Consumer CRT Thread

Luckily where I live alot of thrift stores have old crts. Goodwills are worthless here though. I saw a sony 20" trinitron the other day that I was going to get but upon closer inspection it looks like they dropped it as the bottom plastic was all smashed, dissapointing.

I have too many CRTs already but…

honestly might drive by to see if the 36inch JVC is still there tomorrow…

well it didn’t fit in the car very well!

geometry not bad for the side of the road!

overall a fun time!

only picked up the JVC, 2002, AV-36320. So far so good! 36 inches is HUGE and much much bigger screen size than I expected compared to my usual 20 inch PVM playing. Fun afternoon (hauling it up to my 3rd floor apartment).

That’s a really good TV you picked up! And with Component you’re pretty much set up for everything RGB.

Amazing. Great get.

1 Like

The JVC D series are quite good. I have an 800 line 32d501 and while it’s very nice, it’s not even in the same league as the FV310.

Jesus man no need to rain on their parade lol.

I still got my eye out for an FV310. Keep coming up with HS sets. Boo.

Really nice pick up man, those TVs are awesome.

overall a fun time!

only picked up the JVC, 2002, AV-36320. So far so good! 36 inches is HUGE and much much bigger screen size than I expected compared to my usual 20 inch PVM playing. Fun afternoon (hauling it up to my 3rd floor apartment).
[/quote]

Yeah great geometry for a 36" tv, most crt’s that huge have horrible issues. How many people did it take to move that?

[quote=“bobble, post:24, topic:703”]

Only 2 of us but it sucked, 3 flights of stairs! The TV is “only” 150lbs (I think some beasts are over 200 - we would have had a hell of a time if that was the case).

Since using it over the past few days I really love the size - as my brother says (shout out if he’s lurking) “there is no replacement for displacement.”

Played a bunch of Neo Geo and SNES and PCE this past weekend, reminded me again that my main reason to be into this gear is to play the games!

I’ve claimed that I’m out of the CRT game a few times, that I’m satisfied… I think I’m at that point again.

Looking for some help on info about the following TV:

Sony HD CRT Trinitron KV-AR25M31

Someone is looking to get rid of one on local FB Marketplace. I’m located in the U.S., but my initial searches about this set seem to show it was originally sold in Oceania? It seems far fetched that it would end up in the Midwest USA. It’s tough to find any real specs on it, even looking at manuals posted on the web. From the listing, it appears there’s a DVI input on the back. So would it be 480p capable? Would it be a garbage EDTV? Maybe @D.Lo or @Peagles can shed some light???

EDIT: OH GEEZ, yes, I somehow missed the whole “HD” in the name of the set… so it’s not worth it, right?

It’s not worth it:(

To the best of my knowledge all Sony HD sets upscale to 1080i, add post processing and are known to be unreliable ontop of that

You’re right. I realized this as soon as I saw I missed those two key letters in the model number. I’m an idiot.

It is worth it for 480p content, possibly higher. Good for PS2, Wii, Original Xbox.

That’s the main thing. I’d rather not deal with 32 inch beast to get it, though. I’d love to have a 27 inch set capable of 480p.

I’d try to find a widescreen HD CRT imo. Most Wii games would support it, as well as a significant portion of the Xbox and PS2 library. Also if it does 720p it could even possibly be used with the 360 and PS3.

would be pretty cool w a snes or nes classic too i bet!

Not sure if PC monitors are OT for this thread but here’s a post of one I have my eye on for 480p. It’s sitting in the hallway on the college campus where I work. I’ve inquired about it and it turns out IT doing a large inventory check of everything we have, to be completed this summer. I told them NOT to toss it if they don’t want it.

http://www.ronford.net/ui/circuitcity/answeb/monitors/toshiba/mm20e45.html

You may be able to do some 240p gaming on that beast, though I’m not sure how you’ll interface with consoles. I’m very surprised by the range of resolutions, in any case it would make a very sweet PC monitor!