Nintendo of Europe certifies new Wii game for release in 2020

Presumably originally planned for the now-legacy WiiWare platform, Retro City Rampage sequel Shakedown Hawaii is instead headed to Wii on disc later this year! Shakedown: Hawaii - Coming to Wii and Wii U | Vblank Entertainment Inc.

I love hearing about developments like this. Apparently Nintendo of America weren’t able to get the game certified but Nintendo of Europe were - but the game is receiving an NTSC Wii U port.

The Wii version supports both 50hz and 60hz, and both NTSC and PAL output. It supports the Wii Remote (with shake!) , Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro, and GameCube Controller. I took special care to ensure it parallels the experience of the more powerful platforms, and further optimized it to fit entirely into the Wii system memory. This means that you won’t experience any disc load times during gameplay. Once the game boots, you’re in!

14 years after it’s initial release, the Wii is still viable!

1 Like

I forgot Just Dance 2020 released on Wii in all three major territories toward the end of last year: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/wii/266086-just-dance-2020/images

With Nintendo of America refusing to certify VBlank’s game I wonder if that’s the last release we’ll see from a major publisher, or whether Ubisoft will just release 2021 in Europe and Japan if they are working on a Wii version still.

I have to applaud the crazy skills/obsession of this dev.

Oh they won’t certify Wii?
Then I’ll port it to Wii U!

Hats off.

I didn’t think I wanted to buy a brand new Wii game in 2020 but here we are

Ha, will buy just for the laffs.

NOA should certify the game. I think it’s cool

I read it as they no longer have the processes/capability to do so.

Or maybe it is “cna’t be bothered retraining people for one game”

2020 continues to amaze.

The idea that someone with a time machine keeps “fixing” things, with increasingly catastrophic consequences seems more plausible.

“what if we release a wii game?”

2 Likes

Now on sale!

The latest Nintendo Direct has confirmed Just Dance is only heading to Switch this year, so Shakedown Hawaii and Retro City Rampage are the last Wii games to be certified and printed to disc!

1 Like