Is the JVC TM-13U any good?

Also any good ways to test a CRT and calibrate it?

For testing, the 240p test suite is the most common tool via gaming consoles.
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite

Calibration is a different beast based on the set and issues that need to be resolved. Search online for the service manual for your model number.

Iā€™d also recommend reading through RetroRGB.com. Itā€™s a great resource with a lot of useful information.
https://www.retrorgb.com/

A lot of good info in the original post of the retro AV thread as well

2 Likes

It might be best to look at what consoles support natively, and decide from there. There are very few consoles that support Component natively, as it wasnā€™t really a thing until the Xbox and GameCube.

PS1: SCART
Genesis: SCART
SNES: SCART
PC Engine: SCART
Neo Geo AES: SCART
NES: Neither (Can be modded for either SCART, Component or both)
SMS: SCART
Saturn: SCART
N64: Neither (Can be modded for SCART)

Something to consider carefully though: if youā€™re wanting to go the SCART or Component route with all your consoles, be prepared to pay dearly for it.

You need:

1. SCART Switch, or Component switch (or both). An Extron Crosspoint switch will do both, but you need to spend money on breakout cables to convert everything to BNC connections.
  2. Mods for the consoles that need it, including installation costs if you cannot do the work yourself
  3. Cables to go from each console to the switch, including BNC breakout cables for each if you go the Extron route
  4. Cable(s) to go from the switch to the TV or converter
  5. If you use SCART, you need a converter to change SCART into component.

To set something up like this for sayā€¦ 10 consoles, be prepared to spend probably $1000+.

My setup is 13 different consoles with an Extron Crosspoint Matrix switch, Shinybow SB-2840 to convert SCART to Component, mods for all consoles that need it for RGB, and SCART/BNC breakouts for everything that doesnā€™t have native component. Component is only used for a few of the later consoles.

All told, I bet it cost about $1500 to get done, spread over several years of tinkering with it though.

3 Likes

SNES (unless itā€™s an SNES Jr) supports SCART out of the box. No mods necessary.

Also, with HD retro vision I think some of those now can basically be thought of as supporting component too. I know of Genesis and SNES specifically, but never looked into the others. Regardless, I donā€™t think itā€™s as available for the others as much as SCART is.

2 Likes

Ah youā€™re right, forgot about that thanks.

1 Like

Are there any alternative methods? I only have a PS1.

What consoles do you have in addition to the ones in this list?

Hooked up to my Extron I have:

NES - Component or SCART (Currently using Component)
SMS - SCART
TG16 - SCART
Genesis - SCART
SNES - SCART
Saturn - SCART
PS1 - SCART
N64 - SCART
Dreamcast - SCART
PS2 - Component
Gamecube - Component (not yet, actually. I have a spot for it, but havenā€™t bit the bullet on the component yet)
Xbox - Component
Wii - Component

All the others are either older and use Composite or RF, or newer and use HDMI.

There is a PS1 version, but you need a way to get it on there. Either by burning a disc if your PS1 is modded, or by using an ODE (Optical drive emulator)

My PS1 isnā€™t modded and it doesnā€™t have an ODE. Itā€™s also a PSone, so that makes modding it more difficult as many of the mods donā€™t work on it.

Iā€™ve heard that 6th generation consoles look better on HD TVs. Would you agree?

Honestly not sureā€¦ Iā€™ve never had them hooked up to anything HD.

They probably would, to be honestā€¦ But I only really game on my CRT and PC. I rarely play games on the main 4K TV upstairs.

Are there other methods besides the 240p test suite?

Yeah there are CRT calibration devices, but they arenā€™t cheap. Youā€™d be better off to get a console that you plan on getting anyway (NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES etc) and getting an everdrive for it.

I have used the PSone CD player screen to test geometry. Hereā€™s a picture:
external-content.duckduckgo.com
Do you think that this would work well?

Yeah thatā€™s pretty decent actually, would get you started in the service menu at least.

1 Like

Most people might disagree but after running all 3 on HDTVs for a decade+ (I have legit component cables for all 3 including GC) Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that they look best in 480i on a regular consumer level CRT TV.

PS2 is native 480i in many ways ā€“ most games do not even generate any sort of progressive image, and those that do usually do so with compromises, so thatā€™s an easy one to say run it on a CRT.

Xbox and GameCube do generate 480p framebuffers before outputting 480i but most games are designed around CRT TVs, from things like UI being meant for 4:3, to art assets looking better with some fine detail left to imagination, to even considering the a 720x480 image as something intended to be band limited by low TVL consumer CRTs with nice softening filters giving an anti-aliasing-like result. I wrote out a bit of a comparison last year of a best case scenario of 480p CRT vs 480i CRT and meant to make a better argument but yeah take it for what it is.

2 Likes

The seller of this TV that I am planning on buying had a PSone and was nice enough to send a video of the CD player screen. Here it is. THIS LINK DOWNLOADS THE VIDEO SO DONā€™T CLICK IT IF YOU DONā€™T WANT TO DOWNLOAD IT.
https://video-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.3356-2/10000000_6004488639624378_4086694344386113287_n.mp4/video-1630436373.mp4?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=060d78&_nc_ohc=Rryat1v0Ef4AX-MjqLs&vabr=2332035&_nc_ht=video-sea1-1.xx&oh=c3bc95595e004967568ee7c77b6fe0b5&oe=6131404F&dl=1

I have this exact screen in 24". That geometry looks fine for a flat tube. It looks like there could be some keystoning but that could be the camera. The only issue with mine is that it has a jittery picture with SNES and NES. Thatā€™s probably a capacitor issue, and not a widespread problem. It works great with other consoles like Wii and Genesis.

I donā€™t mean to muddy the water too much but have you heard about/considered the MiSTer?

I am using it now and I honestly havenā€™t turned on my Genesis or SNES in months. It is also how I got into PC Engine. Master System, and Neo Geo.

If cost is an issue (it doesnā€™t seem to be a major one but hey $800-1000 in mods and cables is a lot of scratch!), the MiSTer could effectively replace 5-6 of your consoles. If you want to play your cart collection or are dedicated to OG hardware though then the top-tier answer is to do like @raskulous said and go for the mods and a SCART setup.

I would rather use original hardware.
If Iā€™m correct, keystoning is rather easy to fix. With my Trinitron, I can fix it in the service menu.