Nintendo Wii Appreciation/Collectors Thread

Aye, with component my TV lets me change the aspect ratio (HDMI it doesn’t), but the Wii U forces any game that supports 50hz into 50hz when connected via component which is super annoying.

Woof. 50hz in the HD era.

Who was it that mentioned Opoona? I started in last night and have a few questions. Oddly searching for Opoona gives zero results.

Err so if I’m reading this right I think Extrems has discovered why Wii 480p looks a bit soft and may have fixed it?

before and after

Also, there’s some more talk in that thread about how a 4-layer board doesn’t quite guarantee you the best output and perhaps the BU99 AVE-Chip is what you’d need to be looking out for.

2 Likes

Wow. Big news. I expect a flurry of Wii homebrew update activity.

I wonder if this is patchable in all games using a universal cheat code? I have a hunch that should be possible.

(Click the image above to see the real deal at 100%)

2 Likes

I hope so, something easy so you don’t need to patch each individual iso. Hopefully launchers like Nintendont can just implement it as an ‘auto-patch’ feature from their settings menu.

#Drama

So it turns out this fix is in a fork of the original/main code, and the owner of the original code - the one that most homebrew uses - doesn’t speak to the guy who found this fix. So it’s unlikely we’ll see the benefits of this widely because two people, who have probably never met in real life, had a disagreement online a handful of years ago.

Sigh.

Can you please give more info on this? So is there a fork of the HBC or specific application that could remove a filter on the 480p output on all Wiis?

I don’t really see the blurriness some people complain about with Wii. It’s pretty sharp on my CRT via component at 480p/240p. No different than other systems using lossless formats.

I may have just won the lottery if good vs bad models though. My Wii outputs a scary-good image akin to a Genesis or Saturn or GCN.

For comparison, my non-1chip SNES is far softer/blurrier. And even that is pretty much acceptable, although not ideal.

Sometimes I wonder if some players got a bad impression from the PAL 480p/60 version of Twilight Princess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGur78ahkl4

For some reason Nintendo added a blur filter(?) on top of the image.

There’s not much to see or do right now.

Bullet points

• reason for soft 480p mode output discovered
  • Fix gives sharper 480p image
  • both by Extrems, author of Not64 emulator
  • Fix is only in Not64 and emGBA so far
  • Fix in Extrems unofficial version of libogc
  • BUT most homebrew uses the official libogc
  • Scene drama means this will roll out slowly

I’ll keep an eye on this to see if it becomes a wider fix

Update:

• fix has been sent to official libogc but is yet to be merged (so fix not yet available to homebrew)
    * somebody working on a fix for all Wii software that will be installed into the system to apply the fix globally! not accurate

Also, I just read there’s a VGA hard mod!

I tried that VGA mod a couple of months ago but couldn’t get it to work :confused:

Great news about the fixes!

The output may be sharper in a way, but the Gamecube still kills it judging by the comparisons there.

I’ve been playing Wave Race 64 using Not64 the emulator on Wii that already has this 480p fix in it.

Whilst it’s not night and day, and I’m looking at N64 output being upscaled to Wii 480p, there is a difference. Which is good news.

Looks like the same type of extra AA applied to N64 games leading to the blurry look. It’s very odd that they did this.

pal twilight princess still has the flicker (copy) filter enabled even when in progressive. below is a good write up on it and speculation as to why it was still in the pal version.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for sharing this! I had no idea that it was the deflicker copy filter causing the blurry visuals, and I’d completely forgot that it was an option programmed into some GC games at the user level. Fascinating.

Cheat code for Mario Kart Wii to implement this 480p fix

http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/User:Leseratte#480p_graphics_fix

And reports that Wii RVL-CPU-40+ don’t have this problem.

Thanks for this! Is there a list of all games which were affected by this SDK bug? I remember MKWii having a soft image but I always thought it was down to the additional bloom lighting added on top.

I’m hoping Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz wasn’t affected - that always looked sharper than other games to me via component.