Games you didn't know existed

I miss when these companies would try to cover as many genres as they could :frowning:

Poco-8 you mean?

Yeah it would probably work pretty well, but the lower resolution of the pico-8 would mean some changes to the maps.

Yeah pico-8 is what I meant. Hm the resolution could be an issue true since pico-8 is just 128x128. I found some code for the second game if anyone was interested here: https://github.com/hyphz/crossroads-2-disassembly/blob/master/xroads2.asm

Haha I just realized I misspelled it too… whoops

That disassembly is by an old friend of mine!

1 Like

Here’s a video of both by one of my favourite YouTubers. Great comments too.

I’m going to need to play these!

3 Likes

Played them a bit on Vice 3DS (which has “gamebase” to download any C64 game straight into the emulator) and they’re really good. Found these two old articles:

1 Like

Wow that’s a blast from the past. IIRC it was free and quite good and easy points when we used to chase those things. I saw it on my purchase list when I reinstalled some things onto a 360.

1 Like

A few new 'uns while browsing the DSiWare selection today on the Japanese eShop:

Necromancer on PC Engine received a sequel for mobile phones: Necromancer 2

It was ported to DSiWare as Necromancer Nightmare Reborn

Intelligent Systems made a game called Panel Link: Three Part Rocket, but it was only released in Japan by the looks of things

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/kptj/index.html

Artepiazza self published a couple of games after releasing Opoona and those DS Dragon Quest remakes: Accel Knights and Accel Knights 2.

That last game is out in North America. It’s called Link ‘n’ Launch. And it’s great!

Oh whoops, if I knew this I wouldn’t have bought it from the Japanese eShop - now I don’t have enough Yen left to get Necromancer Nightmare Reborn.

Glad to hear it’s great, going to have a stab at it later today!

Just spent an hour on it, it’s great! Failed mission 4 though, I’m hoping with time my brain makes some of the rotation and flipping connections automatically.

The Divide: Enemies Within: A PS1/PC exploratory isometric platformer-shooter thing that was stated by the designer to be an attempt to make a metroid substitute for the PS1 (the item get fanfare even sound like it’s trying to be as close to Metroid’s as is legally permissible). The atmosphere is certainly intriguing!

2 Likes

Very cool vibe! Never heard of this one.

Had no idea Hudson Soft released a remake of Tengai Makyou: Ziria on Xbox 360. The original was one of the first PC Engine CD games to be released in the late 80s.

I looked into that a few years ago and remember thinking it looked awful.

It was also one of (many) games Victor Ireland had tried and failed to localize.

The visuals would have been a better fit for a Wii/PS2 game, it does look much better than the PS2/GC remake of the second game, mind!

I was vaguely aware of Namco’s Metal Marines, a SNES RTS thing, though I didn’t remember the name until yesterday…

… What I didn’t know until today, however, is that the game got a quite overhauled DOS adaptation by Mindscape the next years. It’s a fascinating display of the differing sensibilities between Japan & US developers during the decade.

1 Like

Been looking up DSiWare stuff that I missed out on and I didn’t realise Nintendo published an original pinball title from Fuse games (Metroid Prime Pinball, Super Mario Ball), called Pinball Pulse:

It’s still available to buy off the eShop, I’m going to pick it up at some point.

Also Grounding, Inc. made a game after Sakura Samurai called Nintendoji. It was released in 2013, making it one of the last DS games: