Palm OS [OT] where handheld gaming is serious business

Columns for CLIÉ

This is a unique port of the game as the title suggests.

Reprogrammed by SEGA’s Smilebit division (of Jet Set Radio fame) and bundled with a Sony game controller accessory for a Sony handheld computer and not available to purchase separately. What a crazy little thing.

There’s also Super Columns (all the SEGA Classics games are Game Gear emulations) but they only run on specific Palm devices (Zire?) which I don’t have.

Anyway, Columns for CLIÉ plays well enough with the controller accessory. No configuration needed within the game. I’m not a huge fan of Columns so it’s a bit wasted on me. It can also be played using hardware buttons, how well that works depends on whether your device has a sensible layout. It can’t be played with the stylus/touch.

It looks lovely though, running at CLIÉ “high resolution” of 320x320 in 8-bit colour (some games support 16-bit colour). The image in the OP doesn’t lie, on all three of my CLIÉ devices (SJ22, TJ35, TH55) it looks gorgeous.

The only odd thing is I can’t get any sound out of it, despite it having sound volume settings. Weird.

D3JoGSMXcAA7hzS D3JoL_UU0AA03Su

1 Like