gonna borrow a bit from my man Seik here:
Japan: November 27, 1998
North America: September 9, 1999
Europe: October 14, 1999
Australia: November 30, 1999
-4 controller ports for awesome multiplayer action.
-The VMU, the Dreamcast’s official memory card equipped with a screen, D-pad and buttons.
-Outputs a outstanding resolution and beautiful image quality for its time when equipped with a VGA box. (640x480)
-Contains massive doses of hype, its just all over it. Just look how fucking beautiful the thing is.
-Uses GD-ROM format for its game discs, these can contain up to 1.2Gb and these are a unique kind of disc that are only usable on a Dreamcast.
-Loads of arcade-ish awesome games, many games running at 60FPS.
The DC remains one of gaming’s biggest tragedies: Sega (of America or Japan, there’s entire discussions to be had here) really screwed things up with the Saturn despite what a lovely system that was, and put everything they had into this last-ditch effort at a home console. In just about 2 short years, they managed so very much:
- Fully transitioning the best aspects of arcade gameplay to home consoles
- First real go at online integration (I literally missed a midterm in college cause of PSO…)
- Allowing Yu Suzuki & team to continue their decades-long efforts at iconic simulations & take that to an entire world via Shenmue 1 & 2
- Innovate at every corner, from VMU’s to broadband adapters and beyond
- A huge US release on 9/9/99 with a launch lineup still yet to be topped
- i swear to god shit was crazy man like they had a whole segment on MTV about Space Channel 5
They were clearly firing on all cylinders & putting out some of their finest work ever, despite heavy hitters (konami, square, EA etc) entirely abandoning them. Capcom held it down with arguably their finest output in a single generation, but let’s not forget:
- Rez (still a top 10 game for me)
- Jet Grind Radio - a game so fantastic, it had an HD release that a lot of modern gamers didn’t even like
- Skies of Arcadia - one of the finest RPG’s out there, just great lighthearted fun
- Chu Chu Rocket - another great puzzle game to end friendships…and online too!
- Crazy Taxi - YAH YAH YAH YAH YAHHHHHH
- Dynamite Cop - the world needs more Die Hard
- Soul Calibur - I mean, i thought Tekken 3 stepped things up, then this happened. I’ve run through story mode just unlocking things too many times in my life
- Giga Wang - this library (especially postmortem) has a slew of fantastic SHMUPs: Mars Matrix, Ikaruga, Radirgy, Stormwind, Under Defeat etc
- Typing of The Dead - i will never understand why this isn’t in every word processing classroom
- Phantasy Star Online - I was in a clan. i bought a keyboard for this game.
- Samba de Amigo - so great, and you played it with MARACAS how dope is that
- Sword of the Berserk - i think i played this before even watching the anime/reading the manga/crying
- Spider-Man - like Soul Reaver & so many other PSX games, it was better here
- Record of Lodoss War - the best non-diablo Diablo
- Space Channel 5 - SUCK IT PARAPPA but yeah we never got the sequel over here
i could go on & on & on here (Zombie Revenge, Toy Commander, Virtual On etc) but yeah, we had the best Resident Evils.
some great resources:
more to come, Seik is way better with Null_DC/emulation stuff, i’m just here to celebrate this masterpiece & remind anyone who thinks that DVD would’ve saved it how very wrong they are