OG Xbox Appreciation: Life is Short, Play More (Across Three Generations of Xbox)

I actually just went down this rabbit hole myself - you have a few options.

Soft mod

This is exclusive of a new HDD (going to assume you have access to one) and a low capacity USB stick for installing the softmod. This is a great solution but my understanding is it can be a little bit painful installing the larger HDD software-wise but once you have it set up you can just forget about it.

Hard mod

The other option if youā€™re handy with a soldering iron is to pick up an Aladdin XT mod chip (also available here) and depending on your console revision (if itā€™s a 1.6 like mine) you might want to grab an LPC rebuild board to make the installation easier.

I canā€™t comment on the success with the mod chips as Iā€™ve ordered two (one from Amazon that apparently got lost in transit) and one from that first link. Neither have arrived yet though.

Component cables

This is where it gets messy - the official HD AV Pack has become quite expensive at this point ($60-$80 on eBay) and third party cables are complete garbage - but fear not you have two options!

1. XOVSP a open source alternative to the official cable (also available here) $35 USD
  2. Build your own with a cheap OEM Xbox 360 component cable and a cheap third party OG Xbox component cable.

Anyway - component cables aside whichever way you go itā€™s a pretty dirt cheap console to mod!

I hope that helped!

2 Likes

I posted about some Intec Xbox component cables that were fairly affordable ($20) a while back, I still use them and they are great.

This Open Source AV pack looks killer though, will probably grab one as soon as circumstances allow.

1 Like

I set up the og xbox last night for some RalliSport Challenge 2 action, still fun as always.

I also played some X-Men Legends, which actually looks decent in 720p. The assets arenā€™t great, but I kind of like the cel-ish shading graphics.

Perhaps Iā€™ll finally play KOTOR and Jade Empire, lol. Iā€™ve played each for a couple hours but nothing significant, and that was 15 years ago.

1 Like

Found this on reddit.

8 Likes

Amazing! The only change should be the mech on the lower board firing a bit more left to more accurately represent the clock capacitor location exploding.

In other news, anyone know the background on Richard Burns Rally never coming out on xbox? It was slated to, but never panned out. I donā€™t recall the exact timing; may have been related to his passing. I loved that game on PC. I still have the disc but the last time I tried setting it up I was having force feedback issues with my wheel setup.

Umm. It did come out on Xbox?

Loads on eBay.

Richard Burns Rally (Xbox) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00007KIMD/

Thanks for the detailed breakdown, Iā€™ll keep an eye out for a good component cable for a good price otherwise it might be a bit too much effort for the few games Iā€™d want to play (Amped 2/Timesplitters).

1 Like

Interesting. Itā€™s for sale and has reviews, but metacritic says it was canceled. Maybe Iā€™m mis-remembering and it only came out in Europe and not in NA.

LOL

As for the 3rd party ones, there is a Monster component cable thatā€™s available too, and the picture looks identical to the official one on my TV.

I have both, and ended up using the monster one due to the length of the thing, so I have a spare factory model that I would sell for $50 CAD plus shipping.

HDMI out for OG Xbox using a ā€œWii2HDMIā€ adapter

Plugged in my original softmodded Xbox for the first time in ages. Was greeted by a massive whirring noise that I believe comes from the fan. Console kept booting to the original dashboard and kept flashing green, orange and red lights. After about 5 restarts it suddenly booted up the UnleashX menu and everything was fine besides the disturbing noise. Disc tray opens up every second time without help but I found a fix for that that Iā€™ll try. Played some Outrun C2C, DOA3, DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball and PGR and the games look so good on this.

How hard would it be to change the fan for someone that isnā€™t handy and where should I be looking for a replacement? CPU temperature was 65-70C and M/B 56C after it had been on for a couple of hours if it helps anything. Watched a video about ā€œNexus 70mm Real Silent Case Fanā€ and it seemed to be good and a pretty easy job but Iā€™m in Europe and I canā€™t get it shipped here (at least now) from Amazon.com. Are there any similar products available?

Could it also be the CPU fan that is keeping the noise as I saw some video which had a pretty similar sounding noise? Iā€™m so lost with all the different model numbers and what is inside them. I believe mine is 1.1 based on the settings screen with a Samsung drive but Iā€™ve bought it used years ago and have no idea how well it has been kept. Any help is really appreciated.

Take a look, they rate it moderate. I think easy enough.

Itā€™s just a fairly straight disassemble and unplug the fan.

Thanks for that, was only looking for videos earlier but thatā€™s better.

Been doing some more research and it was actually a GPU fan (thatā€™s only on 1.0 Xboxes?) that was making similar noise in one Youtube video. I think I just have to be brave and open it up tomorrow. Maybe this one really is 1.0 and not 1.1. Iā€™ve also read some people say that the GPU fan is basically not needed and people have been using their Xbox without problems after taking it off. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Alright, this was stupid. Previous owner had changed the fan already but the sticker on it had gotten loose and was between the blades. Itā€™s dead silent now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good result! Hassle free.

Maybe a dumb question but has anyone tried to softmod a JP xbox?

Considering buying a transparent black or kasumi blue xbox from Japan.

Everything Iā€™m finding online suggests youā€™d need a non-JP asian ntsc-j copy of splinter cell or mechwarrior, which seems very difficult to get.

Is there a newer alternative Iā€™m missing? Iā€™m open to just installing a modchip as Iā€™d likely need to deal with capacitor business anyway but Iā€™d prefer to avoid unnecessary hardware mods.

@Borman not sure if you are the same borman from assembler games, but a few years back that borman sold someone a xbox debug kit with a version of steel battalion on it. the guys over at reddit.com/r/steelbattaliononline have been searching for it since like 2015 with the intent of unlocking some online features that dont work anymore due to xbox live not existing for the og xbox. Wondering if you have any contact informaton on the guy you sold it to.

Iā€™m well aware that they are looking, they track me down on every platform. Same answer though, donā€™t know who has it now.

lol gotcha sorry, thanks for answering