PASOKON: old Japanese computers (MSX, PC-98, X68000, etc)

PC-88 Sorcerian is basically my childhood. It’s one of my favorite games of all time. I understand what you’re saying about the scrolling, but I don’t think it’s that bad. MSX computers also have scrolling issues. You’re totally way off about the games being terrible otherwise though.

As far as the NES being able to deliver hardware scrolling for cheaper, well, it just didn’t have the same requirements. Japanese computers needed to be able to display kanji, which meant twice the horizontal resolution of similar English computers (640x200 instead of 320x200). They’re computers first, gaming was a secondary concern.

There’s lots of games for PC88 and PC98 that don’t require any scrolling at all, including the well-regarded Snatcher.

Following up on this, they posted some example photos of how it could be used with standard PC cases.

Can this run other cores than MSX? Because that thin case looks like it would fit my setup.

That looks nice.

I don’t understand how the external cartridge connectors would work though. What I’m imagining in my head looks really awful.

I finished Children of the Night, and it was really, really good. No joke, I think it’s one of the best MSX games out there. I’m really glad I got it. It’s structured a lot like Zelda or Neutopia, but it’s got RPG elements and some really cool powers.

The game was also made for Colecovision in the past, so if anybody would like to experience it there instead, I highly recommend it.

Looks pretty cool.

Tonight I finished playing through all the T&E golf games on PC-98. Phew!

I recorded the music :

Anybody with PC-98 hardware and some time on their hands, the developer of DOSBOX-X is looking for testing help.

Hi. I’m back after a bit of an absence. How is everyone? Glad to see a Japanese PC thread started. Love my MSX2 that I bought from a friend, I have a HB F1XD-Mk2 with Megaflashrom/SCC and FMPAQ cart. Only thing is it seems one of my controller ports is malfunctioning and I’m not brave enough to open it up to fix it. It happened after I bought one of the SNES to MSX joystick adapters, so I hope I didn’t fry it by accident :frowning:

1 Like

Must watch.

Short film made predominately on MSX.

1 Like

Lots of cool stuff happening in the MSX scene lately. Two new games came out, one is a Metal Gear style game, and the other is a new puzzle platforming game by the creator of Children of the Night, which I posted about last year.

It’s so cool these games keep coming out. Love the box art on that second photo.

Hello again. It’s been a long time. I’ve been out of the game really, but wanted to post. My MSX is not in good shape :frowning: I tried to redo the solder joints on port A and it is still malfunctioning, so next step is to go buy a new port for it and see if it works then. If not… I’m not sure what I’m going to do. At least the arrow keys still work I guess.

Otherwise, a couple of days ago I just put in an order for this

https://www.amusement-center.com/project/egg/special/package_sorceriancomplete/

I’m looking forward to getting it, it should be pretty neat.

1 Like

With the cycle-accurate 68000 core in MiSTer, how reasonable is it to assume we will see a X68000 FPGA core? Does the X68k have a lot of custom/unknown hardware that would make it an issue?

It’s a work in progress already https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/X68000_MiSTer

Maybe sorgelig will come back to it?

Akihabara Shopping Guide Map. 1983.

Click to zoom (4114x3050px) 12.5 megapixels

from POPCOM issue 1983-05

Jumping in to share some of my Japanese PC stuff since I mostly share this in discord and never noticed this thread before. It’s been, for better or worse, my main obsession for a few years now.

6 Likes

The main CPU and sound chips on the X68000 seem pretty common but the graphics system is a custom made chipset so it’s possible that might be a bottleneck for an FPGA implementation depending on how much documentation is available. Sharp released the BIOS and OS to the public domain though so at least that side of things should be straight forward.

Nice to see another person with Children of the Night. That was a great game.

1 Like

Wow, those are beautiful!