Great arcade games that have never been ported

I’d love to see Metamorphic Force arrive on modern consoles.

I think there’s a chance it will happen sometime in the future. Hamster has released lots of Konami games and I see no reason to skip this particular game.

They’d better make sure the Japanese version is included, because the inferior US version features health that decreases gradually over time.

3 Likes

Along with that terrible boss rush on stage 5 that was unbalanced as well and funny enough the US version is the only version that has that.

It’s weird that this game is different for JPN, EU and US. EU version seems like a weird combination of JPN and US as it features US health drain system but doesn’t have the boss rush just like the JPN version. EU version also doesn’t have the additional enemies on stage 1 which is what the US version had but not the JPN version which is random.

1 Like

Heh, I’m glad I’ve never played the US version for longer than a few minutes, so I haven’t even encountered the boss rush. Sounds awful.

Some of Konami’s arcade games have odd differences between versions. The Japanese version of The Simpsons is easier and has more features than the World version, Crime Fighters has automatically depleting health in the 4-player version but not in the 2-player version, and there are quite a few differences between each version of the X-Men beat 'em up, to give a few examples.

1 Like

I’ve not even MAIMed Metamorphic. I really should give it a crack though, looks fun and I do like me a B-Mup!

I would also like to point out, I love that the gif above has the “Dead soon” text above the character.
No pressure >:p

1 Like

Ha ha, yeah, Konami did similar things in other beat 'em ups, like the Crime Fighters games. A big sign would appear above a character’s head with the text “ABOUT TO DIE” to entice the player to insert more coins.

Yokai Reincarnation (1981)

I can’t say whether or not this is great, as it is kinda the Polybius of the Japanese arcade scene. People know of it, but:

• only one screenshot and written record/review
  • though developer’s website seems to have been found

From Famitsu - No. 113 (November 9th 1990)
#妖怪転生 #yokaireincarnation

2 Likes

Ooh, never heard of that one. Looks interesting!

Yeah I managed to 1CC the Japanese version of The Simpsons arcade game years ago, it was a no death run even. It seems many Konami arcade games have differences in regions for some reason.

1 Like

The Raizing games Armed Police Batrider and Battle Bakraid.

2 Likes

I wonder if we’ll be seeing ports of those games eventually. According to this article, M2 was working on Armed Police Batrider a few years ago:

1 Like

Well, whaddya know? The Astro City Mini V has just been announced, and it features Armed Police Batrider and Battle Bakraid!

Featured games:

Zaxxon
Action Fighter
Wrestle War
Desert Breaker
Raiden
Batsugun
Dogyuun
V-V / Grind Stormer
Same! Same! Same! / Fire Shark
Outzone
Tatsujin / Truxton
Tatsujin / Truxton II
Kingdom Grandprix
Armed Police Batrider
Battle Bakraid
Strikers 1945
Gunbird
Moon Cresta
Terra Cresta
Sengoku Ace
Cosmo Police Galivan
Sonic Wings

2 Likes

News of this thing is in 4 different threads. :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m guilty of posting half of those :sweat_smile:

Message board with lots of shoot 'em up enthusiasts + completely out of the blue announcement of mini arcade that features shoot 'em ups those same people have been yearning for = MASS HYSTERIA

Demon Front looks awesome, and it never got a console port as far as I know

1 Like

Why oh why has Taito never ported Dead Connection to consoles?

Such a cool game.

4 Likes

I don’t know if it’s “great”, but I’ve always wanted to play Ollie King, made by the same team that developed Jet Set Radio. I have no idea how well the skateboard would translate to a controller, but I’m sure they could figure something out.

3 Likes

Never knew this existed. Looks really cool.

2 Likes

Me neither! some DNA has definitely made it through from JSR

1 Like

Wow, that’s pretty interesting.

Very ambitious that’s for sure. I really wonder how the skateboard controller in the arcade felt and worked. I could imagine an ollie king designed skateboard controller would be rather unsafe in the home, but something along the lines of the wii balance board, could be a work around. Lots of broken balance boards in the future though.

Would love to see that arcade in action in real life to be honest.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting well over 10 years for this!

GAMSHARA is now playable in MAME :tada:

REVIEW

4 Likes