Nintendo Switch Homebrew and Emulation Thread of DO NOT USE HOMEBREW ON THE SWITCH, YOU WILL GET BANNED

This really could be the ultimate emulation machine,especially if they ever get the more advanced shaders working. I like how the architecture is locked in so it can be tweaked to perfection.

Oh,and Nintendo needs to release a Joycon with a legit D-pad first before I consider hacking mine.

I defiantly love it for the future of playing older games but am kinda mixed on how easy and open it is right now. The damage piracy can do when it is this easy is a shame, and this is coming from a person that generally dosen’t mind piracy.

Sup.

Out next month. Ive got one on preorder.

I mean it sounds like Nintendo actually has a solid solution this time, so I’m not worried. I think the bigger concern is cheaters and hackers within legit purchased MP games.

Eh. Their solid solution making it harder for legitimate second hand purchases while doing nothing to really hinder people that just pirate outright doesn’t seem that solid to me. And yes, a big concern is online cheaters and is one of the reasons why I wish this stuff wasn’t so increasingly easy and hard to stop, even if I like that it exists. I hope some new hardware revision is coming.

1 Like

Oh yeah keeping it offline solves that. True that.

The only problem I can see with Nintendo’s solution this time around is what if you buy a used cart and you don’t know that it’s title ID has been dumped/cloned?

I hear cheaters are really starting to fuck up splatoon 2 though. Nintendo needs to prevent this.

I wonder when people will start cheating on Fortnite…

WARNING:

DO NOT USE HOMEBREW ON THE SWITCH!

yeah, you read that right. Nintendo are account and console banning everyone who has had an error reported on their system log via homebrew, layeredfs, sx os. Even if your console is in flight mode, even if you have error reporting turned OFF. Even if you just backup a save. They’re going all out.

In any case, I haven’t been banned yet. If I do get banned, I’ll be buying another switch and giving Nintendo a call (I’d ask Sold my console a few weeks back, forgot to link NNID can it be unlinked for my new console?)

so yeah. best homebrew device ever, potentially - but sadly not if you want to play legit games too. sigh

I will always be a defender of homebrew but I also absolutely understand why Nintendo has to do this. In the past their online games have been ruined by hackers and it looks like the switch is already there.

I bought a second switch at launch for the inevitable homebrew scene and I do hope we get things like translations, rom hacks and patches but I’ll be fine if it just becomes a cool little portable linux machine.

Oh yeah, I get it too. But damn they’ve gone all in

If this console gets banned then eh…I’ll get another I guess and keep this as a neat homebrew machine. I tried out the newest build of retroarch cores and they all ran flawlessly with no framedrops and sound, and 3x scaling to 720p means they all look fantastic

Its also amazing for GBA titles too.

Okay so here’s my situation. I have a Switch and 100% would like to mod it at some point, but have some retail games I want to play through first.

Am I correct in assuming that since this is obviously an older hardware revision I can play and update and all that jazz, and in the future just buy a new, revised Switch, transfer my account, and then still hack my old one? Firmware will never be an issue correct?

Or should I be leaving this old one sealed and not updated?

that’s correct.

no matter what the firmware revision is, every currently available switch is flawed at a boot process level and there’s no way to patch it. The next revision of the hardware will not have this vulnerability.

I’d recommend keeping it, using it as normal but avoiding homebrew. In the future buy a new revision, transfer and use the old one as a homebrew/retro emulation machine.

Edit: the above is what I’m doing. I haven’t been banned yet, and I’m hopeful I’ll be fine. (I hope). Not risking using homebrew again though.

Excellent. That’s the gameplan then!

I’m not the most up to date on this stuff but I’m just browsing through GBATemp right now and I’ve seen it posted several times that “1.00 is the holy grail” which is the fw my spare switch is on :heart_eyes:

I’ll have to check mine when I open it.

what does 1.00 do that updated switches can not?

It looks like they are working on a method to permanently hack the 1.00 consoles so you won’t need to use the jig/dongle Everytime you reboot

Luckily, there’s still lakka!

Now that the battery sync issue with Linux is fixed, this is the best way to play retro titles. And it has absolutely zero chance of a ban as it’s loaded at boot instead of the Switch OS.

Sound will be implemented in the next update apparently. And yeah, N64, PSX and PSP all run full speed.

I think Lakka is the route I’ll be taking since it should provide the best performance but I’ll wait untill all the kinks are ironed out.