PC Mini Classic

Nah. College for me.

In HS I totally kept to myself and didn’t hang with
enough people to even get exposed to it. Played some great video games though. :joy:

Neither… I have had edibles a couple times, but never smoked.

I was too busy playing basketball and vidya.

so like
can i play planescape and deus ex here or should i just expect willie beamish and minser 2049er

Now, this thing needs to come with an awesome retro mouse with THREE buttons. I remember when I got one back in the day, and all the Sierra VGA point and click games supported it. Left click was your “use” button, right click cycled through the available actions, and the middle button jumped between the last two. So you could swap quickly between “Walk” and “Look” or “Look” and “Use”.

1 Like

Colour me interested too. Shame there won’t be a way to add your own games based on the FAQ anyway.

I had no idea there were so many former hippies on this board. Does your collection smell like Patchuli?

I tell you what needs to happen: GOG stealing this idea.

They already have relationships with publishes/rights-holders. They have more resources in general. They have experience with custom DOSbox configs, and they have a large fanbase (in comparison).

It could basically be a retro steam box. Modest Pentium-grade CPU/low-end laptop specs, online store access, sweet retro aesthetic, maybe a few different models (call one a 487, another Premium 1, Premium 3, etc.). Price it around $150-250 depending on model. It could be a fun brand-expanding move for them that could move a few units.

1 Like

Other than price I’m totally down with that.

Pc is the biggest gap in my collection. I somehow kept nothing over the years. :disappointed_relieved:

Knowing myself, I’d probably not be satisfied without having a different authentic rig for every generation of PC games.

Maybe someday I’ll have the space for something crazy like that. But probably not.

So something plug and play with good VGA or SCART output may be the best option.

Yeah trying to get computers running games from different eras can be difficult, you tend to end up with like four or five different machines, tweaking them again and again. Better to get the games you want to play and build a pc or two around the specs needed. Even though the PC is technically backwards compatible, you can’t get an all-in-one solution that will run everything natively.

Could there not be “one SD card” per setup?

The problem isn’t the OS, it’s the processor speeds and device compatibility.

Some games run too fast with a faster CPU, some games crash with a faster CPU, some games have features missing or glitches.

You can slow down some CPUs to effectively simulate a slow CPU but it’s often a bios tweak. For one of my system’s CPU there’s a dos exe someone made to turn off cache and reduce the cpu multiplier which makes that easier.

Then you get into sound. For full compatibility you need ISA for DOS which is only available up to Pentium 3, but you’re better off with a PCI card for Windows especially with more features, but PCI cards aren’t fully compatible with DOS due to needing a driver to work there; most games will work but ones that use a lot of conventional memory will fail and some will just have sound issues. Many games work best with an MT-32, which ideally needs an ISA MPU interface, or a General MIDI setup.

For graphics, newer graphics cards tend to have glitches with older and weirder DOS graphics modes, some games work best with 3DFX voodoo cards which are pretty expensive nowadays, and probably other things I’m not thinking of.

I have two PCs that between them can cover mid-80s to mid-2000s with two Win98 SD cards, one of which I mostly use for DOS, and a WinXP SD card. You can make some compromises and get that down to one pretty easily but if you want real hardware that will run anything you throw at it it’s a bit of a trip.

That has brought back a lot of frightening memories

I always did want to make a budget older PC based around a Pentium 3 and call it the N15…

This looks so cool. What was it like to play on these controllers? Did a lot of games support them?

It feels like early PC gaming is the wild west in terms of peripherals and support and all sorts of stuff. I’ve always be fascinated by it, but never felt like I had a grasp on what the scene was really like.

Actually the inputs were standardised early as every controller had to be plugged into the same connector, that allowed at most four analogue axes and four buttons. There were a few non-standard joysticks that needed a custom driver, but they were only supported in very few select games. Most notably flight sims.

As for which games supported a standard joystick, it depended on the game, you had to read the box to know if you could use your controller or had to play with the keyboard. But joystick support wasn’t that uncommon even early on, especially as it doubled as a poor man’s mouse.

Confirmed it has an ARM chip in it