HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Don’t buy pads, they won’t last much. Go for the stick, or even the pro Controller are OK. Best solution is to mod a current arcade stick, but is expensive and hard to find good people that deals with NG parts.

One day I will buy an Unibios, but first they have to return selling that Neocd bios masta.

thanks guys! super potato in Osaka was the way to go - AES was $170! little dinged on the bottom but i appreciate character.

got a stock power unit & a boxed stick (!) for a bit more, debating a lazy finger adapter and some adapter for my USB arcade stick.

I’m being told on NG forums that RGB bypass is a good bet but unibios is tricky…ill ask my modder buddy when I’m back in town.

I’ve already got the SCART RGB cable & a few games, the big issue is there’s no way i have the $400+ for a Neo SD after this trip. are multicarts still ass? i read some now let you pick & choose the games, i wonder if one of those would be a good holdover.

2 Likes

If you can scare up $60 a month you can acquire a lot of the ones I mentioned one at a time.

1 Like

okay so i love Retro cables but she’s not getting back to me - any other good suppliers? again it’s a japanese AES, going into a SCART to component adapter…this one i have is for XRGB use and the colors are off

little worried about the lack of sound (current cable can plug in yjr front but I’m not hearing much), gonna just try headphones tonight to narrow things down!

Have you looked into Retrogamingcables? https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

1 Like

so i’m gonna order that cable (or retro, one morning when i catch her) but i’m starting to get a bit worried about my system…

a friend lent me his model 1 genny composite cable and for some reason, the pins didn’t fit/line up so i can’t test if it’s just the SCART i have here that’s messing up reds. what really sucks is that plugging in headphones in the front just gives feedback, i still can’t get sound from this thing! it’s past the point of returning to super potato, but they assured me it was tested. any ideas?

Could have sworn that Genesis Model 1 has a different connector than the Neo Geo (correct me if I’m wrong) so that’s not surprising.

How are you testing the headphone jack with no game? Edit: I see you do have a few games. Yea, sounds like the headphone jack needs to be repaired or you got a bad trace inside. I’m sure it’s an easy fix for a modder.

Janna Nation X could probably help you if you can’t find someone local. He’s my go to guy for Neo Geo hardware advice.

1 Like

I recently bought an HD Retrovision component cable for Genesis. I had to buy an extra extension to use it with the Neo Geo.

Check it out here. They have pix of the Genesis Model 1 and the Model 2 and the Neo pin outs.

https://www.hdretrovision.com/genesis

https://www.hdretrovision.com/neogeo

Be sure to try more than one cable with that headphone jack in case it’s a cable issue.

1 Like

might have to reach out, as my local guy isn’t comfortable doing the RGB bypass and i think that’d be worthwhile too…wonder what their rates are!

Garou Mark of the Wolves just got updated with rollback netcode. I just played 10 matches online on Vita and it was silky smooth. It’s crazy that in 2020 a Vita game got an online play update!

The other versions supposedly got patched, but I havent tried them yet. Still, this is awesome news!

1 Like

I really wish I didn’t suck at fighting games because this is just the type of update that would get me to buy the game. It’s such an amazing example of the genre too. It feels great to play.

Still got to cop that for those systems. I have it on 360.

So finally had time to sit down with my CMVS (and other things in general, havent been here in awhile), and the power light just blinks on then back off. Now its dead. Tried different power cables just in case, but it seems to either have given up the ghost or could it be something else? I’ve had it for a good few years with no issues, so I was really surprised when this happened. I’ve got light solder experience, but im not sure if this is something I could check to fix on my own or if it may be as simple as replacing something internally?

Sucks because i’ve also got Mutation Nation and Blazing Star on the way.

I’d start with a multi-metre and start checking your hand soldered connections that were a pert of the conversion. Get a cheap one on amazon if you don’t have one and just do connection tests.

It’s entirely likely that this is the culprit. Keep us informed and good luck.

Clint from LGR got into MVS collecting

1 Like

The Neo Geo turned 30 on April 26. The arcade unit was launched that day in 1990. To commemorate and just have fun with the system and games that I own, I streamed for about two and a half hours. I played mostly non-fighting games on all original hardware AES save for my conversion of Neo Turf Masters.

1 Like

Super Baseball 2020 is an under appreciated gem. The SNES port is pretty decent too despite missing a few animations here and there.

I forgot to post about this awhile back. My OG Phantom I converter stopped working right back in like late 2015, early 2016. Which sucked because all of my games except 1 are MVS carts. When I bought my NeoGeo I got the AES, Phantom I, and a bunch of MVS carts in a deal that would be stupid to pass up. So I found myself with no way to play my games and seemingly all the other converters out there were like 400 bucks, because Neo Geo.

I found out about Furrtek’s Fusion MVS converter probably around late 2016 to early 2017 and jumped on the wait list. Come late 2019 I’m still on the damn wait list and haven’t gotten the Fusion. So in November of last year with SAGs black friday sale I ordered the MVS to AES converter they had in stock at the time. I had heard of this one before, supposedly it was a rip off of Furrtek’s fusion converter but in a shell. Part of the reason I had held off was trying to support an OG creator. Then ofcourse Furrtek finally messaged me saying he had one he could finally ship out to me. So I bought both.

Now that I’ve had some time to play with both of them, the biggest difference I can tell (in my small pool of games) is that the one from SAG having a case around it makes it much nicer/easier to use. The Furrtek one works well, but IMHO I wish I had just said screw it earlier and bought the one from SAG. Not having a case was something that always bugged me with the Phantom I converter. Some times if some one started walking in the room it would seem to move the Phantom I just enough that the game would crash or reset or some other shit. It could also be a royal pain in the ass to line up right in the AES. I found both to be true for the Fusion one as well. Having this case around it makes it sit perfectly in the AES and the MVS cart sits perfectly in it, with it tight enough to not wiggle or move at all. It slots in perfectly every time, and that is a huge pro in its favor for me.

These are not my images but ones I grabbed off online, the furrtek one Fusion

and the one SAG now sells
s-l640

I own it! I think I own both tbh. I love that game but Baseball Stars 2 on Neo is the pinnacle of arcade baseball.

1 Like

I haven’t played that one yet. I’ll check it out.