/Hudson Soft)
Yes, that’s Bonk’s Adventure on Amiga. It was quite a good port, too (most Amiga ports of Japanese games were hideous bastardizations). I missed the turbo switch super spin, and it was a little odd pressing up to jump, but it retained most of the look and feel of the TG16 classic. It played a little faster than the original and had some nice colour touch ups although I didn’t like the new soundtrack as much. BC Kid along with R-Type and Katakis are available for free to download at Factor 5’s site. http://www.factor5.de/downloads.shtml
bc_kid_06

Cannon Fodder series (Sensible Software/Virgin Interactive)
Kick ass action/strategy hybrid. It did manage to get console ports (even to the Jaguar) but the mouse control on Amiga was more intuitive.
cannon_fodder_06

Crazy Cars series (Titus Software)
This series didn’t really get good until part 3. Crazy Cars III had both smooth motion and a great speed sensation.
crazy_cars_iii_03

D/Generation (Abersoft/Mindscape)
This blended genres really well (action, stealth, puzzles). The PC and ST versions might have been made first (I don’t know) but the Amiga and CD32 got versions with enhanced graphics a few years later.
d-generation_(aga)_12

Dreamweb (Creative Reality/Empire Interactive)
Dark, demented, and quite gory for its time. Opinions remain polarized on this adventure game. Some hate how it lets you pick up tons of objects you will never use but that never bothered me as the puzzles were logical enough.
dreamweb_(aga)_05

Flashback (Delphine Software/U.S. Gold)
Man, I loved this game. I figure most of you have played a console port of it if not the Amiga original. The Genesis version was the first one I played and owned.
flashback_04

Future Wars: Time Travellers (Delphine Software/Palace Software)
A couple years before Out of this World, Eric Chahi did the graphics for this, one of better sci-fi graphic adventures of the '80s and still worth playing. The PC version was pretty close in quality but I think the Amiga one looked a tad nicer.
future_wars_05

Hunter (Activision)
Like Mercenary before it, this was step towards modern GTA-style sandbox gaming with its 3d environment, ability to grab and use various vehicles, and freedom to choose missions. Games like this are an example of Amiga culture living on in future game eras despite the mainstream seeming to forget most stuff not on Nintendo systems.
hunter_03

Lemmings series (DMA Design/Psygnosis)
I hope no one missed out this breakthrough puzzle game as it was ported to nearly everything.
lemmings_14

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge series (Magnetic Fields/Gremlin)
The first game came out in 1990 and it was so much smoother than any racing game you could get on console.
lotus_esprit_turbo_challenge_07

Moonstone: A Hard Day’s Knight (Mindscape)
A mix of real-time fighting and RPG leveling.
moonstone_12

Perihelion: The Prophecy (Morbid Visions/Psygnosis)
One of more overlooked RPGs of the early '90s. It was scarce for enemy encounters but it nailed the bleak cyberpunk vibe with cool computer hacking stuff. It also had an Elder Scrolls-like leveling system where skills upgraded through usage.
perihelion_006

Qwak (Team 17)
A remake of an older BBC Micro game. The Bubble Bobble influence is obvious but this could hold its own as a great single-screen platformer. It was later ported to PC and Mac but I think some of the charm was lost there.
qwak_04

Shadow of the Beast series (Reflections/Pygnosis)
My jaw dropped when saw the first game back in '89. It was the most graphically impressive home game I had seen, especially in motion with all the layers of scrolling. SotB 1 and 2 were good action-adventures but I feel SotB3 is the one that holds up best. Normally a series becoming easier and more linear is a red flag but I think in this case having a less frustrating game was an improvement.
shadow_of_the_beast_iii_06

Super Obliteration
Pang meets Asteroids in this freeware gem.
super_obliteration_05

Turrican series (Factor 5/Rainbow Arts)
You can’t go wrong with any of the three Turrican games on Amiga. Part 2 is probably my favourite. It was a refinement of the first game’s formula and more exploratory than T3 and the console games.
turrican_ii_16

It’s a system with a strong and influential history for games even though Commodore itself went bankrupt not long after attempting a console version of the system with the CD32 in 1993. Some links:
lemonamiga.com
http://oldcomputers.net/amiga1000.html

4 Likes

I loved the Amiga, even if I got it when piracy was at its raging peak, here in my country… Nonetheless, so many great games I’d love to revisit and own original copies of, today: other than those you’ve already highlighted, I’d also mention a couple of personal favourites, such as Supercars 2, It Came from the Desert, Dyna Blaster and Project X.
It kinda fell short of quality arcade ports, but the plethora of truly outstanding exclusives made up for it.

I think the ST had a faster CPU wise but the Amiga had custom chips to help it out. ST had midi, Amiga had multitasking.

Ya, initially the Atari ST line ran at 8 MHz and the Amiga line ran at a little over 7 MHz. Overall though, the Amiga was a better computer and it wasn’t until 1990, when Atari introduced the STE line that they made a comparable computer and by then it was too late. Outside of the Amiga 500, 600 and 1200 though, they were pretty expensive, while the ST line was initially more affordable. Although the Amiga 500 really cut into the price advantage of the ST line.

I loved computer gaming back in the 80’s and early 90’s, but had an ST, instead of an Amiga. I was always envious of the Amiga for getting all the cool SSI Advanced Dungeons and Dragons RPGs, while the ST only got a few. The ST did have a bunch of cool games though and to this day, I even have a tricked out Atari 1040 STE set up next to my modern PC.

It’s funny though, as the taste in computer games between the US and Europe is quite different during the 80’s and early 90’s. US computer gamers were more into RPGs, simulations, adventure and military strategy games, although there was quite a bit of cross over as well.

I was also an ST owner, but picked up an Amiga 600 and fitted a CF card in place of the hard drive and caught up on all the games I was unable to play back in the day. The Amiga is a great machine, no doubt about it, but the ST is more accessible. I also prefer the chip music of the ST to the mod music of the Amiga, although I admit that I am biased.

I new video about the early history of the amiga was just posted by the RetroAhoy YouTube channel
https://youtu.be/zB_UZsJUbwQ
I found it interesting and there are some good camera shots of various Amiga games running on original hardware that look great.

2 Likes

This guy makes some of the absolute best documentaries on YouTube about gaming, and this one is no exception. Great video.

1 Like

I love the Amiga :heart:
swapping disks at school and countless hours of copying games with x-copy!
It was a great time to be part of a computer scene, the likes of which we will never see again.
At the time most schools had ST’s due to its music software which was used in music lessons but the Amiga was king of the playground!

My favourite Amiga game was a micropose strategy/space sim game called Starlord.

I finally found one of my dream systems, and I am super stoked!

I ended up finding this guy on a local buy and sell site here in Canada, and drove 12 hours round trip to pick it up.

I paid $300 snowbucks for it, which was a crazy good deal in my opinion.

The day before I was slated to go pick it up, the seller messaged me and informed me that he had a second A1000 from his sister, and asked if I would be interested. I said yes, and my brother (who also has some commodore stuff) made an offer on it @ $250.

Here’s an album of my first hook up and test: Amiga 1000 - Album on Imgur

And here’s a much more extensive album of disassembly and cleaning of the entire system including monitor: Amiga 1000, Amiga 1080 monitor, Commodore 1010 disk drive: Clean up time! - Album on Imgur

5 Likes

Great work.

That’s looks amazing, and such a good deal on the whole kit.

Nice!!!

The branding on the original Amiga 1000 computer and monitor was so cool. Kudos on getting a 1MB machine. :+1:

1 Like

Just wanted to add a bit of general issues to look for when buying an Amiga in 2019.

1: Some Amigas have a clock battery that is prone to leakage, spilling acid on your precious system. Make sure you get a good photo of the area around the clock battery to assess the damage before you buy. All of these systems will have leaked by now, so it’s a matter of how bad the corrosion is.

• A1000 = No battery
  • A500 = No battery
  • A500+ = Bad clock battery
  • A600 = Bad Clock battery
  • A1200 = Bad Clock battery
  • A2000 = Bad Clock battery
  • A3000 = Bad Clock battery
  • A4000 = Bad Clock battery

2: RAM expansions are also a concern, as they are VERY common, and often have clock batteries that you need to know about. Typically if the clock battery on the RAM expansion has leaked, you can just take out the expansion, and the system will be fine. Whether that expansion can be fixed or not depends on how far gone it is.

3: Some Amiga systems have newer SMD style capacitors that are prone to leakage. These will not be as large of an issue as the clock batteries, but they will leak, and they will cause damage. These systems are getting to the age now, that’s it’s near impossible to find one that has not leaked.

• A1000 = Good capacitors
  • A500 = Good capacitors
  • A500+ = Good capacitors
  • A600 = Bad SMD style capacitors
  • A1200 = Bad SMD style capacitors
  • A2000 = Good capacitors
  • A3000 = Good capacitors
  • A4000 = Bad SMD style capacitors

Here’s a couple photos I’ve taken of some issues with the systems I have bought.

No-name Amiga 500 RAM expansion - The worst I’ve seen. I didn’t even try to revive this guy. You can see that the PCB is actually bulging from all the corrosion.

Commodore A501 RAM expansion for the Amiga 500 - This looks like it will work once it’s cleaned up.

Amiga 2000 Battery Leakage - Looks bad, but turned out good.

Amiga 2000 Battery Replacement - Cleaned up nicely, removed the 68000 and cleaned the green corrosion off the pins, and installed a new button-style battery.

Amiga 2000 Battery Leakage - Very nice shape on this one, as little leaking as I’ve seen.

Amiga 2000 Battery Leakage - Destroyed 68000 socket, pin sockets completely missing. Replacement socket needed. See all the green corrosion spread all over.

Hope this helps, happy hunting everyone!

For anyone running an Amiga 2000 that finds their PSU too loud, here’s a simple mod you can do to make it inaudible!

https://raskulous.com/2020/02/amiga-2000-power-supply-fan-mod/

1 Like

I did a similar fan mod on another ancient computer. It’s life changing really.

1 Like

Tiny Bobble, a Bubble Bobble remake on the Amiga that is better than the official Amiga port and edging towards the arcade version.

3 Likes

Amiga port of MSX2 Metal Gear

the same guy was involved in this excellent demo scene prod

1 Like

This Shadow of the Beast video is old, but I just wanted to toss it in here.

I recently picked up an Amiga game that has incredibly good music, and it made me want to do this again. Will follow up soon.

3 Likes

Here’s the music for Fury of the Furries! A much overlooked game in my opinion.

1 Like

Gotta love those Amiga tunes! Coincidentally, I was just listening to Jaguar XJ220’s music!

Damn, what a soundtrack!

Nice, that’s a good one. Never played that game myself, I should check it out.

1 Like