Games you didn't know existed

Maybe a dumb idea for a thread.

But past few days I have run into some “… what that exists?” moments.

First was Echoshift, a perhaps forgotten followup to Echochrome:

Now it’s White Knight Chronicles™: Origins, a PSP exclusive prequel to the flop smash hit PS3 game White Knight Chronicles

I have to imagine there will be more than just PSP games that get added here but for now there’s a bit of a trend.

1 Like

First thing that came to mind for me:

The Portal series was not the first game to explore the mechanics of portals as a first person puzzle game. Narbacular Drop was!

Narbacular Drop is an environmental puzzle video game developed by Nuclear Monkey Software. It was released for free online in 2005 for Microsoft Windows. It was the senior game project of students attending DigiPen Institute of Technology. The gameplay consists of navigating a dungeon using an innovative portal system. The player controls two interconnected portals that can be placed on any non-metallic surface (wall, ceiling, or floor). Gabe Newell, managing director of Valve, took interest in the team’s work and employed the whole staff at Valve. The developers went on to write the critically acclaimed Portal using many of the same concepts.

The word Narbacular , which does not exist in any dictionary, was chosen primarily to aid in internet search engine results.

I actually finished Narbacular Drop, and it even had a few mechanics that didn’t make it into the Portal games. It was very rough on the edges and almost like a tech demo of sorts, but it was a really fun game.

1 Like

Never heard of this one. Sounds cool.

1 Like

Didn’t realise Sony Computer Entertainment Japan funded this action RPG. Its developer, Gaia, was founded by the co-creator of Atlus’ Megami Tensei series.

They were also working on this game called Cosmic Walker for Nintendo:

1 Like