Nintendo Wii Appreciation/Collectors Thread

What’s the 480i fix?

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2890/~/display-problems-while-playing-virtual-console-games

What to Do:

1. Set the Wii console to output 480 lines of video. Switch between “i” and “p” to see if it resolves the issue.
  2. While on the Wii Channel Menu (main screen of the Wii), connect a Nunchuk to the Wii Remote.
  3. Select the Virtual Console game from the Wii menu, then select “Start” to begin the game.
  4. When the game starts, press the Home button on the Wii Remote. (In many games, the music can be heard when the game starts.)
  5. Select “Operations Guide” from the Home menu.
  6. Press the Z + A + 2 Button simultaneously (the Z Button is on the Nunchuk). A sound will be heard if the button combination has been entered correctly.
  7. Close the Home menu. The game display should now be correct.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t work for all games if I recall correctly.

Yes, I think you’re correct about that.

Here’s a spreadsheet list of 240p Wii VC games:

I still regret doing a Wii system transfer to my Wii U on launch day before anyone knew how Wii mode would work. It’s better today, but still has some annoying quirks like forcing 50hz through a component cable if a game happens to support both modes. Which is practically almost all Wii games. It even does it with Gradius II on PC Engine!

Ah. Thanks but that’s just how you set the VC to output 240p. Each individual game has to support it however. There’s a lot of PCE games that do not. I thought Eccles had a hack or a fix for those.

Ah, yes, I think he means this:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1261466#p1261466
(from http://retrorgb.com/wiivsclassic.html )

Basically you replace the emulator inside the VC game with a newer version that supports 240p.

Hmmm thanks for that thread. I hadn’t seen that. It’s basically rom injection looks like. That might help me to finally extract the Air Zonk rom I was never able to extract through other means (along with a few other VC roms). Will have to give it a try some time.

I can get it to work with various PCE titles which run interlaced, but I can’t get a stable w*d with an id number different to the donor.

Basically I can have Bomberman '94 or Gradius 1 (Japanese pce release) installed at a time.

Does the ShowMiiWAD allow you to change the ID?

I’m currently trying to get Japanese games I bought on my Wii U installed on my older Wii. I’m just getting a black screen on launch. Feel Kim like I’m in the dark on this (pun intended!) :joy:

I also regret doing the Wii to Wii U transfer, but that’s the benefit of hindsight. I’m sure I can solve it but I’m trying to remember/recall all the knowledge I had to hand 10 years ago.

That’s my problem too, only I can’t get the wad to install in the first place.

Showmii changing the id stuffs up the install somehow.
I didn’t try every parameter possible though.

I was happy to get a stable inject of Gradius 1, and play in 240p. Further tinkering than that is just a self proscribed impediment to play time.

If I find a way to get multiple out of region games, injected into the new container, with their original id, I’ll post in here.

1 Like

Same, it’s a deal

I’ve had some success today. You might want to look into:

1. Wii: SysCheck, export CSV to SD
  2. PC: ModMii, import CSV from 1
  3. Update all your IOS by installing all the WADs from 2

This increased compatibility for me. But still a couple of my games would black screen.

So now I launch them through Mighty Channels forcing 480p and Smart Video Patching and all is well.

I’ll see which PCE games I have and set if I can help you with that in more detail

Great stuff.

I haven’t come across mighty channels before. I’ll check it out.

Thanks

Yes, Mighty Channels seems to have been forgotten about in favour of other more feature-rich loaders, but for me it’s got a very Apple/Nintendo feel. Very well designed, just enough and not too much. There’s also a Mighty Loader for loading from USB.

I just tried this, using the tutorial above, and the final step 6 is where you give the repacked donor game the ID of the new/correct game. The Wii expects the 4-character ID of each channel to be unique. If you don’t change this from your donor ID to your new ID then one will overwrite the other on install.

I managed to use my Bomberman '94 to get my Gradius to work in 240p.

You and be both :frowning:

While there were definitely benefits to keeping the old fridge and not moving to the new one, I am happy to have everything on Wii U if only because I really don’t have to keep a Wii hooked up anymore if I don’t want to or can’t.

January 31 is the end of the line for the store for anyone still sitting on points. I need to spend mine soon. I guess Konami is not going to bring the ReBirth games to Switch so I’m going to have to blow some points on at least Castlevania and maybe Contra too.

Every year or so I check to see if someone got MM9/10 working in 240p and I come back dissapointed. One day I’ll just play them in dolphin @240p

Yea… You and me both dude. I have a curio and am waiting on some cables. But I think I can rig it up so the PS3 or Switch versions of the games are doenscaled to 240p.

I’d much rather force it natively though to reduce lag.