Games you didn't know existed

Kunio-tachi no Banka on Super Famicom.

Seems to be a pretty big departure for the series, but a very interesting one - more straight up brawler than mix of RPG and brawler as previous games were. Has anyone played it? Used copies on Yahoo Auctions seem to go for around 2000 yen (loose), pretty tempting…

I was shocked to find out blaster master had sequels on the Sega genesis and ps1. Too bad they both sucked.

It’s pretty good. Slow but fun. I have not played it in 25 years though.

1 Like

Knight Arms: The Hybrid Framer (lolwut), a moderatly impressive but low-framerate rail shooter native to the Sharp X68000

1 Like

Just learned about Sideline, a neat-looking Taiwan-mande DOS shmup with an interesting history

3 Likes

Never heard of it. I didn’t even remember if DOS games could sound like that or scroll that smoothly. It’s been a long time since I’ve owned a computer capable of playing DOS games.

This looks fun though and on par with what you’d expect from an early 16-bit console title or maybe something on PC Engine.

I’ll have to check this out, looks fun

Was looking into developer Noise after reading about Custom Robo on N64, didn’t realise they developed a game for Namco which only released in Europe: Go Go Cosmo Cops:

The Japanese release was cancelled apparently. They also developed the Katamari puzzler on DSiWare, which is based off an old arcade puzzler (I forget which), too bad it’s been delisted for some inexplicable reason.

2 Likes

Never realised there was a version of Montezuma’a revenge released on Atari VCS.

Looks pretty amazing for VCS! Now I want a copy!

Been looking for a decent priced colecovision copy for years too. I grew up playing the C64 version.

3 Likes

The 2600 version is a great port considering the hardware. It’s also the most rare and expensive version of the game, though.

both spider-man (dc/psx) and die hard trilogy saw sequels that escaped me for like decades

apparently the afro samurai game i enjoyed on 360 also got a short lived sequel that no one wants to talk about, with good reason

This was never released in the US, but it made it to Europe with a PAL release. I recently picked up a copy:

You can even play as Reiko Nagase of Ridge Racer fame!

2 Likes

There’s an MSX game called Sofia which got rereleased on the Switch in Japan under the same name, and the same developer(!) YMCAT:

Original: Sofia for MSX (1988) - MobyGames

New Switch release:

I’ve picked it up on Switch, will give it a shot at some point. The developer also remade/ported some other MSX titles to the Switch, as well as released a sequel to one of them (Dragon Crystal I think).

2 Likes

I was looking into ToyLogic’s history ( 制作実績 | 株式会社トイロジック公式サイト (toylogic.co.jp)) and somehow stumbled on a TMNT clone of Smash Bros. that Ubisoft commissioned Game Arts to make after Smash Bros Brawl. ToyLogic helped out on both games too!

According to the press release on its announcement, several Team Ninja staff helped out with the game.

This led me to look into the credits, and I ended up stumbling upon a completely unrelated game:

Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy - The Path of the Superhero

I won’t lie, I want to play this now:

1 Like